193 vehicle pileup closes I-94 in west Michigan

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
GALESBURG, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Crews are continuing to work through the night on the crash on I-94 that has closed the highway in both directions until early Saturday morning.

An estimated 193 vehicles were involved--76 semis, and 117 cars.
One semi was loaded with over 44,000 pounds of formic acid, and another hauling thousands of pounds of fireworks that erupted into a huge fireball.
There's still no information on how it all happened, as investigators are reconstructing the entire accident, which could take weeks.
Currently drivers are being transported back to their cars, so they can be cleared off the highway.
Temperatures below 10 degrees, with strong winds, don't make moving semi-trucks easy at all, but crews won't stop until I-94 is back open.
link

Michigan State Police Lt. Rick Pazder says the accident killed one person — a trucker from Ottawa, Canada — and injured an unknown number of people.
link

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
video of the fireworks at the link

[video]http://fox17online.com/2015/01/09/video-truck-carrying-fireworks-explodes-near-i-94-hazmat-situation/[/video]

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Wow. That video was crazy. There was nothing they could do to stop.
Other than slow down in the first place.
Not far from me, on Interstate 77 at Fancy Gap, the interstate experiences a serious drop in altitude over a short distance and there is serious fog on numerous occasions. Serious fog that limits visibility to 50 feet or so. And drivers will just barrel into a thick fog bank doing 75 miles an hour. They've had numerous pile-ups there, including one with 93 vehicles and three deaths in April 2013. And that was with traction that was fine. You just couldn't see very far.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Read about this and they are reporting only one death so far. After seeing the video and other pics I won't be surprised if there are more. Terrible.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
The fatality had to be the trucker that hit the pileup @ full speed in the video. That was insane.

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Not far from me, on Interstate 77 at Fancy Gap, the interstate experiences a serious drop in altitude over a short distance and there is serious fog on numerous occasions. Serious fog that limits visibility to 50 feet or so. And drivers will just barrel into a thick fog bank doing 75 miles an hour. They've had numerous pile-ups there, including one with 93 vehicles and three deaths in April 2013. And that was with traction that was fine. You just couldn't see very far.
And most of those using their cruise control, no doubt.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
There's a stretch like that just north of Knoxville, I think. I-81?

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I was just thinking about that 7.5 mile stretch that has a "Runaway Truck Ramp" every mile or so. I have driven down that mountain numerous times when that 50 foot visibility you described would have been welcome. We drove down that stretch last Sunday night and I prayed it would be clear (it was). On a clear day it's beautiful, with Pilot Mountain a few miles away. On a foggy day it's a nail biter.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.