News Article: Bloomberg: Proof That College Football Refs Are Riddled With Bias

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Interesting Article from Bloomberg Businessweek

Proof That College Football Refs Are Riddled With Bias

Based on a complex analysis of penalty yards assessed over the course of eight seasons, the study by professors at Miami University of Ohio and Florida State University suggests, for instance, that ACC and Big 12 refs tend to penalize home teams less during games between conference rivals. Favored Big Ten teams are penalized fewer yards when playing nonconference teams, the study says, while Big 12 officials appear to punish teams that play faster—a potential concern for the go-go Ducks on Monday night.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Interesting Article from Bloomberg Businessweek

Proof That College Football Refs Are Riddled With Bias
I find it interesting that they found little evidence of bias by SEC refs. If you listen to certain of our SEC brethren, Alabama always gets the calls in big games. Some even want the SEC offices moved from Birmingham! This is an interesting analysis, but some people will never believe we don't get help. RTR!

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I find it interesting that they found little evidence of bias by SEC refs. If you listen to certain of our SEC brethren, Alabama always gets the calls in big games. Some even want the SEC offices moved from Birmingham! This is an interesting analysis, but some people will never believe we don't get help. RTR!
SEC refs suffer from general incompetence, I don't think they favor one team over another.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
They could have broadened the study and simply said "Human Beings are riddled with bias." It is human judgment. If they want to find non-biased refs, they should begin programming one.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I remember when a buddy of mine said, "Marge Schott is not a racist, she hates everybody."

The SEC referees are not biased, they just suffer from extreme incompetence (which is NOT the urinary disorder - that's what they CAUSE in SEC fans).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Interesting that he thinks that centralization is the answer. For years, I've advocated bringing the basketball refs back under the conference and get away from the "independent contractor" concept, so we could have more control. I think that anyone who thinks centralization will help needs to take a long look at the basketball situation...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Interesting that he thinks that centralization is the answer. For years, I've advocated bringing the basketball refs back under the conference and get away from the "independent contractor" concept, so we could have more control. I think that anyone who thinks centralization will help needs to take a long look at the basketball situation...
The larger the "body" that controls an organization - the more incompetence that evolves.....

Keep it small - keep it controllable..... works in almost any area of society....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't see this as proof of anything. Statistics can be made to mean whatever you wish - they are just numbers for which we try to apply meaning, even where there is no meaning. These stats certainly do not prove what is in the minds of the officials.

I believe that there are refs who are biased because they are people, and everyone is biased. But the alleged biases listed are too meaningless to be intentional. If refs throw more flags in a game with more plays, maybe the refs are just tired and want to rest.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I don't see this as proof of anything. Statistics can be made to mean whatever you wish - they are just numbers for which we try to apply meaning, even where there is no meaning. These stats certainly do not prove what is in the minds of the officials.

I believe that there are refs who are biased because they are people, and everyone is biased. But the alleged biases listed are too meaningless to be intentional. If refs throw more flags in a game with more plays, maybe the refs are just tired and want to rest.
67% of all statistics are made up on the spot ... 99% of the time. :)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

You have to wonder if maybe they call more flags those other places because - duh! - more penalties are committed by those teams!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.