Will the Oregon loss slow down the proliferation of HUNH offenses?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I doubt it. It still gives lesser teams a chance to win.
This - what we saw (again) last night is that Oregon can't line up and play smash-mouth football, but Oregon wouldn't have even been there without the HUNH.

That said, Auburn played pretty smash-mouth last year and rode it all the way to the BCSCG.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
Makes me think of the movie, We are Marshall. The coach wanted to run the power I, but found out that he did not have the talent to execute it. What did he do? He ran the vere. So, he played to what he had. These lesser talented teams will continue to run the HUNH, because that is the only way that they can compete. JMHO

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Bingo - before the clock change in 2008 (which created the environment that allows the HUNH), Oregon couldn't compete at a high level, going 39-23 from 2003-2007...
That and the refs in college run with the offense. People wonder why the hunh doesn't work in the pros and it is 2 reasons
1. The defenses are faster and
2. The refs move at a set speed regardless of the situation. Also worth noting there is a continuous clock in the pros that prevents stopping the clock to move the chains for a first down.

College is all about video game offenses now and until we figure a definitive way to stop them or we get the personnel to run a true smash mouth offense; then we will have to rely on clk out scoring folks

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Bingo - before the clock change in 2008 (which created the environment that allows the HUNH), Oregon couldn't compete at a high level, going 39-23 from 2003-2007...
Couldn't it be argued that the rule changes have allowed the HUNH to flourish? Up until that point it took a special talent, like Timmay Tebow or $cam Newton to propel spread offenses to national prominence. Now it takes far less talent to push them to the forefront.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That and the refs in college run with the offense.
It exists because of the change in the clock - before that, no one ran it at the collegiate level. The closest thing was the 2-minute offense but no one ran that all the time.

Couldn't it be argued that the rule changes have allowed the HUNH to flourish?
See above. The NCAA cowed to the broadcasters in order to shorten the game - all the broadcasters have done is cram in more commercials in the same space.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The pros hate the explosion of the HUNH. QB's are coming out totally unprepared for the next level. They can't read defenses because the QB in that system read the end not the secondary and lb's for the most part. I suspect when kids start to figure out that they could be hurting their potential draft status, we won't see a move away from the HUNH.

I personally would love to see us go back to the power I and run it down peoples throat. Unfortunately our O-line is not ready to do that right now.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Makes me think of the movie, We are Marshall. The coach wanted to run the power I, but found out that he did not have the talent to execute it. What did he do? He ran the vere. So, he played to what he had. These lesser talented teams will continue to run the HUNH, because that is the only way that they can compete. JMHO
And nothing wrong with that! We just have to stop them, OSU did!

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
The pros hate the explosion of the HUNH. QB's are coming out totally unprepared for the next level. They can't read defenses because the QB in that system read the end not the secondary and lb's for the most part. I suspect when kids start to figure out that they could be hurting their potential draft status, we won't see a move away from the HUNH.

I personally would love to see us go back to the power I and run it down peoples throat. Unfortunately our O-line is not ready to do that right now.
Since the HUNH is not an offense, I don't believe that is what is killing QB play at the NFL level. I do believe that the spread / read-option offenses are what is really hurting QB play at the next level in the description you gave in your post. I don't believe utilizing a "quick-snap" gimmick has anything to do with what type of an offense a team may choose to run. A team could easily run a power run, or a pro style offense and still utilize the HUNH gimmick.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Guys... Oregon is 0-2 in championship game... We can flash offense all we want, but in the end, Defense wins the game. You would've thought by now Oregon would beef up their defense line, and get litlte more discplined with run games. Tearms are going to notice that, and believe me... The fast ball offense will disappear soon.. and that's why You see Saban being stubborn to stay with defense... beause he knows what's coming... :)

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Guys... Oregon is 0-2 in championship game... We can flash offense all we want, but in the end, Defense wins the game. You would've thought by now Oregon would beef up their defense line, and get litlte more discplined with run games. Tearms are going to notice that, and believe me... The fast ball offense will disappear soon.. and that's why You see Saban being stubborn to stay with defense... beause he knows what's coming... :)
IMO, the HUNH will not stop until the clock rule is changed to negate it's advantage. Saban understands how substantial the advantage the the HUNH / quick-snap gimmick gives to the offense. Alabama ran it a great deal this season as well because Saban wanted to play faster to gain that advantage. He was reluctant to use it, but knowing and seeing it's usefulness, he signed up for it. I think he hates the quick-snap gimmick, but he's not stupid either....

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
Well to be fair we don't have backs like Elliot or the offensive line like we did in 2012 to pull off a true power run offense. Before we start blaming kiffin or leaning that way why don't we ask the question " will Kirby and saban ever figure out how to stop the spread and teach our DBS how to defend the pass"
seriously? I wonder who taught the dbs from 2008-2012 to defend the pass...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Since the HUNH is not an offense, I don't believe that is what is killing QB play at the NFL level. I do believe that the spread / read-option offenses are what is really hurting QB play at the next level in the description you gave in your post. I don't believe utilizing a "quick-snap" gimmick has anything to do with what type of an offense a team may choose to run. A team could easily run a power run, or a pro style offense and still utilize the HUNH gimmick.
Yep. These offenses are so popular because they are very easy to install and allows a team to pick up on it real fast and hit the ground running. The spread offenses are not complex at all and this is what's causing the lack of developed qb's coming out of college entering into the NFL. As Trent Dilfer has said on many occasions. QB's coming from spread offenses aren't required to truly read a defense and go through progressions as they'll be required to do in the NFL.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
completely agree that the HUNH is not an offense, but it does dramatically change what the QB does. In just about every HUNH based team, whether they run the spread, zone read, pro-style, whatever, they run up to the LOS with a single play, then look over to the OC on the sideline to see if there is an audible and it's called from the sideline. Then the QB has a couple of minor reads to make in-play. This means the QB isn't reading the alignment of the defense understanding what the d is doing and making the change on his own. That's expected to be a basic skill of a QB in the pros that HUNH style teams don't prep their QBs to do.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I stand corrected, the spread option is what I should have said.

There is a yen and yang of the relationship between offense and defense. If you truly look most successful defenses have an offensive system that controls the ball long enough for the defense to recover from their last series. Even when we played the more smash mouth kind of game our defense was much more successful. Name one team who runs the spread who has a decent defense. In this case one has everything to do with the other.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

There is a yen and yang of the relationship between offense and defense. If you truly look most successful defenses have an offensive system that controls the ball long enough for the defense to recover from their last series. Even when we played the more smash mouth kind of game our defense was much more successful. Name one team who runs the spread who has a decent defense. In this case one has everything to do with the other.
OSU runs a spread.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
you can run the spread option without going fast. just use as much of the play clock as possible between plays, convert your third downs and keep their D on the field.

To the point of OSU running a spread - yep, but they also controlled the clock with their version of the spread and in the second half last night were not running any type of tempo at all.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.