Jim Tressel and Bill Snyder selected to Hall of Fame

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
He has a fantastic record at Ohio State, but it is completely marred by scandal IMO. Not just the tattoos with Pryor, et. al, but also Maurice Clarrett. IMO, Tressel is a cheater of the highest order, not unlike what went on in the renegade SWC days. But hey, isn't Pat Dye in the HOF? Seems to me that Tressel fits right in, in that case.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
He has a fantastic record at Ohio State, but it is completely marred by scandal IMO. Not just the tattoos with Pryor, et. al, but also Maurice Clarrett. IMO, Tressel is a cheater of the highest order, not unlike what went on in the renegade SWC days. But hey, isn't Pat Dye in the HOF? Seems to me that Tressel fits right in, in that case.
Yeah I suppose but college football seems to be filled with more scoundrels than the NFL.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Hey- better be careful about questioning whether the great Pat Dye should be in the Hall or not. SelmaTider will give you a dissertation of why he should be. I agree with you by the way on both Tressell and Dye.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Bill Snyder definitely belongs. Tressel ... why? how? I do not get it.

Linkage

Anyone who understands this better than I do, care to explain?
His record was 106-22 at Ohio State and he won a national championship. That's a 10-2 year EVERY year for a decade, on top of which he won FOUR national titles at Youngstown St and is the only coach to ever win a title at both levels.

As long as O.J. Simpson remains in the NFL Hall of Fame, I don't see where off-the-field stuff makes any difference. Brian Bosworth also got selected - a guy who did steroids and who actually missed the 1987 bowl game because of a positive test.

Let me put it this way: do you think Cam Newton is going in? Then well that tells you all you need to know.

And Pat Dye is in there - my goodness, the man who lost his career in the Eric Ramsey scandal, which wasn't even the SECOND time guys were paid under his AD position. (The day the Ramsey scandal broke on 9/27/91, Dye was not with Auburn in Knoxville, he was in Boston presenting findings of an internal investigation into both the Auburn b-ball and tennis teams. Charles Barkley, in fact, admitted in the spring of 1988 that he got paid at Auburn and thought athletes should get paid).

Tressel's transgressions pale in comparison to Dye's.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For that matter - aren't Broyles and Darrell Royal and who knows who else from the ole SWC?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Bill Snyder definitely belongs. Tressel ... why? how? I do not get it.

Linkage

Anyone who understands this better than I do, care to explain?
If Jim Tressel deserves to be in the college Hall of Fame, then Pete Rose deserves to be in the MLB Hall of Fame! JMHO

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Ironically though Tressel can't hold a coaching job (Still under "show cause"), he can be the sitting President of Youngstown State University.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ironically though Tressel can't hold a coaching job (Still under "show cause"), he can be the sitting President of Youngstown State University.
True enough. But then Pat Dye has been running Auburn since he was permitted back in August 1995 after a two-plus year hiatus.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.