BOL: Lance Thompson Leaving to go to Auburn

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

The off-season coaching attrition continues at the University of Alabama has BOL has learned that outside linebackers' coach Lance Thompson will accept a job offer from Auburn coach Gus Malzahn as part of new Tigers' defensive coordinator Will Muschamp's defensive staff.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I think we are seeing the higher priority for recruiters than coaches. should be easy to replace as coaches but not recruiters.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
My POV - neither of these guys were great "on -field" coaches. Bama's defense was less than stellar when these guys were around as coaches, for the most part. They are both excellent recruiters, and I'm not sure how CNS overcomes that, but I'd bet a lot of money Bama's defense is much better from here on out. How the recruiting classes go is another story that remains to be seen.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Lance Thompson and Kevin Steele was kinda " encouraged" to look for the job... Billy Napier is rumored to be " encouraged" Honestly, Its not a bad thing though. I think it boils down to the techniques they were teaching to the players. Napier isn't popular with the WRs...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Never say never in the coaching ranks, particularly with this coach, but I have to believe this will end Mr. Thompson's relationship with a certain school.
As Earle kind of alluded to, I think is a lot more shocking to the passer-by fan than it is in reality. We are in for a bit of a staff shake-up defensively, and Thompson is part of that. Him going to Auburn isn't necessarily the most ideal thing, but really Thompson has been coaching in the southeast for nearly 30 years now, so he was always going to pop up at another SEC school when/if he left Tuscaloosa.

I'm sure there are some slight short-term recruiting concerns, but honestly I don't think it's a big deal. A lot of casual fans and media talking heads will probably blow it out of proportions, but generally I don't think a guy like Saban would really think twice about it.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well, we've lost two of our worst coaches in my opinion in the last 24 hours.

Lost two of our best recruiters at the same time though.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
As Earle kind of alluded to, I think is a lot more shocking to the passer-by fan than it is in reality. We are in for a bit of a staff shake-up defensively, and Thompson is part of that. Him going to Auburn isn't necessarily the most ideal thing, but really Thompson has been coaching in the southeast for nearly 30 years now, so he was always going to pop up at another SEC school when/if he left Tuscaloosa.

I'm sure there are some slight short-term recruiting concerns, but honestly I don't think it's a big deal. A lot of casual fans and media talking heads will probably blow it out of proportions, but generally I don't think a guy like Saban would really think twice about it.
Interesting indeed, kinda look at it the same way. The plus is there are looking to see where we can keep progressing as a whole which is a positive ... right now thats the difference between a coach like Saban and Spurrier right now. Thinking Spurrier not doing what he needed to do to get Muschamp there OR make any moves to progress his defensive staff may come back to bite him next season to be honest.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
I'm surprised that both Thompson and Steele still have the draw they do. I thought after they left the first time and we improved they were a hoax. Guess they both still have a little of the illusionist magic in them.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If you are a known quantity as an elite recruiter, you can always get a job in the SEC. Heck, Saban has hired these guys twice in his stint at the Capstone despite neither really doing anything impressive with their coaching responsibilities. The best years of OLB play were all had with Coach Sal at the position in my opinion. Steele got "promoted" into a demotion in his first stint. I don't think he did anything crazy at ILB this time around...but we didn't see anything above and beyond curating the experience.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Glad to have him. He'll be a real boon to our recruiting efforts.
As a recruiter, you're absolutely right.

As a coach and in his personal life, there's some pretty public baggage.

There are reasons he doesn't stay in one place long. And as mentioned by other posters, I was shocked when Saban took him back the last time UT imploded.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Happy day! I NEVER liked Lance Thompson and was completely bumfuzzled why CNS brought him back. Actually I know the answer to that, he is a great recruiter but he is an awful coach. Hopefully CNS will hire someone that has some coaching ability to replace him as well as Steele.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
You knew there had to be changes coming, I'm ok with it. API will not recruit for Defense, never have never will.
the only shing stars they ever had were thugs, and they fit right in.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm really excited to see what we do at OLB and ILB coach. Bill Clark and Coach O anyone?

Coach O is more of DL guy but I think he'd be great with the Jack LBs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.