National champions by each school

crimsoncamaro

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 9, 2010
What do most sites, magazines, tv, etc etc...go by...seems that the 1936 to present using the ap and upi are the most common to me...what's ya think?

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
Wow. 5 teams have combined to win 38 of the last 78 national championships. That is 48.7%. Almost half have been won by only 5 teams. That's amazing.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I guess they are not counting the highly disputed '41 title the University claims.

Their 10 would be 2012, 2011, 2009, 1992, 1979, 1978, 1973, 1965, 1964, and 1961.
The one that sort of burns me up is that ESPN now considers Bryant to have only won five titles. They are no longer counting the 1973 UPI title because Alabama lost the bowl game.

My position has always been that you go with polls of record for any given year and you use the methodology recognized at the time. Meaning, if titles were awarded before bowl games AT THAT TIME, you recognize the system that was in place. They don't throw out old baseball records because the mound hadn't been raised.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The one that sort of burns me up is that ESPN now considers Bryant to have only won five titles. They are no longer counting the 1973 UPI title because Alabama lost the bowl game.

My position has always been that you go with polls of record for any given year and you use the methodology recognized at the time. Meaning, if titles were awarded before bowl games AT THAT TIME, you recognize the system that was in place. They don't throw out old baseball records because the mound hadn't been raised.
I agree - I have always wondered why ESPN keeps saying that Coach Bryant has 5 championships when the entire college football world knows that he has 6. Still, you have to believe in your heart of hearts that ND deserved that championship, right? I spare no love for ND, but they beat Alabama on the field in the bowl game.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I agree - I have always wondered why ESPN keeps saying that Coach Bryant has 5 championships when the entire college football world knows that he has 6. Still, you have to believe in your heart of hearts that ND deserved that championship, right? I spare no love for ND, but they beat Alabama on the field in the bowl game.
Maybe, but that was the way Championships were decided then. Bowl games were added for fun and entertainment. After they decided to award NC's after the Bowl games, Coach Bryant took it seriously. And I still feel Bama was ripped off after the '77 season, ranked number 3 before the Bowl games, beat OSU and Coach Hayes 30- 6, only to see ND jump from Number 5 to Number 1 after the pre-Bowl Numbers 1 and 2 lost.

Roll Tide!
BTW, congratulations on your NC. I hope we get the chance next year to perhaps return the favor.:cheers2: on TideFans.com

mhiggy45

3rd Team
Sep 2, 2010
daytona bch
:mad2:
Maybe, but that was the way Championships were decided then. Bowl games were added for fun and entertainment. After they decided to award NC's after the Bowl games, Coach Bryant took it seriously. And I still feel Bama was ripped off after the '77 season, ranked number 3 before the Bowl games, beat OSU and Coach Hayes 30- 6, only to see ND jump from Number 5 to Number 1 after the pre-Bowl Numbers 1 and 2 lost.

Roll Tide!
BTW, congratulations on your NC. I hope we get the chance next year to perhaps return the favor.:cheers2: on TideFans.com
I agree with 1977. Also the 1966 year was a travesty as well. We were so dominant that year. That's 2 natty's that ND has that should belong to us.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Roll Tide!
Thanks
As for the 1973 championship - the final polls were released after the bowl games were played that year. The change happened in 1968.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.