Dismissed UGA player at Bama ??

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've read several articles suggesting that when Saban made that passionate defense of bringing in Pettway a few weeks ago, he was both defending bringing back Pettway but also setting the foundation for defending bringing in Taylor. Scab pointed out Saban knew when he made that talk that he intended to bring in Taylor and was trying to deflect any criticism of doing so by pointing out Pettway had done right since he was back on campus.

Saban's argument seems to be if we don't sign these guys they are doomed to a hard life on the street. As others have pointed out, they likely would have signed with a different school if we weren't interested. It is an honor for these guys to be allowed to rehab themselves at the top program in college football.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I don't know much about this, but what I do know I don't like.
This is pretty much how I feel. My only hope is that at the least the kid proves worthy of CNS giving him another chance and it positively affects him. The risk of him messing up again seems like potential for a big black eye for the University and CNS. This makes me believe that CNS really feels good about him, but I don't think is a risk worth taking, IMO.

I personally wouldn't have done it myself, and I am not a fan of the move.

As far as it meaning "I can't criticize AU for this anymore" and fearing that "we" will look like hypocrites means nothing to me. There are some people that seem to take every opportunity to take shots at CNS and our fanbase every chance they get and some people seem be more worried about the fact they can't cast stones at AU, LSU, etc, anymore than the fact that we are bringing in a guy with a domestic violence charge. Some people seem more worried about maintaining the appearance of their moral high horse than anything else. That aspect of it is meaningless to me. My concern is bringing in a guy that will has shown to be trouble. Hopefully he proves otherwise.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Given how little Ivory played this year and the streamlining of our defense, I'm still just surprised at bringing in another 340 DL. Does he have pass rush skills ?

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I don't know enough to know, but I sure don't like DV charges & will wait for the results. I do Trust CNS but he is human look at Duron Carter it just never worked. However he did a very good thing helping Pettway & now look at Rolando, what a change.

the thing we should Remember is that unlike API with all their thugs & FSU with Rapis Winston, there will be No Coverup.

So if you trust CNS we gotta see it play out.

having a daughter is it was true & it was my little girl, I can assure you Jail would be the safest place for him to be.

TideGrad07

Nov 8, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
This may be far fetched I know, but is there anyway Saban is trying to shore up one last National Championship run by bringing him in? I trust Saban completely in his decision making but this does seem risky. I agree with others who have stated they just dont care too much for what he is accused to have done.
Be that as it may, I feel like Saban more than ever wants one more championship under his belt before moving on to whatever it is he has planned. Roll Tide

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
This may be far fetched I know, but is there anyway Saban is trying to shore up one last National Championship run by bringing him in? I trust Saban completely in his decision making but this does seem risky. I agree with others who have stated they just dont care too much for what he is accused to have done.
Be that as it may, I feel like Saban more than ever wants one more championship under his belt before moving on to whatever it is he has planned. Roll Tide
I think CNS wants to win a Championship EVERY year, so I don't necessarily buy that. JMHO...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The only way he'll be moving is feet first. He's made that clear many times and many ways. Just a few weeks ago, he commented in an interview that he wished, looking back over his career, that he had not moved so many times but had stayed in one place and tried to accomplish more. I think the only group who still expect him to move are the rival fans, particularly AU, and, even with them, it seems to have faded to a faint hope. CNS was relatively late getting into the main advancement channel in CFB, which is GA, assistant, coordinator, HC. He jumped back and forth between the NFL and CFB, and by the time he got the Toledo job, he was in a hurry. MSU was a no brainer move and LSU even more. The Fins was a predictable mistake. Now, he's trying to build his monument at the most logical place. He's older than the average HC, so Meyer or some younger guy will eventually eclipse him. However, the one most likely place where he can make a mark which can't be equaled is in national championships. Bama is the best place for that currently. The reason he turned down UT a few years ago, IMO was not that he didn't want the extra money, which believe it or not, he needed, and it wasn't just the extra hassle connected with the pressure cooker alumni situation. I believe he correctly foresaw the collapse of the B-12 and the effect that it was going to have on UT recruiting. So, he stayed, and he will...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Would he been successful if he had went to Tennessee? I'm not sure...
The only way he'll be moving is feet first. He's made that clear many times and many ways. Just a few weeks ago, he commented in an interview that he wished, looking back over his career, that he had not moved so many times but had stayed in one place and tried to accomplish more. I think the only group who still expect him to move are the rival fans, particularly AU, and, even with them, it seems to have faded to a faint hope. CNS was relatively late getting into the main advancement channel in CFB, which is GA, assistant, coordinator, HC. He jumped back and forth between the NFL and CFB, and by the time he got the Toledo job, he was in a hurry. MSU was a no brainer move and LSU even more. The Fins was a predictable mistake. Now, he's trying to build his monument at the most logical place. He's older than the average HC, so Meyer or some younger guy will eventually eclipse him. However, the one most likely place where he can make a mark which can't be equaled is in national championships. Bama is the best place for that currently. The reason he turned down UT a few years ago, IMO was not that he didn't want the extra money, which believe it or not, he needed, and it wasn't just the extra hassle connected with the pressure cooker alumni situation. I believe he correctly foresaw the collapse of the B-12 and the effect that it was going to have on UT recruiting. So, he stayed, and he will...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Good stuff there, thanks for posting! Yea, he is going to stay and I think be on top longer than we may think. He is the youngest looking and acting old coach I've ever known. :BigA:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Given how little Ivory played this year and the streamlining of our defense, I'm still just surprised at bringing in another 340 DL. Does he have pass rush skills ?
Ivory didn't play as much year, but he played a huge role against Arky and LSU. With us playing Wisconsin and UGA next, along with Arky and LSU next year, it makes sense to me to have a dominant NT because we will play a lot of base our defense against these teams.

We are in the unique position to basically have two types of defenses with our ability to recruit. Ole Miss and LSU had very good defenses last year, and better in defending the pass and spread teams that ours. However, Arkansas ran the ball down the throat of their streamlined, smaller, athletic D lines. It makes sense that we would keep the ability to go big on the D line when a 3rd of our regular season games are against teams that primarily pound the ball between the tackles.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Moo.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
The university released a statement that this young man passed every entry requirement to be enrolled at the University of Alabama.
Whether he's a football player, or not, is a moot point.
This guy isn't exactly Al Capone.
If coach thought he was a problem, he wouldn't be here. It's that simple.
sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.