Walk-On WR Parker Barrineau Tweets He's Going on Scholarship

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Way to go, parker! I love hearing stuff like this!

Good news. Need more walk ons.
There's another kid named Bo Grant that is a walk-on and he has traveled to the bowl games over the last 2 years. He is a great kid, very talented, and super hard working. The odds are stacked against him ever playing significantly (he played DE in HS, but works out with our OLB's) with the sick talent we are bringing in, but is one of those guys that just makes your team better. CNS has rewarded his hard work with letting him dress out for all the home games and letting him travel to the Bowl games.

It is amazing to me that we have guys this talented on our roster that are paying their way to go to school just because there is nowhere else they would rather play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC89freDV8s

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Could this be a sign that we are done with this class and thus the offers to Parker and Michael?
I think it probably has more to do with the signing limit and how that works out. If I understand it correctly, an EE can count towards the previous class, in essence perpetually rolling the draconian, NCAA like penalty the SEC imposed forward. But, as soon as you don't use up all your EE slots on recruits, they vanish into thin air (I could be wrong, but I know it worked that way in the past)

So, it seems more likely that what happened is when a couple intended targets were not able to be EEs, there were two empty slots that Alabama can not fill by signing a player. So, why not use them on seniors?

We saw a similar thing happen before when the signing limit kept Alabama from signing a couple people they wanted, and as it turns out they had the scholarships available, they just used them to pull someone up from greyshirting (I presume he had signed) and give a walk-on a scholarship.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think it probably has more to do with the signing limit and how that works out. If I understand it correctly, an EE can count towards the previous class, in essence perpetually rolling the draconian, NCAA like penalty the SEC imposed forward. But, as soon as you don't use up all your EE slots on recruits, they vanish into thin air (I could be wrong, but I know it worked that way in the past)

So, it seems more likely that what happened is when a couple intended targets were not able to be EEs, there were two empty slots that Alabama can not fill by signing a player. So, why not use them on seniors?

We saw a similar thing happen before when the signing limit kept Alabama from signing a couple people they wanted, and as it turns out they had the scholarships available, they just used them to pull someone up from greyshirting (I presume he had signed) and give a walk-on a scholarship.
Here's a breakdown of the remaining players from the recruiting classes since 2010 on the 2014 team from RBR.

As of July 7, the roster was at 87 players after Brandon Hill left the team. Then, Bo Scarbrough and Montel McBride didn't qualify, which cut the roster to 85 players.

Bama is losing all 10 players remaining from the 2010 class, putting the total to 75.

There are two players (Trey and Christion Jones) from the 2011 class leaving, which leaves 73 spots.

With the three juniors leaving along with Kurt Freitag no longer on the team, the number goes to 69 spots.

Leon Brown graduated, so the final number is 68 if we can assume all players who signed a NLI remain on scholarship.

247 lists the current recruiting class at 26 players but includes a guy that made a public statement indicating he won't be included in the class. That leaves 25 players with a couple of possible additions in the next month. I'm not sure the EEs would matter in this case since the numbers are so tight.

Some guys have to be paying their own way, and we just don't know it.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Congrats Parker! He made some great catches in the A-day game. Not afraid to catch the ball over the middle. Well deserved. We will need some experience at WR next year. I bet he gets some meaningful snaps.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.