BOL: Lance Thompson Leaving to go to Auburn

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I didn't necessarily read that brief interview as CNS saying that LT left of his own accord - he's not going to publicly throw him under the bus - that's not his style.

That said, if LT wasn't asked to leave, I'm even more worried, because that means that CNS was satisfied with him and Steele as coaches...

*shudder*

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I didn't necessarily read that brief interview as CNS saying that LT left of his own accord - he's not going to publicly throw him under the bus - that's not his style.

That said, if LT wasn't asked to leave, I'm even more worried, because that means that CNS was satisfied with him and Steele as coaches...

*shudder*
I dunno...Saban's comments sounded a lot like "damning with faint praise."

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well I gotta say Ive never been a fan of Lance Thompson since 09 with his speech of how Alabama wouldnt steal Tennessee recruits out of Tennessee on his watch.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Sounds like we'll never hear the real story behind this situation. I do find it interesting that he left for Tennessee and now Auburn.... I would imagine that Saban would want to put it in the future contracts that stay they cannot go to another sec school unless it's for promotion and etc.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
What happened to the reports out of Tuscaloosa last week that said Saban told him to find another job? If that's true, LT didn't leave on his own. He may have planned his exit like you say, but he can't leave on his own if Saban told him to take a hike or get fired.
I saw that and didn't pay any attention, because Saban wouldn't ask him to leave in the most critical phase of recruiting. However, he may have told LT that he didn't have a job at the end of the season, which could have meant recruiting, spring practice or the academic year and LT decided to maximize his "assets."

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Well I gotta say Ive never been a fan of Lance Thompson since 09 with his speech of how Alabama wouldnt steal Tennessee recruits out of Tennessee on his watch.
And how'd that work out? :biggrin:

LT has been a successful recruiter due to who he's worked for and where he's worked. Time will tell if he will have the same success at the barn...

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

*shudder*
I'm curious as to why that would be so shocking. Xzavier Dickson progressed this year, as did Ryan Anderson and Denzall Devall (when he was healthy). Tim Williams and Rashaan Evans played well on third downs when we needed a pass rush at times. Overall I thought our OLB's played much better this year than last year. As far as ILB, Ragland was playing at a very high level after he got some experience this year.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Hey, It could've been Tosh's doing... who knows? He could've helped Thompson out with those guys.. IJS.
I'm curious as to why that would be so shocking. Xzavier Dickson progressed this year, as did Ryan Anderson and Denzall Devall (when he was healthy). Tim Williams and Rashaan Evans played well on third downs when we needed a pass rush at times. Overall I thought our OLB's played much better this year than last year. As far as ILB, Ragland was playing at a very high level after he got some experience this year.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And how'd that work out? :biggrin:

LT has been a successful recruiter due to who he's worked for and where he's worked. Time will tell if he will have the same success at the barn...
He's never, ever, had the same success when not working for Saban, contrasted to when he was. This will prove no different. He can't function without a "closer."

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
So why has Lance Thompson been such a hired gun willing to take endless lateral moves? The real question seems to be why hasn't he progressed his career beyond a position coach?

Like, I get how guys can get pegged at OL and DL coach...especially OL coach because it is so critical to success and it takes a good tutelage to be a teacher at those positions.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Why he won't venture outside the SEC....Take a chance... Go to NFL...
So why has Lance Thompson been such a hired gun willing to take endless lateral moves? The real question seems to be why hasn't he progressed his career beyond a position coach?

Like, I get how guys can get pegged at OL and DL coach...especially OL coach because it is so critical to success and it takes a good tutelage to be a teacher at those positions.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Lance is average and apparently a shady person. Coach Saban is loyal to his ex assistants and coaching friends. He seems to hire people back when they need a job....I think he has hired Lance 3 times. LSU and 2 times at Bama. Seems Lance has some agenda each time he has left Bama....Goes to rival Tennessee and now to Allbarn. Dickson, Devall, and the rest of the OLB have been ok, but really not up to their potential in my eyes. Lance can go suck on Malzapahn and give him Bama's signals or whatever they want him for....

I just hope this was the LAST time lance Thompson was hired to work at Bama.....I dont have any pull but I would have to find someone to call if they try to hire him back to Bama...

He was a back stabbing trouble maker during the Dumbose years (like most of the staff), and always seems to have some kind of personal issues and personal agendas. But I guess when one of your mentors is George O'Leary, trust is not one of those good qualities he has gained from being mentored......

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He's never, ever, had the same success when not working for Saban, contrasted to when he was. This will prove no different. He can't function without a "closer."
That's my point, which make me worry if Saban didn't 'invite' him to leave. He's not a good coach, he's a great recruiter under CNS, but not a good coach...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's my point, which make me worry if Saban didn't 'invite' him to leave. He's not a good coach, he's a great recruiter under CNS, but not a good coach...
Aaron Suttles of the Tuscaloosa News reported only an hour or two after Auburn announced the hire he confirmed from multiple sources Saban told him to leave.

Like you said last night, Saban isn't going to publicly say "My thoughts on Lance Thompson going to Auburn? I told him to get a new job or be fired. He chose to stay in state." He's going to be complimentary, even if it wasn't a great compliment.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Aaron Suttles of the Tuscaloosa News reported only an hour or two after Auburn announced the hire he confirmed from multiple sources Saban told him to leave.

Like you said last night, Saban isn't going to publicly say "My thoughts on Lance Thompson going to Auburn? I told him to get a new job or be fired. He chose to stay in state." He's going to be complimentary, even if it wasn't a great compliment.
FWIW, Suttles reiterated that in an article in today's Tuscaloosa News. Article is on Saban being non-committal on Kiffin's return.

Edit: I thought the last line in Suttles' article spoke volumes. A quote from Saban when he was speaking about Thompson: "...we'll continue to try to have the best program that we can have for our players and get the best teachers and coaches for our players."

Clearly, if Saban thought Thompson was the best teacher and coach available, he wouldn't have told him to look elsewhere.

Last edited:

Born2Roll

3rd Team
Oct 8, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
FWIW, Suttles reiterated that in an article in today's Tuscaloosa News. Article is on Saban being non-committal on Kiffin's return.

Edit: I thought the last line in Suttles' article spoke volumes. A quote from Saban when he was speaking about Thompson: "...we'll continue to try to have the best program that we can have for our players and get the best teachers and coaches for our players."

Clearly, if Saban thought Thompson was the best teacher and coach available, he wouldn't have told him to look elsewhere.
I expect Saban to stick around another 3-5 years. It makes sense to start putting more emphasis on teaching the talent we already have.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.