Question: Thoughts on the 2015 Offensive Line

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This season felt like a patchwork job between plugging in new guys and injuries. 2015 seems like another one of those seasons on paper with two solid multi-year starters departing at LG and RT. Still, I think there is some optimism because many of the replacement at the three openings are not inexperienced due to injuries this season.

My best guess for the starting 5:

LT - Cam Robinson
LG - Bradley Bozeman
C - Ryan Kelly
RG - Alphonse Taylor
RT - Grant Hill

I haven't looked much at the recruiting to see if there is a guy like Cam in the group coming in...still, we seem to go for experience at the interior spots more than left tackle surprisingly. Grant Hill has been close to getting playing time but a stable option was always above him at RT. Overall, with the experience gained from spot starts and a full offseason for these guys to get into lock step with one another...I feel pretty positive about this unit. Considering the offensive mix at the skill positions leans towards more rush offense, we will need it.

What's everyone elses opinion?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
They are better at run blocking than pass blocking. We will have a less mobile QB. We have Henry Drake Jones. Run the ball.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Jackson will be starting. Grant Hill Probably will be a RG. Casher is probably going to get a look at LG
This season felt like a patchwork job between plugging in new guys and injuries. 2015 seems like another one of those seasons on paper with two solid multi-year starters departing at LG and RT. Still, I think there is some optimism because many of the replacement at the three openings are not inexperienced due to injuries this season.

My best guess for the starting 5:

LT - Cam Robinson
LG - Bradley Bozeman
C - Ryan Kelly
RG - Alphonse Taylor
RT - Grant Hill

I haven't looked much at the recruiting to see if there is a guy like Cam in the group coming in...still, we seem to go for experience at the interior spots more than left tackle surprisingly. Grant Hill has been close to getting playing time but a stable option was always above him at RT. Overall, with the experience gained from spot starts and a full offseason for these guys to get into lock step with one another...I feel pretty positive about this unit. Considering the offensive mix at the skill positions leans towards more rush offense, we will need it.

What's everyone elses opinion?

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Based on what we saw this year, which is obviously not that much from some these guys, I think we may see this lineup unless we snag another stud at OT in this year's class:

LT - Cam Robinson, Ross Pierschbacher/Grant Hill (As always, its hard to predict who will play in case of an injury to C Rob. Hill (if he starts) may slide over from the RT tackle spot.)

LG - Dom Jackson, Isaac Luatua/Dallas Warmack (I'm ranking Warmack as possible #2 based on potential and the fact that he is an EE. Plus he comes from a good bloodline! ;))

C - Ryan Kelly, JC Hausenauer/Joshua Casher (I am unsure of who is ahead of who right now when talking about Hausenauer and Casher. Bozeman could stay the #2 as well.)

RG - Bradley Bozeman, Alphonse Taylor (Taylor may very well have the spot on experience alone, but after a rough start, Bozeman looked pretty good in TAMU game. He's a big physical guy that seems too good to keep off the field.)

RT - Grant Hill, Ross Pierschbacher (Hill looked pretty good in relief of Shep when he was needed, and unless Pierschbacher really comes on, it's hard to see Hill not being the favorite.)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not sure it's a talent issue - I'm not sold on Cristobal being the right guy as our OL coach. To be fair, his first year followed what might be the best OL in CFB history- any OL would take step back losing three amazing starters. But the OLD just doesn't seem to have the MTAQ attitude since Penury and Stoutland moved on. Maybe this year things will be different, but I miss the 'mash em' offensive lines we've had under CNS in the past - the ones where you KNEW we'd be gashing them in the 4th quarter because the defense was tired of being mauled...

Last edited:

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I'm not sure it's a tenant issue - I'm not sold on Cristobal being the right guy as our OL coach. To be fair, his first year followed what might be the best OL in CFB history- any OL would take step back losing three amazing starters. But the OLD just doesn't seem to have the MTAQ attitude since Penury and Stoutland moved on. Maybe this year things will be different, but I miss the 'mash em' offensive lines we've had under CNS in the past - the ones where you KNEW we'd be gashing them in the 4th quarter because the defense was tired of being mauled...
This....

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure it's a tenant issue - I'm not sold on Cristobal being the right guy as our OL coach. To be fair, his first year followed what might be the best OL in CFB history- any OL would take step back losing three amazing starters. But the OLD just doesn't seem to have the MTAQ attitude since Penury and Stoutland moved on. Maybe this year things will be different, but I miss the 'mash em' offensive lines we've had under CNS in the past - the ones where you KNEW we'd be gashing them in the 4th quarter because the defense was tired of being mauled...
I've gone back and forth on this. At one time, I totally thought the same thing. OTOH, considering our best OL was Cam Robinson this year combined with the unbelievable improvement of Arie Kouandjio this makes me hesitate a little. I'll say this, he'll have 4 of his guys in there this upcoming year, and talent definitely won't be an issue. There really won't any excuse not to an outstanding OL by midseason next year.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've gone back and forth on this. At one time, I totally thought the same thing. OTOH, considering our best OL was Cam Robinson this year combined with the unbelievable improvement of Arie Kouandjio this makes me hesitate a little. I'll say this, he'll have 4 of his guys in there this upcoming year, and talent definitely won't be an issue. There really won't any excuse not to an outstanding OL by midseason next year.
Yah, I've hesitated in posting anything remotely negative about Cristobal based on what he walked into, but no matter what, we're missing the MTAQ attitude - that's inescapable. If that's not there this year, he needs to get a raise somewhere else, imo...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It's improtant that our OL mashes and mauls next season because it is likely our best offensive identify given the QB and receivers being green.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
JMO, but your o-lin was too "nice" this year. I think that they were a talented group, but they didn't play "angry". Your 2012 group looked like they wanted to kill and eat your opponents. They looked meaner than your defensive unit.

You need talent to play in the SEC, but you also need attitude when you go up against defensive linemen as d-linemen are taught to play "angry".

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
IMHO if you set out to run the ball as the center piece of your offensive approach, an MTAQ attitude simply has to be there by default. Wouldn't`t mind seeing it myself (OSU says hi ).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
For all of his great coaching ability, I have to look at the talent on the OL brought by Stoutland.

Anyone questioning Cam's job? Nope.
Anyone questioning Leon Brown? Yep.

Players recruited by Cristobal are passing guys recruited by Stoutland on the depth chart. Just look at who folks think will start next year. The only true Stoutland guy listed is Grant Hill, and he got to campus when Cristobal did. Kelly signed in 2011, two months after Pendry's last season on the field.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
For all of his great coaching ability, I have to look at the talent on the OL brought by Stoutland.

Anyone questioning Cam's job? Nope.
Anyone questioning Leon Brown? Yep.

Players recruited by Cristobal are passing guys recruited by Stoutland on the depth chart. Just look at who folks think will start next year. The only true Stoutland guy listed is Grant Hill, and he got to campus when Cristobal did. Kelly signed in 2011, two months after Pendry's last season on the field.

I'm sure they are. They're recruited and taught to run his scheme compared to the guys Stoutland recruited. The Stoutland recruits (that are still here) had to learn a new scheme from what they were originally taught and those that were recruited by Stoutland were recruited for HIS blocking scheme. It was said the moment Cristobal was hired that he ran a different blocking scheme. If we don't see a more punishing OL this season I think it's time for a change. The type guys we can get here we have absolutely ZERO excuse for not putting mauling offensive lines on the field the majority of the time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.