BOL: Lance Thompson Leaving to go to Auburn

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I don't think so; he likes to "win" in recruiting it seems as much as on the field. I do not see him letting up regardless of who the assistants are, and he is a better recruiter than all of them.
I expect Saban to stick around another 3-5 years. It makes sense to start putting more emphasis on teaching the talent we already have.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't think so; he likes to "win" in recruiting it seems as much as on the field. I do not see him letting up regardless of who the assistants are, and he is a better recruiter than all of them.
I've seen numerous comments since the two departures last week that Saban appears to be looking more for coaches that can recruit rather than recruiters that can coach.

We all know Saban will get the players because of his name, Alabama's name and brand, the national exposure, etc. Why not get coaches that can recruit using those advantages rather than having recruiters using them but not producing on the field? Imagine how good the players can be if they have better coaches and develop to their full potential.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I expect Saban to stick around another 3-5 years. It makes sense to start putting more emphasis on teaching the talent we already have.
I say longer than that. To me, he seems the type that can't sit around the house and has to work (nothing wrong with that). I seem him coaching as long as he can if his health holds up.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Few things:

No rush to replace either Thompson or Steele..or the director of player personnel that just left. Lot of things cooking though. Of course, it's already been discussed that Tosh Lupoi is moving onto the field. And also a couple of former players (Kitchens/Townsend) who are now in coaching are on the radar. Completely up in the air.

re: Thompson specifically, all the other reasons of him leaving have probably already been discussed here. One other thing on top of his relationship with Muschamp, is that he has one more year to work in the state to be eligible for AL retirement benefits. So even if he flames awfully at AU, he's got that going for him. If all he has to do is come in and recruit and try to flip players from Alabama that he recruited to Alabama (which I know for a fact he's actively doing probably as I type this), whether successful or not, why not spend one more year in the state to get the retirement benefits...

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Interesting... he could be passing the time to retire for good...
Few things:

No rush to replace either Thompson or Steele..or the director of player personnel that just left. Lot of things cooking though. Of course, it's already been discussed that Tosh Lupoi is moving onto the field. And also a couple of former players (Kitchens/Townsend) who are now in coaching are on the radar. Completely up in the air.

re: Thompson specifically, all the other reasons of him leaving have probably already been discussed here. One other thing on top of his relationship with Muschamp, is that he has one more year to work in the state to be eligible for AL retirement benefits. So even if he flames awfully at AU, he's got that going for him. If all he has to do is come in and recruit and try to flip players from Alabama that he recruited to Alabama (which I know for a face he's actively doing probably as I type this), whether successful or not, why not spend one more year in the state to get the retirement benefits...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Here's another little publicized change:
ALABASTER – The Thompson High School football program added several new staff members plucked from other local high schools – and even the University of Alabama – after the city’s Board of Education approved the hires during a Jan. 8 special-called meeting. -
Tim Castille, a former Briarwood Christian School, University of Alabama and Arizona Cardinals star who previously served as a graduate assistant with Nick Saban’s staff at UA, will serve as Thompson’s strength and conditioning and running backs coach after he was hired as a physical education teacher at THS.
http://www.shelbycountyreporter.com...ua-hoover-shades-valley/#sthash.0NmrPZYB.dpuf

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Interesting... he could be passing the time to retire for good...
He doesn't even have to do that. If he stays in state, as a state employee, he can suspend benefits and continue to build his retirement. Also, he can go elsewhere to coach and still draw his pension. He just can't be a state employee and draw simultaneously. He's technically in the TRSA, instead of the RSA...

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I think the replacements are going to be almost as much of a surprise as the Kiffin hire. Clearly CLK was the Best OC in college football last year & everyone heard what he said about working for CNS "he would have paid for the opportunity".

i just trust Coach to do exactly what he said & go get the very best. But some of the names we want like or feel anxious about for sure.

As far as recruiting CNS is the Best ever, & he has final say.

im good with that.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Just had to post this picture Auburn created bragging about Lance Thompson's accomplishments...

The unedited picture of Lance...

I'm so glad Auburn wants to use the national championships Lance won in Tuscaloosa in their bragging.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Wow . The Barn has absolutely no shame. Should say 3 time philanderer.
Just had to post this picture Auburn created bragging about Lance Thompson's accomplishments...

The unedited picture of Lance...

I'm so glad Auburn wants to use the national championships Lance won in Tuscaloosa in their bragging.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Come on guys! He hit the ground running re: recruiting all those 2 stars and hasn't had time to sit for an updated picture w/all his tigger gear on. Geez!

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Come on guys! He hit the ground running re: recruiting all those 2 stars and hasn't had time to sit for an updated picture w/all his tigger gear on. Geez!

3 times teams won the NC despite his average at best on the field coaching.

You would think working for Bobby Ross and Nick Saban (in which he won NC with) would have made him a better coach by now.

He learned his integrity working for George O'Leary.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wish I could say everything about what I know on this situation, but I can't, obviously. However, for those who know something about his background, Saban's remark about LT's doing the same thing he has always done wasn't just a casual remark...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I wish I could say everything about what I know on this situation, but I can't, obviously. However, for those who know something about his background, Saban's remark about LT's doing the same thing he has always done wasn't just a casual remark...
Anything more than his extracurricular activities with the younger ladies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I know that you are very well versed in some of the behind the scenes activities in T-town, but it is really hard to take Saban seriously when insulting LT since he hired him again after he bolted for UT. I was very surprised by that hire, not to mention other hires/signings over the last few years.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I know that you are very well versed in some of the behind the scenes activities in T-town, but it is really hard to take Saban seriously when insulting LT since he hired him again after he bolted for UT. I was very surprised by that hire, not to mention other hires/signings over the last few years.
Despite his image, CNS is very much a man of second chances. I don't think Lance will get another...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.