LSU in Contact with Alabama DC Kirby Smart (Update - Kevin Steele is new LSU DC)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: LSU has been in Contact with Alabama DC Kirby Smart, Bears DC Mel Tucker About Jo

I'm saying, Look at Nuss.. he has been successful elsewhere, and then he came to Bama.. He did decent job, but we were frustrated with his playcalling at times. I just don't think Bill Clark is really ready to work in SEC just yet..... He's real good, but Can he suceed in SEC?
Well, Saban interviewed Clark for the DB job when he came to Bama in 2007. Clark can coach DBs and possibly be full-time DC or DC with Kevin Steele or Lance Thompson.

When Nuss got to Bama, he had not been a play caller. Steve Sarkisian was the play caller at Washington, so that's not a great comparison.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: LSU has been in Contact with Alabama DC Kirby Smart, Bears DC Mel Tucker About Jo

I'm saying, Look at Nuss.. he has been successful elsewhere, and then he came to Bama.. He did decent job, but we were frustrated with his playcalling at times.
He won his only national championship against the toughest conference in the country. He hadn't coached at a program that had sniffed a championship, with his teams going 7-6, 5-7, 7-6, 7-6. Then he comes to Bama and goes 13-1 and 11-2, almost eclipsing the previous four years (his entire career as a collegiate OC) in wins in two seasons and gathering SECCG and BCSCG rings along the way. Was one play away from playing for a second SEC ring and likely one game and one play away from playing for another BCS ring.

And no, he's not a great OC. Almost any coach can look good at Bama. We make coaches look better than they are.

Last edited:

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

I doubt anything comes out of this. IF it's true and materalizes into something, we'll know before Wednesday. I would imgaine they would want a DC Coach to be in place by dead period... I think it's a sign that LSU can't get anyone eto take the job at LSU.. and its a sign that Les Miles may have worn out his welcome mat...
Maybe because miles has worn out his welcome mat they want CKS on standby for 2016.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

He won his only national championship against the toughest conference in the country. He hadn't coached at a program that had sniffed a championship, with his teams going 7-6, 5-7, 7-6, 7-6. Then he comes to Bama and goes 13-1 and 11-2, almost eclipsing the previous four years (his entire career as a collegiate OC) in wins in two seasons and gathering SECCG and BCSCG rings along the way. Was one play away from playing for a second SEC ring and likely one game and one play away from playing for another BCS ring.

And no, he's not a great OC. Almost any coach can look good at Bama. We make coaches look better than they are.

Do you have the fax number to the HR department at the Athletic Department? I've coached youth football for eight years. My wife would love the "bump" in salary. :biggrin2:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Whats with "Bill Clark" comments? Dude is good, but we don't know how good he will be with the talents thrown at him at Bama... Just because a person has successful career doesnt mean they will be sucessful at Bama :) LSU board keeps saying its 90 percent done... *side eye*
We dont know what we would get from Clark just like we dont know if Smart will have a turnaround. I personally think taking a chance on Clark could only help us. I think he would have the fire that Kirby had when he first got here and was trying to make a name for himself. Im not on the boat that we need to part ways with kirby, but if we do I would hope for an up and coming coach and Clark would be at the top for me.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

I'll try to find the exact quote, but Saban has said in the past that he supports his staffers leaving if they get promotions. I can't remember if he said he doesn't support lateral moves or if he just left that as implied. Anywho, I seriously doubt Kirby would ever do anything that wasn't supported by Saban. Unless he went to Saban personally and said I just can't take it here anymore. And I just don't see that happening.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I think LSU knows who they want..... My gut feeling is that... Zook? :) I'm taking wild guess.
I'll try to find the exact quote, but Saban has said in the past that he supports his staffers leaving if they get promotions. I can't remember if he said he doesn't support lateral moves or if he just left that as implied. Anywho, I seriously doubt Kirby would ever do anything that wasn't supported by Saban. Unless he went to Saban personally and said I just can't take it here anymore. And I just don't see that happening.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com

I know that CKS-to-LSU is a longshot and the contact apparently was several days back, but what if it included HCIW status there? Wonder if that changes anything? Does that make it enough of a "step up" (combined with likely pay raise) that we would be in danger of losing him?

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

How could LSU promise HCIW to someone who has never been a head coach? Wouldn't that be a sign of desperation?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

How could LSU promise HCIW to someone who has never been a head coach? Wouldn't that be a sign of desperation?
Most people i've ever heard tagged with HCIW had zero head coaching experience.

That said, iirc NCAA rules now say HCIW means cuts into recruiting time on the road, so i doubt you'll see much of that anymore.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

LSU steps up pursuit of Alabama's Kirby Smart for defensive coordinator opening

LSU has stepped up its pursuit of Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart for the same job with the Tigers, sources close to LSU told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune on Tuesday.

There is mutual interest from Smart for the job left open when John Chavis left for the same job at Texas A&M the day after the Tigers' Music City Bowl loss to Notre Dame on Dec. 30. Smart is now among the leading candidates and talks between the two sides are ongoing.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL

Mel Tucker to LSU sounds good to me. Both for the Bears and the Tide.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I'm seeing this from different source... Sounds like we will lose him... This could be real interesting....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I would love to hear what's going on inside the door at Alabama...

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

They're some of you on here that have shown some pretty good inside knowledge on things like this. I have none, but it seems to me that if this is serious or happens, Kirby would have gotten Coach's blessing and it might be a mutual agreement that the time has come for him to move on. I don't mean that in a negative way at all... sometimes changing the old guard ain't a bad thing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.