BOL: Lance Thompson Leaving to go to Auburn

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Hurts from a recruiting standpoint, but Saban always seems to be able to find another good recruiter to step in. Much like players on the field, Saban can take a good recruiter and make him great.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm really excited to see what we do at OLB and ILB coach. Bill Clark and Coach O anyone?

Coach O is more of DL guy but I think he'd be great with the Jack LBs.
Coach O is joining Steele's staff in Baton Rouge. Tosh Lupoi is a possible OLB coach, though.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Kevin Steele I can understand completely. You get the chance to get an upgrade to run your own defense you have to take it. Lance Thompson I don't get unless as some have said he was encouraged. If LT left on his own accord I hope this was his last stop here.

MS TN NC Tidefan

3rd Team
Jan 2, 2003
Huntersville, NC, USA
The only thing really interesting about this to me is that both Thompson and Steele ran immediately to rivals. Almost a burn the bridge move for two coaches that Saban took back in when nobody else was offering them anything.

All of our signals will have to be changed in the off season!!

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
First to Tennessee now to the barn--yea, I'd say the bridges are completely burned now as far as LT and Alabama are concerned.

I do agree however that he was probably nudged out. At least he can continue to vest in the state retirement system by going to an in-state school.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
The only thing really interesting about this to me is that both Thompson and Steele ran immediately to rivals. Almost a burn the bridge move for two coaches that Saban took back in when nobody else was offering them anything.
They're all rivals, unless you expected them to retire or go to some far-flung program like Washington State, and neither of those things were ever happening. Again, that may be something of note to a fan, but otherwise it's nothing of any real import.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I'm really excited to see what we do at OLB and ILB coach. Bill Clark and Coach O anyone?

I think Clark would be an excellent hire somewhere. I'm not sure what his strength is as a coach (offense?, defense?) but I have heard for several years that he was the best high school coach in Alabama and what he did at USA, Jax St, and UAB were all very impressive. IMHO, he is the type of coach we need on our staff.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
First to Tennessee now to the barn--yea, I'd say the bridges are completely burned now as far as LT and Alabama are concerned.

I do agree however that he was probably nudged out. At least he can continue to vest in the state retirement system by going to an in-state school.
Good luck with that, he left Alabama right before they changed to a 20-year vestment from 10-years. So I'm sure he's on the new system that sucks and basically locks you down to the state for the majority of your working life.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think Clark would be an excellent hire somewhere. I'm not sure what his strength is as a coach (offense?, defense?) but I have heard for several years that he was the best high school coach in Alabama and what he did at USA, Jax St, and UAB were all very impressive. IMHO, he is the type of coach we need on our staff.
Clark is a defensive coach. Saban interviewed him when he came to Tuscaloosa.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I agree and he's been a DC or HC his whole career.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

I agree that Bill Clark would be an excellent addition, but hiring him would be like dumping nuclear waste on the current UAB fire.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
They're all rivals, unless you expected them to retire or go to some far-flung program like Washington State, and neither of those things were ever happening. Again, that may be something of note to a fan, but otherwise it's nothing of any real import.
You really can't blame Kevin Steele. Going from a position coach to running a defense is a no brainer. Many were upset with Jeremy Pruitt and down played his coaching acumen when he left. Turns out he knows a little bit about defense. I just hope KS does not have the kinda success at least against us that Jeremy Pruitt has had.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
You really can't blame Kevin Steele. Going from a position coach to running a defense is a no brainer. Many were upset with Jeremy Pruitt and down played his coaching acumen when he left. Turns out he knows a little bit about defense. I just hope KS does not have the kinda success at least against us that Jeremy Pruitt has had.
I think Steele's record as a DC speaks for itself......

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.