Bored:Who thinks the offense will evolve from last year? What the changes may be?

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
Well first for me.I think it will again play to the hand of QB,more passes spread across the field,less running between the tackles with Drake coming back,we should be able too speed up the calls after one year,less Henry, I think he will become more of a decoy on running downs and run some of course on short yardage.Take it away guys!

Last edited:

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
There will be evolution because we will have a new QB with a different set of strengths and weaknesses. It will depend on who the QB is. The loss of Cooper will also have a big effect. I would personally like to see more of the power run game. We'll know more once we solidify the depth chart.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I would imagine there will be fewer designed quarterback runs, you'll probably see a willingness to go deep with a bit more frequency. There will be less dependency on one particular player with Coop being gone, so more receivers will get involved. I also would imagine we'll concentrate on making TE a bigger weapon than we have been.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Drake coming back (assuming he comes back 100%) adds another dimension to the offense. In fact, losing him this year changed a lot of what Kiffin liked to do. It may take a few games to gel, but I really believe the talent on the O-Line is going to be improved. Somebody is going to have to step up as an inside runner with loss of TJ. Losing Coop is obviously big, but I do believe the ball will be spread around more, and I think we are going to be fine at WR. We have some very talented guys that got some valuable playing time this year.

All in all, there is going to some butt nasty talent on offense, and it will be interesting to see how it comes together.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think we'll see more under center dropback. They won't abandon the shotgun but you figure the talent mix lends itself to more 1 TE 2 Back and 2 TE 1 Back sets.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
If Drake is 100%, he will be the new "Cooper". We will have to think of a chant for him.

and I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say "the TE will be more of a weapon next year"

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If Drake is 100%, he will be the new "Cooper". We will have to think of a chant for him.

and I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say "the TE will be more of a weapon next year"
He had a horrific break but in the tough comparison of ligament tears v. bone breaks...the bone healing process is a bit more reliable for quick turnarounds. I think some of Eddie Jackson's struggles this year were recovery related. It took Hightower a full season to get his legs under him after an ACL issue.

All that said, if Drake is able to play at a high level and protect the football then the sky is the limit for him. And I agree with you about the TEs. I'm done expecting big things from the TE position...because I've been burnt on that prediction several years. In truth, we may need that from Howard since he's the leading returning receiver!

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
I agree I think the Drake injury really did hurt our off,then Yeldon at the end or the year,Coop got most of the passes I think because of this.They played too Blakes strengths,I see the ball being spread around more. Why because Coach Saban sees his defense struggling from years past and will open things up from his norm, how much we will see.If Henry is going to run between tackles for any yards there going to have to get him bigger holes at the line of scrimmage IMO.Once he gets through it he is a threat.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I hope the offense stay the same, it's a proven offense that wins NC's, it just needs an "Elite" Qb to play within the system..And can go through the check downs & makes the right read of progressions to find the open WR..Cause while Coop was a great WR, continually forcing the ball to him, left a lot of yards on the field cause there were other WR's open, but, the ball still was forced to Coop no matter what..And Blake simply locked in on Coop every play it seemed like..I know all the other WR's are true team players, but, you know it had to ruffle some other WR's feathers the wrong way..Cause of the ball was forced to Coop nearly every pass play & Blake zoned in on Coop every play..Then on the rare occasions Coker came in guess what happened..The ball was distributed to other WR's & proved other WR's were open other than Coop "When Coop Was Always Covered Like White On Rice" by defenses..Coop made the plays & was the best ever, but, it came at the expense of his WR's teammates hardly ever getting the ball thrown their way..Flame away..That's just my opinion & I can respect others that will disagree with me..

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I hope the offense stay the same, it's a proven offense that wins NC's, it just needs an "Elite" Qb to play within the system..And can go through the check downs & makes the right read of progressions to find the open WR..Cause while Coop was a great WR, continually forcing the ball to him, left a lot of yards on the field cause there were other WR's open, but, the ball still was forced to Coop no matter what..And Blake simply locked in on Coop every play it seemed like..I know all the other WR's are true team players, but, you know it had to ruffle some other WR's feathers the wrong way..Cause of the ball was forced to Coop nearly every pass play & Blake zoned in on Coop every play..Then on the rare occasions Coker came in guess what happened..The ball was distributed to other WR's & proved other WR's were open other than Coop "When Coop Was Always Covered Like White On Rice" by defenses..Coop made the plays & was the best ever, but, it came at the expense of his WR's teammates hardly ever getting the ball thrown their way..Flame away..That's just my opinion & I can respect others that will disagree with me..
Blake's play put us in the playoffs and he won us several games to get us there. I couldn't disagree more. We can only hope that Coker can fill his shoes.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Depending on the OL, the offense should be more along the lines of what we've had the previous years of Saban's tenure. Should be a more aggressive up front, which will allow for a better run game. Then, Coker will be able to go deep on play action.

Like someone else said, we should be in more 21 or 12 formations.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I feel that if the O-line is better like some have predicted even with the lost of three starters we will run much more. We need to slow the game down to help the defense out some, but at the same time you can't argue with how good our offense move the ball.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think there is a lot of truth to what you say, and I do think BS locked in on AC sometimes at the expense of throwing to others, but the real issue may have been we weren't able to line up under center and run and set up play action because we weren't able to control the LOS like we had been able to do in the past.

It could have been a combination of the LOS weakness and BS being able to run the offense from under center and being able to make the right reads and audibles.

FWIW, I think BS had an amazing year and I'm grateful (as I know you are too) for his contributions to the program.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Like I said I love Blake & think what he done at Bama is amazing..I just didn't like how he zoned in on Coop every pass play, I would to in honesty if I were Blake, I'm just saying there were open WR's besides Coop(and Coop wasn't open most plays..he just made great plays to catch the ball) when Blake would force the ball to Coop..It's just my opinion..If y'all disagree I can respect that..Cause when Coker did play on rare occasions..He threw it to other WR"s other than Coop..

I'm not trying to dump on Blake, what he did is amazing & will always be one of my favorites ever to play at Bama, I think we will see the ball spread around more next year, will that makes us a better or worse offense, I have no clue, but, I do lean to the side that it will make us an even better offense & help open up our run game when a D has to worry about all the WR's & not just one....That's just my opinion & am not trying to start an argument, if others disagree, I totally can & do respect their opinion..It's just my opinion is all..
Blake's play put us in the playoffs and he won us several games to get us there. I couldn't disagree more. We can only hope that Coker can fill his shoes.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree 100% with ya Bro & think had Blake had one more year at Bama, he would have been a different QB next year & would have spread the ball around to all the WR's, it suxs we will never know how good he would have been his 2nd year as our starter..
I think there is a lot of truth to what you say, and I do think BS locked in on AC sometimes at the expense of throwing to others, but the real issue may have been we weren't able to line up under center and run and set up play action because we weren't able to control the LOS like we had been able to do in the past.

It could have been a combination of the LOS weakness and BS being able to run the offense from under center and being able to make the right reads and audibles.

FWIW, I think BS had an amazing year and I'm grateful (as I know you are too) for his contributions to the program.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Like I said I love Blake & think what he done at Bama is amazing..I just didn't like how he zoned in on Coop every pass play, I would to in honesty if I were Blake, I'm just saying there were open WR's besides Coop(and Coop wasn't open most plays..he just made great plays to catch the ball) when Blake would force the ball to Coop..It's just my opinion..If y'all disagree I can respect that..Cause when Coker did play on rare occasions..He threw it to other WR"s other than Coop..

I'm not trying to dump on Blake, what he did is amazing & will always be one of my favorites ever to play at Bama, I think we will see the ball spread around more next year, will that makes us a better or worse offense, I have no clue, but, I do lean to the side that it will make us an even better offense & help open up our run game when a D has to worry about all the WR's & not just one....That's just my opinion & am not trying to start an argument, if others disagree, I totally can & do respect their opinion..It's just my opinion is all..
Were there open receivers? I couldn't see the same field that Blake was seeing sitting in my armchair.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
The new OL who will take the seniors spots are all superb run blockers. I suspect we will be a bit morevrun next year.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

I agree with you. It showed up more when Yeldon went down.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.