Do the Seahawks have the cure to the spread?

CrimsonblakeII

Scout Team
Feb 19, 2012
Seattle, WA
So I've been up here in Seattle for a little over a year and a half and have become all too familiar with this team. When I moved up here I found common ground with their focus on teamwork, good defense, solid running game and a passionate fan base, but primarily with their defense. However, as our defense has struggled with dynamic offenses with mobile QB's, the seahawks have thrived and have pretty much shut down everyone who's come in their path. Watching the Panthers game is when they said Pete Carroll has a formula for what type of players he wants at each position and the biggest takeaway I got was from how he went after certain types of defensive linemen. He wants his line to be long and fast to swat passes and take away passing lanes. Which is something you see all the time from their line. I noticed at one point they had 2 down linemen to rush the QB and they had a DE/LB spying Cam at all times.

Do you think Saban could learn from Pete?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, you have no problem with spread offenses. You struggle with QBs that can run.

Seattle defeats the spread by playing tight man coverage. They probably commit holding on every single play based on today's rules, but they get away with it because they do it so close to the LOS. They are very, very physical at the LOS at every position, and their DBs are good enough to recover quickly when a WR manages to break away from them. They disrupt the timing of almost every route, and the passing windows are very tight. I am not sure that any college team will have enough talent to replicate what they do.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We'll see how the Seahawks do when the young guys on defense (ala Sherman) are free agents. IIRC, they have a few guys on the team that will warrant big pay days at the same time, so they'll have to decide which guy they prefer to pay.

Doesn't hurt to have guys like Sherman, Taylor, Chancellor and Maxwell in the secondary. Allows the front 7 to do more.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
We continue to lose top JR defensive backfield players to to the NFL. That coupled with Coach Saban's style of "on an island" defensive coverage are the causes for our problems. I hate losing kids a year early to the draft and then replacing them with young, inexperienced ones.

Also, our lack of any type of QB pressure doesn't help either.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Seahawks run a very simple defense. Its a “Cover Three” or three-deep zone — three defensive backs splitting coverage into three sections. Essentially, the cornerbacks cover the sides of the field outside the hash marks with free safety Earl Thomas responsible for the area between the hash marks (this has the advantage of allowing strong safety Kam Chancellor to play closer to the line of scrimmage giving this defense an 8 man box). Its extremely hard to run against.

Up front, the Seahawks try to get the best of both worlds. While Seattle uses a base 4-3, it also incorporates many elements of the 3-4.

But the core of Seattle's defense is what is generally called a “4-3 Under’’ front, using four defensive linemen and three linebackers. Under means the four linemen are typically aligned away from the offense’s strong side (where the tight end lines up) with a linebacker stationed on the line of scrimmage on the strong side.

You need the personnel to run this though. Does anyone know of any College teams that run this defense? You need a very good DL and a very good Secondary for this defense to work. Your LB's have to be fast and able to cover a lot of ground too. If you have the right players, this defense can be extremely suffocating.

Last edited:

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011
3 of the 4 All Pro DBs were Seahawks.

If we have 3 first team AA DBs, I bet we're not worrying about the HUNH .
You know what's crazy about this fact?

Byron Maxwell was picked round 6 - #173.
Richard Sherman was picked round 5 - #154.
Earl Thomas was picked round 1 - #14.
Kam Chancellor was picked round 5 - #133

Either this front office always gets it right in the draft, this team knows how to develop talent, this defensive system is amazing, or they are just very very lucky.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
They maul the receivers. Pure and simple. Off the line, then they get away with physical play that wouldn't be allowed in the college game.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Having far and away the best secondary in the NFL makes any offense moot.

Bama got weaker the further back on the D you went in 2014. Bad corner play and LBs that couldn't cover the middle of the field will make you look bad against spread teams.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.