President Obama wants community college to be free

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
GA was floating doing the same with the lotto scholarships. Not sure if it has happened or not.

To me a lot of the skilled labor shortage could be fixed if high schools stopped telling everyone they should go to college and redirected some people to 2 yr schools and trade schools. Plus we'd save billions in wasted money for people that go to college for a year or 2 and realize that it isn't for them and drops out. While they are at it if you want to major in art,lit,basket weaving,etc., pay for that with your own dime. I think tax payers should foot the bill if you are going to use your degree to be a productive member of society. Not get an art degree to work as a barista at starbucks.
Georgia has the HOPE scholarship. Any Georgia high school graduate with a 3.0 GPA was given a scholarship to any University in the Georgia system. Teachers started giving many kids grades so they could get the scholarship. Because so many kids started overflowing the system they raised the GPA requirements.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Georgia has the HOPE scholarship. Any Georgia high school graduate with a 3.0 GPA was given a scholarship to any University in the Georgia system. Teachers started giving many kids grades so they could get the scholarship. Because so many kids started overflowing the system they raised the GPA requirements.
On top of that, kids were staying in college as long as possible to get more HOPE money. Students would not graduate because they wanted to keep getting the handouts. I think the amount of time one can draw HOPE for was changed as well because of this abuse.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I agree that a lot of college students would be much better suited for the community college/trade school route. But, this is not a role for Big Brother ...... The federal government needs to stop putting its heavy thumb on the supply/demand scales. The government has created scores of disciplines that shouldn't exist, or, at best, could be legitimately covered in two years' worth of college courses. Tuition inflation, grade inflation, and degree devaluation are natural results of the "everyone needs to be in college and let's guarantee the loans to make it happen" policy. Lots of wasted time and money is a high price to pay for (another) misguided progressive idea.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Tennessee also has a dental program called TennDent that offers free dental care for children that qualify who are under 21. The problem is not the children, it's the parents, the insurance company that manages payment, and dentists who abuse the system.

Free always looks good on paper. In the real world, not so much because there is always a price.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Well, when you've added $7,400,000,000,000 in debt, what's another $34,000,000,000?
Seriously. If it was coupled with reducing and eventually eliminating welfare I would be all in. Provide the folks who have been long-standing members of the welfare society a path to self-sufficiency. But this isn't what it's about unfortunately.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Yeah I know. This was talk of expanding HOPE to include 2yr programs (which i think is a good thing.)

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
What's being missed here, and apparently by virtually everyone, is that this has nothing to do with educating our youth. I repeat, Nothing.
It has everything to do with payback. Obama is just paying back those in Congress who have supported him and his policies. Even though Obama himself will not be on the ballot, his initiatives most definitely are. And this is just one more instance of those democrats who will be running for reelection doing so on Obama's coattails. During their campaigns, they can honestly say "I supported that, and still do" without attaching themselves to Obama himself.
Iow, it's just another smoke screen to prop up Obama during his final two years in office. Even though he may be a lame duck, he still has to have support from his party to pass his agenda. This is payment for their support.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Seriously. If it was coupled with reducing and eventually eliminating welfare I would be all in. Provide the folks who have been long-standing members of the welfare society a path to self-sufficiency. But this isn't what it's about unfortunately.
I could get behind a plan that says, "Your lifetime of free handouts is over. In exchange here's training for a trade that will allow you to take care of yourself." But, instead we get more "government as Santa Claus" policy.

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I've never given this issue much thought and maybe playing devils advocate a bit but why is there an arbitrary demarcation after 12 years? Why 12 instead of 14, or more, and where should it end?

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I agree with most of the comments here, nothing is free.
I have several questions as to how this will affect 4 year institutions:
Will this encourage students to take the free ride for the first two years and reduce enrollment in 4 year schools? As a result, will this slow or decrease the rise in 4 year tuition?
Will the number of federal loans for college decrease?
Does Congress have to pass a bill approving this move or will The King just decree it be done?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I agree with most of the comments here, nothing is free.
I have several questions as to how this will affect 4 year institutions:
Will this encourage students to take the free ride for the first two years and reduce enrollment in 4 year schools? As a result, will this slow or decrease the rise in 4 year tuition?
Will the number of federal loans for college decrease?
Does Congress have to pass a bill approving this move or will The King just decree it be done?
Apparently, neither. All it seems is necessary is for him to speak it, and the others bow down before him. "So it shall be written, so it shall be done."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.