BOL: Lance Thompson Leaving to go to Auburn

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The fact that he immediately jumped in bed with Muschamp and Auburn ought to tell you there is no love lost between Muschamp and Saban...
Possibly, but Muschamp better worry more about how he's going to keep a good defense while Gussy is running her up tempo offense. That seems to be the Achilles of these HUNH is the defenses are traditionally bad.

Hooks4bama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2005
Montgomery
First team meeting, O is gonna put Mike the Tiger in a headlock and ask the team "Who wants some??!" Meanwhile Les will be chewing a piece of grass and explaining the bail system to the new recruits.
Also explaining how to properly play prevent defense up 3 midway through the 4th quarter.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
i think that has more to do with a previous relationship more than anything else.....

re: cause

It really does not matter because I think with both LB coaches going, we are going to focus more on on the field coaching versus a recruiter. We can pull up threads back to 2007 about CLT being a little lacking in on the field coaching but is a great recruiter.
This is CLT's 3rd stint at Bama. I believe he was here with Dubose maybe? Anyway I remember the same things being said about him then - great recruiter, so-so coach.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Saban asked these guys to find other jobs, one would think that he has folks in mind for those jobs, right? Think we will see announcements soon?

MS TN NC Tidefan

3rd Team
Jan 2, 2003
Huntersville, NC, USA
I'm not sure I buy the "it's just business" or "they're all rivals" arguments. It smells of a little more than that. These are two coaches that Saban brought back and gave second chances. There are rumblings of a parting of ways, and then they end up at two of Bama's biggest rivals. It may be great opportunities for both coaches, but I think there was extra incentive on their part and the hiring colleges. I bet they all feel like they stuck it to Saban a little bit... or will in the future.

Both LSU and Auburn will learn more about Bama's defense; not that there is anything super secret there. We will have to change all of our signals.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm not sure I buy the "it's just business" or "they're all rivals" arguments. It smells of a little more than that. These are two coaches that Saban brought back and gave second chances. There are rumblings of a parting of ways, and then they end up at two of Bama's biggest rivals. It may be great opportunities for both coaches, but I think there was extra incentive on their part and the hiring colleges. I bet they all feel like they stuck it to Saban a little bit... or will in the future.

Both LSU and Auburn will learn more about Bama's defense; not that there is anything super secret there. We will have to change all of our signals.
Staying in the area makes sense given their recruiting backgrounds. They would be more valuable to teams in the same area. It probably has nothing to do with "sticking it to" Saban. In fact, since Saban gave each 2 chances, they are probably pretty grateful to the man.

As for changing the calls next year - don't teams change up their calls each season?

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
If I remember correctly, the last time Steele was a DC WV hung 70 points on his defense.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

No doubt it maybe part of the decision. But you can't discount an element of the decision is based on having a job, not having to move their families across the country and overall security for their families.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

They may have felt like they stuck it to Saban but they're fooling themselves. From my vantage point, nobody really "sticks it to" CNS. He's almost always 2 steps ahead....

always4bama

1st Team
Dec 14, 2006
Decatur, Alabama, United States
I agree with others here, the button on the big desk was pushed and they were shown the door. I think these two coaches are fair to good coaches. What I believe they lack is ability to motivate and develop players. By Coach Saban giving them chances it shows his ultimate care for both the young player and the coaches who need help and credibility added to their resumes, doesn't mean he will hold the hand forever. Bama is such a great program top talent program, there are top coaches seek us out. RTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.