BOL: Lance Thompson Leaving to go to Auburn

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Getting the band back together is awesome when it all works. It rarely does, however.

Sunseri and Clark sound good to me, or promoting Lupoi.

My only concerns would be with Sunseri (anything lingering from when he left) or Lupoi (past baggage).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The only thing really interesting about this to me is that both Thompson and Steele ran immediately to rivals. Almost a burn the bridge move for two coaches that Saban took back in when nobody else was offering them anything.

All of our signals will have to be changed in the off season!!
I think your looking at it through Crimson Glasses...I do it too and it's hard not to, but these guys are coaches and it's just another job.

Coaches change hats like most of us change underwear.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I agree that Bill Clark would be an excellent addition, but hiring him would be like dumping nuclear waste on the current UAB fire.
I hope we hire Clark and double what he was making as Head Coach at UAB. I am sick of hearing all the crap about shutting that program down. UAB football has gotten more press over this than they did when they had a team.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think your looking at it through Crimson Glasses...I do it too and it's hard not to, but these guys are coaches and it's just another job.

Coaches change hats like most of us change underwear.
Agreed. In today's football it rarely is personal. It's a business. It's no different than me going from one accounting firm to another one down the street. I have no personal ties or personal loyalty to either one. The main goal and objective is to keep a paycheck coming to feed and take care of my family.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
... but these guys are coaches and it's just another job.
Bingo. It's just a job and, at the end of the day, these guys are just trying to pay the bills and provide for themselves and their families in a business where there is always absolutely zero security beyond the upcoming season.

Top head coaches make enough now where they don't have to worry about that type of thing after a few good earning years, and top coordinators are reaching that level, but for most position coaches, even at top programs, that's just not a luxury they get.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Alabama finished with the #1 recruiting class the 3 years Thompson and Steele weren't on staff, I think I'll sleep ok.

Also, can anyone name me a single OLB Thompson developed into an NFL player? Sure a few have ended up on practice squads, and a few even have 1 or 2 career tackles, but have any ended up as a legitimate NFL player?

So recruiting still finished #1 without him, LB's are bad with him, why is anyone fretting?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Agreed. In today's football it rarely is personal. It's a business. It's no different than me going from one accounting firm to another one down the street. I have no personal ties or personal loyalty to either one. The main goal and objective is to keep a paycheck coming to feed and take care of my family.
I agree completely and it works the other way too.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If LT was "encouraged" to look elsewhere, any specualation on what this means as far as CNS's vision for schematically improving the defense?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I haven't liked the development at OLB with LT coaching the position. Coach Sal may have rubbed Saban the wrong way but he got results out of the talent.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From AlabamaIntel:

Inside info on Thompson leaving:

Not that he has taken the AU job a couple of things:

LT was told to find another job after the IB.

If he didnt find one, CNS was going to fire him for “cause”.

Some bad blood between the two over this situation and it will be fun to watch LT come after his recruits in the next few weeks.

Its part of the business and these things happen a lot. He was a great recruiter for UA, but CNS will improve the on the field coaching with his replacement.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
The fact that he immediately jumped in bed with Muschamp and Auburn ought to tell you there is no love lost between Muschamp and Saban...

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
The fact that he immediately jumped in bed with Muschamp and Auburn ought to tell you there is no love lost between Muschamp and Saban...
i think that has more to do with a previous relationship more than anything else.....

re: cause

It really does not matter because I think with both LB coaches going, we are going to focus more on on the field coaching versus a recruiter. We can pull up threads back to 2007 about CLT being a little lacking in on the field coaching but is a great recruiter.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.