The Playoff Committee can claim success

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I feel the committee messed it up. Didn't have the guts to leave out Florida State. Our beloved ESPN announcers didn't think OSU was worth a crap all year and now no one will ever beat them again.
The committee got it right. You cannot exclude the defending national champions who have played a Big Five conference schedule and are the nation's ONLY UNBEATEN TEAM. You CANNOT exclude them even if you think the other three will kill them.

If TCU would have beaten Baylor or Baylor would have beaten WVA, Ohio State wouldn't even be the champions.

But so what? Nobody should revel in "what if" but in "what is."

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I hate FSU, I despise them, but to hear people suggest that they didn't belong in the playoffs is just disgusting. They were undefeated, they did play as difficult a schedule as Oregon and more difficult than what Ohio State played.

It bothered me to see 2 play 4, it seemed like a regression to the pre-BCS days. Let's have 2 play 4 and vote 4 #1, stuff like that used to happen in the bowl era and now we're back to that. Yes, I will concede that the playoff did that it was supposed to, they rewarded the "best" team (at the end of the season), but they did that at the expense of rewarding the best regular season.

The notion that being undefeated might no longer mean anything? Sure why not, Ohio State was the best team for their last 3 games and that's all that really matters.

Last edited:

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
It functioned as intended. It crowned a postseason champion that no one can say wasn't the best during that postseason. It made a ton of money. But it won't likely slow down the agenda of many to get to an 8-team playoff or larger.

It is but one more step in the evolution of college football from crowning a season-long "body of work" national champion into crowning a postseason champion.

It isn't really right or wrong. It is what the people want. And we have the coaches, talent, and resources to do as well in this system as anyone else.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Does anyone else think that what turned out to be the actual championship game was played at the Sugar Bowl ?
Happens all the time. Most of them have occurred in the SECCG since 2008.

I honestly think Bama(1) vs. FSU(4) and Oregon(2) vs. tOSU(3) would have been a better seeding and eventual Championship matchup. I do wonder if tOSU would have had the confidence and guts to win the first round game against Oregon in the Rose Bowl. Their win over us in the Sugar Bowl certainly gave them the momentum they needed to dominate Oregon...at least psychologically.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Personally, I never figured out what was wrong with the idea of just basing a 4 (or 6, or 8) team playoff on the BCS method of selecting the team rankings. In the final analysis, didn't the mock BCS top 4 pretty much parallel the committee? I don`t care for the whole committee approach myself. Anyway....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It functioned as intended. It crowned a postseason champion that no one can say wasn't the best during that postseason. It made a ton of money.
I hate to break it to you but nobody can say Ohio State was NOT the best team of the entire year. When you knock off THREE RANKED FOES in a row - NONE AT HOME - you are the best, period. The fact TWO of those were the presumed two best teams in the game only proves it.

But it won't likely slow down the agenda of many to get to an 8-team playoff or larger.
Yeah but Urban Meyer is right about the major problem with that.

It is but one more step in the evolution of college football from crowning a season-long "body of work" national champion into crowning a postseason champion.
You're presuming a false dichotomy. I defy you to name a better team than Ohio State in 2014, whether regular season or post-season. You can't do it.

It isn't really right or wrong. It is what the people want. And we have the coaches, talent, and resources to do as well in this system as anyone else.
And we're also agreed here.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I just wish they had NOT picked Bama as the #1 seed. I would always rather be the underDOG! That role played a part in tOSU's winning it all.
They played with the right frame of mind! They came out to kick booty and take names later then those names like Mariota, Sims, and Cooper didn't
really matter.

They came to play in a grumpy, po'ed, a kicking mood. I like having that role. Our players came out with a smile and a friendly mood for the Sugar Bowl.
Did we shake hands or hug everybody at the coin toss? Three consecutive Sugar Bowl losses. It's time to change something next time. tOSU had a 12 gauge
leading them. Coach, you need to feed our players gunpowder prior to the next one. Teach our players to knock them on their cans and send bench warners into
to the stands to slap their mommas!
I was hoping to draw FSU and not OSU. I felt OSU was the second best team in the 4 teams and would probably be the hungriest. Atleast Alabama wouldve matched up better against FSU and had their full attention on them.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Lol! Mack's never going to be able to let that go. Bless his heart.

I think this system is as close to perfect as it's going to get. I wouldn't mind losing the committee but all season long I thought they were doing a good job. I don't ever recall a more interesting season.
I disagree. I thought the final four were correct but leading up to that it seemed each week was to generate controversy between Baylor/TCU and Mississippi/Miss State. How does TCU drop out after winning big? Answer: They should not have been in the top four to begin with.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.