BOL: Lance Thompson Leaving to go to Auburn

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I literally harped on the Lance Thompson hire on two different occasions. Wasn't super excited for Steele to move back onto the field this year after seeing the improvement without him.
Thoroughly agree. I think CNS will go for competency next, instead of recruiting.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Both help bring some mighty good players to the capstone. We'll miss them in that department.
They're both obviously pretty good coaches or LSU and Auburn wouldn't be making efforts to hire them.
Fortunately, we have a head coach who will find more than adequate replacements.
The only Coach Saban hire I never understood was Major Applewhite.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Both help bring some mighty good players to the capstone. We'll miss them in that department.
They're both obviously pretty good coaches or LSU and Auburn wouldn't be making efforts to hire them.
Fortunately, we have a head coach who will find more than adequate replacements.
I think he wouldve been a good qb coach, but it was really weird that he was hired for the OC postion.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've followed Thompson from when he was here under Dubose. I would say that he finally attained the plateau of "adequate." I honestly believe that CNS hired him and hired him back almost totally on recruiting prowess...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I've followed Thompson from when he was here under Dubose. I would say that he finally attained the plateau of "adequate." I honestly believe that CNS hired him and hired him back almost totally on recruiting prowess...
IMO, from what I heard locally, Julio would have been a sooner if not for LT's last minute, uh, "push". And it was at least last day, if not last minute. The guy could sell anything to anybody; but sooner or later the talk becomes meaningless and you have to produce, and LT never did any more than what you defines as "adequate".

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
IMO, from what I heard locally, Julio would have been a sooner if not for LT's last minute, uh, "push". And it was at least last day, if not last minute. The guy could sell anything to anybody; but sooner or later the talk becomes meaningless and you have to produce, and LT never did any more than what you defines as "adequate".
Yeah, "used car salesman" is a term which comes up over and over with him. Also, he was part and parcel of the corruption which characterized the Dubose regime. I breathed a sigh of relief when they all left. This includes all of them, including some who've had some modicum of success since. I was always thankful that not all they did came to light. I shuddered when CNS hired him and when he hired him back. Between him and Steele, however, they account for a lot of our top recruits between them. I'm sure that's what Gus hired him for...

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Yeah, "used car salesman" is a term which comes up over and over with him. Also, he was part and parcel of the corruption which characterized the Dubose regime. I breathed a sigh of relief when they all left. This includes all of them, including some who've had some modicum of success since. I was always thankful that not all they did came to light. I shuddered when CNS hired him and when he hired him back. Between him and Steele, however, they account for a lot of our top recruits between them. I'm sure that's what Gus hired him for...
Me too.. I was pretty vocal about my dislike for it on the board, and can't say I hate that
he's moved on.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Well, we've lost two of our worst coaches in my opinion in the last 24 hours.

Lost two of our best recruiters at the same time though.

It's funny how most everyone who coaches under Nick Saban is perceived to be a great recruiter. It all starts and ends with Coach Saban. Next season the replacements will be perceived to be great recruiters.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
[/FONT]It's funny how most everyone who coaches under Nick Saban is perceived to be a great recruiter. It all starts and ends with Coach Saban. Next season the replacements will be perceived to be great recruiters.
Its funny that everything I have read, says Thompson was hired to Muschamp's defensive staff, not Malzapahn's staff. Does Allbarn have an offensive Head Coach and a defensive Head Coach? I guess Chump has the green light to hire and do whatever he likes as DC. That much leaway...leads to a disaster at some point. I also said those 2 (Fussy and Chump)would clash at some point in the near future.

I am willing to bet, when the Bama replacements are announced ( I think one is already on the road recruiting and working) you will not see, So and so hired on Kirby Smart's defensive staff anywhere in the headlines. Maybe, working with him but not hired to his staff.

To me that says a lot.

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
Who was the coach who was (almost) literally thrown out of either UT or Auburn a few years back? There were some videos on here of him hastily packing the trunk of his car. I keep thinking that was Thompson, but it could have been someone else. Anybody know who I'm talking about?

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Who was the coach who was (almost) literally thrown out of either UT or Auburn a few years back? There were some videos on here of him hastily packing the trunk of his car. I keep thinking that was Thompson, but it could have been someone else. Anybody know who I'm talking about?
Seems like that would be Tony Franklin, OC at the barn.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I hate to go so low as to call Thompson a traitor. But it certainly leaves a bad taste in my mouth for ANY Alabama coach to jump to the Barn. As good as Bill Oliver was as our defensive coordinator, I never really got over him jumping ship for the West Georgia whiners back in the mid 90's. Good riddance to CLT.
Brother played at Bama, of course, but then he coached at the barn before coming to Bama in the '70s. Then he later came back to Bama before going to the barn again. What bothered me wasn't that he went to the barn in '96, but the circumstances under which that move happened.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He wasn't sole OC; he was co-OC with Pendry. In fact, what sealed his fate was coming into CNS and demanding to be named sole OC. Not a good move...
It is still kinda weird that he got the co title after really two years of real coaching. Mac and Lane actually held numerous jobs or worked in a program before the big time.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Earle, correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought what sealed Julio was when Saban sat in his house with his mother, looked him straight in the eye and said "We're going to win a national championship, with or without you." I've even heard Julio refer to this account and mention what an impact that had on his decision.

To be honest, I'm just trying to find a way not to give LT FULL credit for landing Julio. LOL!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It is still kinda weird that he got the co title after really two years of real coaching. Mac and Lane actually held numerous jobs or worked in a program before the big time.
It really looked almost like a desperation hire. I could speculate, but I don't see any point in it...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought what sealed Julio was when Saban sat in his house with his mother, looked him straight in the eye and said "We're going to win a national championship, with or without you." I've even heard Julio refer to this account and mention what an impact that had on his decision.

To be honest, I'm just trying to find a way not to give LT FULL credit for landing Julio. LOL!
Saban has always been the "closer." I've heard the anecdote and I believe it...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban was asked about Thompson leaving today at Senior Bowl practice...

Asked abt how he felt about Lance Thompson going to Auburn, Saban said: Lance has been with us several time & he's done same thing each time

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.