Candidates to replace Lance Thompson and Kevin Steele

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
With the turnovers on the coaching staff going on right now, I was wondering who would be candidate to replace those guys?

I think we will see Tosh Lupi to replace Lance Thompson and Deshea Townsend could come back home, but it would mean Kirby would hav eto be moved to ILB position.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
With the turnovers on the coaching staff going on right now, I was wondering who would be candidate to replace those guys?

I think we will see Tosh Lupi to replace Lance Thompson and Deshea Townsend could come back home, but it would mean Kirby would hav eto be moved to ILB position.
If the ILB makes the calls on D then that might be a good move. I'm pulling for Bill Clark to get one of the openings. I know some will disagree but I would love to see Sal Sunseri back coaching the outside LB/DE/pass rush.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Chris Kiffin
hmmmmmm . . Wonder if C Kiff can make a transition from DL to LBs as a position coach . . . you may be on to something with this one. Same DL to LB question with Lupoi. Don't think Bo Davis is leaving the DL spot any time soon.

Bill Clark . . wasn't he DC at South Alabama when they were starting the program?

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Sal Sunseri and Coach Saban wasn't on good term when he left. Lot of factors invovled in that. Don't think he'll be back at UA for long time unless these two resolves their issues....

Bill Clark may be a popular name among the fans, but many forget that He was the head coach of UAB.... and to move to UA coaching staff under the same system might not work out well because of how admins handled the football situation. if Bill can get past that, and is willing to come work under Saban, then great. Unlikely, but it could happen.
If the ILB makes the calls on D then that might be a good move. I'm pulling for Bill Clark to get one of the openings. I know some will disagree but I would love to see Sal Sunseri back coaching the outside LB/DE/pass rush.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
The Black Bear DL was really good, but of course, they recruited well. Beyond that, I don't know anything about him. He knows the league, and there is the brotherly connection.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Sal Sunseri and Coach Saban wasn't on good term when he left. Lot of factors invovled in that. Don't think he'll be back at UA for long time unless these two resolves their issues....

Bill Clark may be a popular name among the fans, but many forget that He was the head coach of UAB.... and to move to UA coaching staff under the same system might not work out well because of how admins handled the football situation. if Bill can get past that, and is willing to come work under Saban, then great. Unlikely, but it could happen.
I wondered the same with Sunseri, but like him as a coach.

I agree on Clark, I would understand if he was uncomfortable at the notion, but he would be silly not be intrigued of an opportunity to coach with Coach Saban. And he's a solid defensive mind as well.

bamajag600

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2006
Hawaii
Chris Kiffin was named 2013 Recruiter of the year, so he would obviously be great addition in that area. But like 579 said, he's a DL coach and I don't see Bo Davis going anywhere. Could C. Kiffin make the move to LB coach?

Deshea Townsend is another interesting name, young coach with connection to Bama and has experience both playing and coaching in the SEC and NFL. Not sure how good of a recruiter he is, but I'm betting he would be a solid addition the staff. Btw, Mullen apparently trusted him to call the defensive plays in the Orange Bowl after the DC left for the Florida job.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Candidates that are being considered for the job: Derrick Ansley (Defensive Backs), Micheal Barrow (Linebackers), Bill Clark (Linebackers), Terry Joseph (Defensive Backs), Travis Pearson (Linebackers), Freddie Roach (Linebackers), Kevin Sherrer (Linebackers), Tyson Summers (Defensive Backs or Linebackers), and DeShea Townsend (Defensive Backs)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Candidates that are being considered for the job: Derrick Ansley (Defensive Backs), Micheal Barrow (Linebackers), Bill Clark (Linebackers), Terry Joseph (Defensive Backs), Travis Pearson (Linebackers), Freddie Roach (Linebackers), Kevin Sherrer (Linebackers), Tyson Summers (Defensive Backs or Linebackers), and DeShea Townsend (Defensive Backs)
This is per ? 4 DB coaches, did not know we lost our 2 DB coaches.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.