LSU in Contact with Alabama DC Kirby Smart (Update - Kevin Steele is new LSU DC)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I know there's already a thread about the LSU DC position but figured the mention of Kirby would get the entire thread off course. This might indicate there's a change coming in Tuscaloosa.

Link

LSU officials have been in contact with Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart and Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Mel Tucker regarding the school’s search for a replacement for John Chavis, multiple sources told The Advocate on Monday.

It’s unclear how serious of candidates Smart and Tucker are, but each coach – at least through intermediaries – has spoken with representatives at LSU about the defensive coordinator opening.

Tucker, a one-time LSU assistant who’s spent much of his career in the pros, is not expected to be retained on the Bears staff after the firing of head coach Marc Trestman.

Smart, 39, just completed his seventh season as Alabama’s defensive coordinator. He’s spent much of his career in college football, with stops at Valdosta State, LSU (2004), Georgia and Florida State.

Smart’s interest in the LSU job remains unclear. His current position is similar to LSU’s opening – a highly-paid defensive coordinator at a Southeastern Conference Western Division power.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: LSU has been in Contact with Alabama DC Kirby Smart, Bears DC Mel Tucker About Jo

Seems like he would take a head coaching gig at a smaller school before a parallel job move within the SEC.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Re: LSU has been in Contact with Alabama DC Kirby Smart, Bears DC Mel Tucker About Jo

The only benefit I see for Smart in a move like this would be to prove himself without Saban (not that I think he needs to). If he were to mastermind excellent defenses at LSU, no one could say "He's just running Saban's defense". But I think the risk greatly outweighs any reward.

My guess this is just a part of Saban's policy to have assistants interview so that they understand the process and are well practiced when the gig they really want pops open.

ragincajunkarl

May 24, 2013
Lafayette, LA

I just see Smart getting a raise if there is any substance to this. He has been at Bama longer than most assistant coaches usually do, but it wouldn't make much sense to me unless he was a coach-in-waiting after Miles leaves or gets fired. A lot of people around where I live are tired of him.

He's got a good gig at Bama. No reason to leave if they pay isn't substantially more.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

He wont leave. Saban probably told him to do it, just so he can get the raise.. but raise for what? I see Brick haley getting this job... This should've never taken this long to find the DC for LSU.... Something isn't right.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

I don't know why Coach Smart would consider that move. If his objective is to further build his resume to get a HC job someday then he should stay at Alabama since his chances for another NC are better here than LSU (at least as long as we have CNS).

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL

A lateral move that makes little sense career wise for him. But I thought the same of Chavis' move to aTm.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Chavis left because he was frustrated with LSU offense... they regressed in recent years...
A lateral move that makes little sense career wise for him. But I thought the same of Chavis' move to aTm.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I agree that a lateral move makes little sense other than trying to get a raise at Bama. Now for Chavis, I don't see a head coaching job for him in the future.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

I just see Smart getting a raise if there is any substance to this. He has been at Bama longer than most assistant coaches usually do, but it wouldn't make much sense to me unless he was a coach-in-waiting after Miles leaves or gets fired. A lot of people around where I live are tired of him.

He's got a good gig at Bama. No reason to leave if they pay isn't substantially more.
I heard his wife is quite happy in T'town. Can't blame her. Its gotta be tough to be a coach's family and not able to really grow some roots.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

I wasn't as surprised by Chavis, but I see him as a guy who is happy as a DC. His motivations for moving would be a little different than Kirby (who I view as having larger aspirations). He could want the challenge of rebuilding the A&M defense to its Wrecking Crew days.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

I agree that it sounds like something is rotten in Baton Rouge. Kirby is just coming into his own at 39, he'll have lots of opportunities to be the head coach. I think he'll wait for that.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

The only way I see Kirby going to LSU is if he was encouraged to do so. I've seen nothing to indicate Coach isn't happy with him.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

If Smart moves sideways to be the LSU DC he might ought to change his name. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.