Jesses article brings up some good points Offensive changes and Defensive changes

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
I posted will our offense evolve and how. But I should have included our D and what changes need to be made their,Jess makes some very interesting comments.Also in my mind when you do change the types of players you recruit,how do you find players for the arks games vs the Oregonians thru schemes? Too be able compete with different types of offenses.I'm interested in what Coach Saban does on both sides of the Ball.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Saban wanted his offense to be more explosive. That was accomplished with LK as OC, but the play calling on offense was at times erratic and did not always play to our strengths or the defense's weakness. We lost consistency and physicality. If we can retain the explosiveness and regain what we lost then we will be close enough to unstoppable.

On defense it really is a matter of being a step or two faster and not blowing assignments in coverage. We also have to get our head turned and hands up. It seemed the defense was slowed at times by having to think through instead of reacting instinctively.

That said, we were 7 points from playing for it all. We don't need a major overhaul as much as minor improvements. We need evolution and not revolution.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Even in the two losses this season we fought back and had a chance a winning at the end. In both games we made so many mistakes that it seems very improbable that we would have a chance to win but we did. The team this year was extremely scrappy and I'm proud of our boys. Next year let's get back to pounding the ball and being physical.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I would like to think that CNS and CLK are of such a mind that they will honestly assess our strengths and weaknesses ( good ol` SWOT analysis ) and craft an offensive approach accordingly, naturally with tweaks per opponent rather than lock into any one philosophy. The OSU game was so frustrating because I know I wasn`t the only one screaming, "Give the damn ball to Henry until they stop it !! "

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I would like to think that CNS and CLK are of such a mind that they will honestly assess our strengths and weaknesses ( good ol` SWOT analysis ) and craft an offensive approach accordingly, naturally with tweaks per opponent rather than lock into any one philosophy. The OSU game was so frustrating because I know I wasn`t the only one screaming, "Give the damn ball to Henry until they stop it !! "
I agree wholeheartedly ... Saban has shown that he is focused on making the changes necessary to compete and having a program that competes for titles year after year. Him hiring Kiffin was a good show of that as well as his change in recruiting specific position players in the last two classes. I am confident that we are set up to compete for years to come and believe that we will win another championship within the next 3 years. Which is a lot more than I can say for a majority of the major programs out there.

We have to keep in mind the big picture, Saban is building AND maintaing a program that will compete for championships. Thats the only way we can win championships. Many programs are still trying to catch up to the same process. We are not going to win every year BUT we will be in prime position to compete for championships year in and year out.

We could possibly be in the mix again during a reloading year and with a tougher schedule (which says a lot for what Saban has done with the program in general) but I'm thinking our best bet for another championship will be 2016 team. I think the defense will be better next year but we're going to go through some possible growing pains on offense until we establish who will be the next playmaker at WR. We have a lot of good candidates ... but wont know til we play the season to be honest.

All that being said ... we officially have a program that is suited to compete for championships. This is part of the ride.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I would like to think that CNS and CLK are of such a mind that they will honestly assess our strengths and weaknesses ( good ol` SWOT analysis ) and craft an offensive approach accordingly, naturally with tweaks per opponent rather than lock into any one philosophy. The OSU game was so frustrating because I know I wasn`t the only one screaming, "Give the [dadgum] ball to Henry until they stop it !! "
I know I was. That was my real critique of this offense. It sure put some points on the board, but I have always found the finesse, pass-happy offense to lack toughness. When you see Big 12 teams lining up in the shotgun on 3rd and 1, it speaks volumes on their toughness and physicality.
We are blessed with huge back like Henry, and some fast and tough ones like Drake and Jones. On 3rd and 3, hand to ball to one of them and smash the dang ball down their throats until you make their backsides quit. That, in my view is how you finish. If, in the 4th quarter, on 3rd and short, you are lining up in the shotgun with an empty backfield, you are not mastering your destiny, you're hoping. And I question your manhood.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think the coaching staff would do well to watch some film (which I'm sure they will) and hopefully recognize how many times we got away from things that were working. Last night in the championship game. OSU recognized Oregon couldn't stop the their running game. So what did they do? They pounded it down their throats over 35 times until they finally broke their will and brought home the trophy.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I think the coaching staff would do well to watch some film (which I'm sure they will) and hopefully recognize how many times we got away from things that were working. Last night in the championship game. OSU recognized Oregon couldn't stop the their running game. So what did they do? They pounded it down their throats over 35 times until they finally broke their will and brought home the trophy.
Wonder if B1G is right? He thinks if we run Henry until OSU stops it, we play UO for the prize.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
OSU won the title by having 3 Heisman-worthy QBs on the roster. I am not sure anyone in the country could have overcome their top two QBs going down in the regular season just to have their third stringer come in and mop the floor with Wisconsin, Alabama and Oregon in succession.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
We have lots of open wounds in here and I got that I hurt too,But how many people thought Blake was going to be our answer?why was Kiffin on the side lines?why did Kiffin say mention the first 3 games?How many games did Blake have under his belt?What was the reason for force feeding Coop the ball? I think Blake did admirable for the time had to get ready.These questions say something, I have my thoughts of why.I look for our offense to be more explosive next year,provided we get more production out of our running game.Drake was part of the plan to help Blake out,we know what happened there.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
Saban wanted his offense to be more explosive. That was accomplished with LK as OC, but the play calling on offense was at times erratic and did not always play to our strengths or the defense's weakness. We lost consistency and physicality. If we can retain the explosiveness and regain what we lost then we will be close enough to unstoppable.

On defense it really is a matter of being a step or two faster and not blowing assignments in coverage. We also have to get our head turned and hands up. It seemed the defense was slowed at times by having to think through instead of reacting instinctively.

That said, we were 7 points from playing for it all. We don't need a major overhaul as much as minor improvements. We need evolution and not revolution.
I agree and this is a spot on assessment. We seem to have lost the instinctive D play and the normal BAMA fundamentals from the DBs. Going 12-2 and being able to 'complain' is pretty good if you ask me.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
We have lots of open wounds in here and I got that I hurt too,But how many people thought Blake was going to be our answer?why was Kiffin on the side lines?why did Kiffin say mention the first 3 games?How many games did Blake have under his belt?What was the reason for force feeding Coop the ball? I think Blake did admirable for the time had to get ready.These questions say something, I have my thoughts of why.I look for our offense to be more explosive next year,provided we get more production out of our running game.Drake was part of the plan to help Blake out,we know what happened there.
Sure, we probably got a way from what was working in the Sugar Bowl. But I dont know how we get a more explosive offense than what we had this season given it was the most productive offense we have ever had. We are not going to be as explosive next season, bank on it. While I think Coker can be very good, he doesnt have the running ability that Sims or a Cardale Jones does. Having this ability makes up for deficiencies in other areas and certainly gives you advantage in being more effective earlier in tenure. Historically, for us, 35ppg has been more than enough to win virtually all of our games. The Ole Miss game and the 2011 LSU game are the only games that come to mind where we were completely stymied offensively. In the games we have lost for the most part, we have had some breakdowns on offense but largely those were overshadowed by bigger breakdowns on defense.

While I dont think we need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, we need some defensive re-tooling to some degree. Interestingly, our defensive success historically has been to be tough in the red zone and pressure offensive execution by forcing long drives. Ironically, other teams have correctly decided that deeper throws are a way to circumvent our defense - and boy have they hit pay dirt on that one.

But after last night, I am even more convinced that our philosophy that we have employed with Saban provides the most consistent probability of winning and playing for championships. In fact, I am willing to bet that Oregon is at home right re-evaluating their program more than we are. What they saw last night, as long as, Alabama and OSU and whoever else commits to our style of play, their chances of winning a championship are remote. In light of the injuries that we had going into and sustained during the Sugar Bowl and rumors of several guys with the flu during the game, I am even more impressed at how well played against OSU.

Last edited:

califbamafan

1st Team
Nov 7, 2005
Rialto, Calif
I know C S does not like to play freshmen at QB but I think he ought to give that new kid a long look. If we could have an established starter for 3 or 4 years we would be awful tough

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I know C S does not like to play freshmen at QB but I think he ought to give that new kid a long look. If we could have an established starter for 3 or 4 years we would be awful tough
One thing I have found about Coach Saban is that the player that gives the team the best chance to win will play. If that is a freshman, then that's who plays.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
I know I was. That was my real critique of this offense. It sure put some points on the board, but I have always found the finesse, pass-happy offense to lack toughness. When you see Big 12 teams lining up in the shotgun on 3rd and 1, it speaks volumes on their toughness and physicality.
We are blessed with huge back like Henry, and some fast and tough ones like Drake and Jones. On 3rd and 3, hand to ball to one of them and smash the dang ball down their throats until you make their backsides quit. That, in my view is how you finish. If, in the 4th quarter, on 3rd and short, you are lining up in the shotgun with an empty backfield, you are not mastering your destiny, you're hoping. And I question your manhood.
This... times a million.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I've made this point before, but championship teams (winners and losers) have been more likely to have a new QB than an experienced one over the last 7 or so years. It's almost like it is in a team's best interest to have a new starting QB every year or two - and it doesn't necessarily need to be a Junior or Senior.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.