One year eligibile transfers potentially hurts program

JAXFLBAMAFAN

All-SEC
Nov 30, 1999
Jacksonville FL
CNS certainly has more insight, just my observation......02. It is the offseason. :)

I'm sure I'm not the only person to bandy this thought around but; I think the 1 year eligible transfer has the potention to harm the overall program.

HS recruits are signed for a 4 year ride or 3 if they are NFL caliber.

Juco recruits have at least 2 years of eligibility left and are usually set to start their first year if CNS signs them.

Transfers with 1 year of eligibility take a scholarship away from a solid JUCO or HS longterm commit.

Coker may not be a good example but our 5th year senior beat him out.

It seems that this type of player reduces the program to "one hit wonder" program instead of a program seeking longterm success.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I guess it depends. If the QB you already have is a freshman or sophomore or maybe not as good yet, then having a 5th year senior come in doesn't always hurt. Kansas State though makes a living off singing 15+ JUCO's every year seemingly.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Highly touted recruits that never do a thing potentially hurt a program, too.

Poor coaching potentially hurts a program, too.

What's your point?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't understand the purpose of the thread though. You haven't really stated any reasons to why it hurts programs and coaches... I've always thought there's pros and cons to having one year transfers... If you want to look at pros.. Look at transfer players who has come to Bama and they usually excel at their positions. Also it's not fair to call them one year eligible transfer... we have folks who are eligible to play for two year ( Jackson, Reed, Pettaway, Coker, Smith, etc) We probably didn't do great job with Leon Brown this year, but Jackson wasn't ready due to injuries . I've seen lot of transfer players who has excel well at other colleges, so I don't see how it hurts players and coaches.. if you did your team, and you learned something in 2 or 3 years and become a better player on and off the field, then Good for you and good luck to you. I think this is irrlevant threads because there are so many factors behind each other's transfer, ( Playing time, better atmosphere, coaches, grades, school, family, major, etc) .... I propose this thread to be shut down.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
We likely would have not have won NC's in 2009 without James Carpenter or in 2011 without Jesse Williams.. Now, I realize those players stayed 2 years, but even if they had went pro early, they would have still been instrumental in us winning a NC. If Jarran Reed and/or Pettway leave early for the draft this year, it doesn't negate the fact that they were a big part of our 12 wins and SEC Championship. If you have a hole, you have to fill it. As '91 alluded to, if you get a chance to take elite talent, you take it.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I don't understand the purpose of the thread though. You haven't really stated any reasons to why it hurts programs and coaches... I've always thought there's pros and cons to having one year transfers... If you want to look at pros.. Look at transfer players who has come to Bama and they usually excel at their positions. Also it's not fair to call them one year eligible transfer... we have folks who are eligible to play for two year ( Jackson, Reed, Pettaway, Coker, Smith, etc) We probably didn't do great job with Leon Brown this year, but Jackson wasn't ready due to injuries . I've seen lot of transfer players who has excel well at other colleges, so I don't see how it hurts players and coaches.. if you did your team, and you learned something in 2 or 3 years and become a better player on and off the field, then Good for you and good luck to you. I think this is irrlevant threads because there are so many factors behind each other's transfer, ( Playing time, better atmosphere, coaches, grades, school, family, major, etc) .... I propose this thread to be shut down.
Wow. Just because you don't agree with the subject of a thread (I don't myself) doesn't mean you have the right (or authority) to seem in irrelevant. This thread is no different than your "my thoughts" thread. He has the right to express his opinion and you don't like it, don't post...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Depends on the position.
Depends on the circumstance.
Depends on the teams needs.
LASTLY
Depends on the player.

Some teams have benefited greatly from such players.
Not a long term strategy, rather it's a special thing to either get by, or get their team over a hump.

A one time guy may be just the thing to buy time, while you develop a long term guy.

(NEVER SAY NEVER)

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
I think the OP is talking about someone like Braxton Miller who has ONLY 1 year of eligibility left. I think we can all agree that we have benefited from several JUCO players, but none of them had only 1 year of eligibility. Even Coker came in with 2 years of eligibility. I took this as a question regarding Miller, but maybe I'm reading too much into it..... or perhaps too little :)

Last edited:

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Highly touted recruits that never do a thing potentially hurt a program, too.

Poor coaching potentially hurts a program, too.

What's your point?
Exactly, teams are looking to fill needs. For whatever reasons, whether some players were mis-evaluated, didn't pan out, aren't developing the way the coaches would like, etc....sometimes coaches have to reach out for hopefully a more instant shot-in-the-arm if there's a strong enough need. Whether that be JUCO (and sometimes those turn out to be one-year deals, and *U didn't complain about Cam's one-year wonder), or a grad transfer.

At a place like Bama, I don't see the issue. We're trying to get players, and if we think a guy can play, we take 'em.

Hey, at least it's not like college hoops.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Wow, that's a very aggressive response. The OP gave a couple of good thoughts and stated why he thinks that it's a problem:

Transfers with 1 year of eligibility take a scholarship away from a solid JUCO or HS longterm commit.

It seems that this type of player reduces the program to "one hit wonder" program instead of a program seeking longterm success.
Disagree with his points if you like, but I don't see any reason at all to lock the thread.

I feel that a one-year transfer has to be a unique situation in order for it to work. Say, a position of extreme need. Another possibility is an available extreme talent that you just can't turn down. Overall I would guess it might be bad for team chemistry (not 100% of the time, of course) when a "new guy" (not a freshman) comes in and takes someone's job away from them. That was a danger/fear of mine with Coker this past season.

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I think the OP is talking about someone like Braxton Miller who has ONLY 1 year of eligibility left. I think we can all agree that we have benefited from several JUCO players, but none of them had only 1 year of eligibility. Even Coker came in with 2 years of eligibility. I took this as a question regarding Miller, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.
If any of our JUCO players would have or were to leave early, what is the difference? That is a chance you take with any JUCO guy.

Relying on JUCO guys does have the potential to create holes in the roster, but sometimes you have to do it. We relied on JUCO CB's for 4 years and it is probably part of the reason we are thin and inexperienced at CB now. We won 2 NC's by doing it though, so it is hard to call it a bad decision.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
If any of our JUCO players would have or were to leave early, what is the difference? That is a chance you take with any JUCO guy.

Relying on JUCO guys does have the potential to create holes in the roster, but sometimes you have to do it. We relied on JUCO CB's for 4 years and it is probably part of the reason we are thin and inexperienced at CB now. We won 2 NC's by doing it though, so it is hard to call it a bad decision.
I didn't say don't sign JUCO guys. I didn't even say anything about them leaving after only 1 year. I was just attempting to clarify what i believed the OP was talking about. I do believe there's a difference in signing a guy you know has two years to earn a spot vs a guy who only has one, but even then I didn't say don't sign the one year guy.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I didn't say don't sign JUCO guys. I didn't even say anything about them leaving after only 1 year. I was just attempting to clarify what i believed the OP was talking about. I do believe there's a difference in signing a guy you know has two years to earn a spot vs a guy who only has one, but even then I didn't say don't sign the one year guy.
Well you typically don't sign a JUCO guy with the mindset of 2 years to earn a spot. The goal of any JUCO signee is to contribute immediately. Otherwise you try to develop what you have. You try to sign a guy that is a shoe in, cant miss player that will play right now. (Cody, Wiilliams, Carpenter, Menzie, Belue, Reed, Pettway) That doesn't always happen (Douglas, Leon Brown, Dom Jackson, Coker, Travall Dixon, and of course Duron Carter) but make no mistake, those guys were brought in with hopes of them contributing immediately.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
Well you typically don't sign a JUCO guy with the mindset of 2 years to earn a spot. The goal of any JUCO signee is to contribute immediately. Otherwise you try to develop what you have. You try to sign a guy that is a shoe in, cant miss player that will play right now. (Cody, Wiilliams, Carpenter, Menzie, Belue, Reed, Pettway) That doesn't always happen (Douglas, Leon Brown, Dom Jackson, Coker, Travall Dixon, and of course Duron Carter) but make no mistake, those guys were brought in with hopes of them contributing immediately.
I'm not really sure why you are trying to argue with me since I haven't even voiced my opinion on the matter, but since you insist.... Leon Brown played this year as a senior (1 year), Dom Jackson seems to be a favorite on this board to play next year (senior?=1 year), and Jacob Coker will apparently play next year (senior=1 year). Now, if those three guys had come in with only one year of eligibility, they would have been, for all practical purposes, a wasted scholarship, as none of them would have produced in their first and ONLY year. However, you are correct; you would be crazy to sign a JUCO that you didn't think could contribute immediately, but you take a greater risk if your JUCO has only 1 year instead of 2.... but again, I don't really have an opinion on this. I was simply trying to state what I took the original post to mean.

BamaGene

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2014
Can't speak for OP but maybe this is another way of looking at that post. Wouldn't there be a thought that a 'one year guy,' like Miller would be if he came in, would possibly hurt future recruiting? I mean, young men come here knowing already that because of our depth they will likely not see hardly any playing time the first year and only a little more than special teams the second year before they get their chance in the rotation the third year? It seems to me that is how several of our positions work out. Now you may have kids that don't see the field at all because we bring in a 'one year guy,' not talking JUCO. You don't think future recruits won't look at that and decide to go to the Kentucky's and Tennessee's of the world where they probably see meaningful playing time as a freshman while they may end up with almost none at the Capstone?

Just my two cents and no, I wouldn't be in favor of bringing in Miller. Look how Cornwall and then Barnett have been such excellent cheerleaders/recruiters for us, they need to get a chance to play if they have the skills. They made their decisions based on who we had when they were recruited and who came in with them.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just full of it...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.