Will the Oregon loss slow down the proliferation of HUNH offenses?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Oregon has had the premier HUNH offense for a number of years now and failed to win a national championship. This time they even had a Heisman QB and failed. Do you think this loss will slow down or maybe even reverse the HUNH trend in college football?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It depends on how the holding calls go for the power running team. Did OSU get a holding call?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

BamaBeast

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 10, 1999
Blacksburg, VA
Not sure how penalties called on the opposing offense effect what the HUNH offense runs. I think the bigger question is finesse vs power.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Not sure how penalties called on the opposing offense effect what the HUNH offense runs. I think the bigger question is finesse vs power.
Because it puts the defense back out there without much rest, or coaching if they get pushed back for holding. You pound the spread defense into submission with your running game early, controlling the clock, and then rush the pass when you get a lead.

BamaBeast

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 10, 1999
Blacksburg, VA
So you run the HUNH with the hope that the opposing offense
will hold/get called for holds or penalize themselves? It's not substitution time, defensive play calling time....it's more about hoping the other offense screws up?

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
IDK, but maybe it'll bring back power running with an effective passing game combined with great defense. OSU tonight looked a lot like Bama circa 2009-2012.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Its a good question. Ohio State proved that you still win Football games in the trenches. Oregon and their HUNH ran a grand total of 15 plays in the second half against Ohio State. Meanwhile, Ohio State whipped them in the trenches.

I think this will make a lot of OC's and HC's around the country start second guessing the HUNH. Its a gimmick offense and when it looks good, its a sight to behold. However, when you run up against a team with elite talent on defense, its a bad offense in fast forward.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
So you run the HUNH with the hope that the opposing offense
will hold/get called for holds or penalize themselves? It's not substitution time, defensive play calling time....it's more about hoping the other offense screws up?
You run the hurry up because they are making rules to benefit that style of offense.

Yes, as a team that runs the hurry up you want the other team's offense to be inept in any way possible so their defense is on the field more, getting more fatigued as the game progresses. If the opposite happens the team with the hurry up offense will only make their defense even more fatigued because they will be back on the field even quicker because of the tempo they run. In truth the hurry up gimmick relies on the defense not executing.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
OU was missing its top two WRs and its top db, and still kind of made a game of it.

More to the point, the appeal of the HUNH is that it allows teams that can't stock five star talent across the board to be competitive--you get one or two top players and use them to create mismatches. The Barn made it to two championship games with HUNH, as did Oregon--why should one game change things?

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Oregon has had the premier HUNH offense for a number of years now and failed to win a national championship. This time they even had a Heisman QB and failed. Do you think this loss will slow down or maybe even reverse the HUNH trend in college football?
No. Oregon and auburn will continue to run their offenses and occasionally land a big defensive recruit. I think if Oregon was ever going to change they would've done it by now. I mean they have gotten embarrassed by OSU in the 2010 rose bowl,auburn in 2011, and now presently OSU again.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..I hope our coaching staff gets our offense back to the form that's won us NC's with a power running game, that controlled the LOS & time clock, cause it complimented our style of D & we have steadily moved away from that style of football when Coach Mac took the Colorado St job & we brought in Coach Nuss..I hope we have a team meeting & our team vows to bring back the style of football that's made us the best college football team in the history of the game..

We're a run the ball down defenses throats 1st type football program, that opens of the play action pass, as it chews the clock up & keeps our D rested, as it keeps the others teams offense, on the sideline watching our offense kill the clock running the ball..We can go back to that style of football & win NC's doing it..The Buckeye's proved it this year & FSU proved it last year..The HUNH offenses is what other fans likes to watch, but, Bama needs to regroup & go back to its football roots that we've strayed from the last couple of seasons & get back to playing Bama Football..If we do that & not win a NC next year..It won't bother me like it has this year knowing we wasn't playing Bama Football we know & love as Bama Fans..I hope so anyways..

Last edited:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
But what are the chances that we go back to a power run game under Kiffin? Hes a very creative OC.....That has to be why Saban brought him in.......If Saban wanted to go back to the old way, ball control and cram it down your throat, you'd think he would have hired a different OC?

In short, I don't know if Kiffin has it in him to be a ground and pound OC.

I also wonder if we were just playing to our personnel strength this past season. We had Cooper and a solid pass catching bunch and a QB that was decent at slinging it. I heard many times throughout the season how the OL we had wasn't your typical smash you into the ground Bama OL. It was more of a finesse pass protect bunch?

SeattleBama

All-SEC
Aug 6, 2008
But what are the chances that we go back to a power run game under Kiffin? Hes a very creative OC.....That has to be why Saban brought him in.......If Saban wanted to go back to the old way, ball control and cram it down your throat, you'd think he would have hired a different OC?

I also wonder if we were just playing to our personnel strength this past season. We had Cooper and a solid pass catching bunch and a QB that was decent at slinging it. I heard many times throughout the season how the OL we had wasn't your typical smash you into the ground Bama OL. It was more of a finesse pass protect bunch?
Highly doubtful

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Well to be fair we don't have backs like Elliot or the offensive line like we did in 2012 to pull off a true power run offense. Before we start blaming kiffin or leaning that way why don't we ask the question " will Kirby and saban ever figure out how to stop the spread and teach our DBS how to defend the pass"

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
No, because without it Oregon would be 8-4/7-5 every year. As much as I hate the HUNH it gives lesser talented teams opportunities to compete and beat the big boys. It's not going away because to do so would mean teams like Oregon, Baylor and other teams that use it would dip back into their historical position of mediocrity.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.