Fun JK Scott statistic

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Hooks4bama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2005
Montgomery
His 48.0 yd average punt led the NCAA, and also the NFL.

Ray Guy was drafted in the first round at #23. Can JK Scott surpass that when his time comes?

Edit: I should give credit to a user over on BOL for this info :)

Last edited:

Zaiva

1st Team
Feb 27, 2013
That's so impressive, wow. I knew he was good, but not that good. Thank god he's on our team

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
It seems like the guy with the biggest average usually plays for a team like Vandy because the team is always punting with plenty of room. Scott not only booms the ball when he has room but routinely pins the opposing team inside their own 20. I think he's the best punter I've ever seen. Remember how good we thought Brad Wing was? JK Scott has a really good gig in his future.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
As awesome as his stats were and as amazing of a punter as he is, I long for the days when our punter didn't even qualify to lead the nation in punting because they were so rare.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I can't recall a punter that was this good; much less a freshman punter this good.

He punted 7 times in the Sugar Bowl and 5 landed inside the 20. He averaged 55 yards a kick that game. AVERAGED!

Kid is unreal.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
So serious question. How much does a punter like that play into a fake punt game? Does the return team try to get the coverage unit out faster to get downfield in order to help block and therefore leave open the chance for some faking or do they just hang the return guy out to dry that deep? I know a large part of it falls back on the HC as to if they want to gamble with the fakes or not. Just really impressed at the weapon we have back there.
You know it kills me with all the times late in the year that teams had to catch a punt over their shoulder as they turned their back and ran to catch it. Did they not watch the film and realize how far this kid can punt it?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I can't recall a punter that was this good; much less a freshman punter this good.

He punted 7 times in the Sugar Bowl and 5 landed inside the 20. He averaged 55 yards a kick that game. AVERAGED!

Kid is unreal.
We`ve had some really good punters in the past. If he stays healthy he`ll be the best we`ve ever had. He`s the best I`ve seen since Ray Guy .

Brtraker

1st Team
Nov 5, 2000
Decatur, Ala.
He may be best kicker, but he has yet to prove himself as the one with most grit. If you have been a Bama fan for the past few years you know who gets that award.... ;)

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
As awesome as his stats were and as amazing of a punter as he is, I long for the days when our punter didn't even qualify to lead the nation in punting because they were so rare.
I think more had to do with the fact that he is a Fr than anything else. The fact he led everyone in punting should have made him a shoe in for the award.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
He may be best kicker, but he has yet to prove himself as the one with most grit. If you have been a Bama fan for the past few years you know who gets that award.... ;)
Let's not even go there. I don't want to see him get any grittier than he is... just keep flipping the field and burying our opponents on their own goal line.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Ray Guy was drafted in the first round at #23. Can JK Scott surpass that when his time comes?
I think so. That 48 yd average is better than any season Guy had.

Ray Guy was a rare athlete. He also played DB at Southern Miss and was great there, too. When Southern Miss came in, it was fun just watching him warmup punt at Denny Stadium (later Bryant Denny), because he would really pound it. I had not seen anybody like him until Scott.

Plus, Scott has all kinds of training and technique that I don't think existed in Guy's 1970-72 college era. With good health, I could easily see Scott going first round and having a Hall of Fame career in the NFL.

Last edited:

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA

Ray Guy was a rare athlete. He also played DB at Southern Miss and was great there, too. When Southern Miss came in, it was fun just watching him warmup punt at Denny Stadium (later Bryant Denny), because he would really pound it. I had not seen anybody like him until Scott.

Plus, Scott has all kinds of training and technique that I don't think existed in Guy's 1970-72 college era. With good health, I could easily see Scott going first round and having a Hall of Fame career in the NFL.
I feel like I'm watching Tiger Woods circa 2000 when I see Scott punt. He's got every shot in the bag. Needs to take a driver 350 yards over trees? He can do that. Needs to drop a wedge over a gaping bunker to a flag three paces on? He can do that too.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I think more had to do with the fact that he is a Fr than anything else. The fact he led everyone in punting should have made him a shoe in for the award.
I'm not sure I follow. I was referring to the year(s?) that Cody Mandell didn't even show up on the rankings because he didn't even have enough punts to qualify - meaning we weren't even having 4th downs.

And if Scott continues and improves, he won't be a first rounder but he'll be drafted and possibly on the first day.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

Ray's career average at USM was 44.7 ypk, which is the NCAA record (for those who punted up to 249 times in career). At JK's current clip he will pass Ray and become NCAA's all-time leader. I was at the University also jabcmb, when Ray came to DS. Greatness.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.