Link: Mariota declares for draft. How far will Oregon fall? Or will they?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
MM was incredibly quick - finding someone that quick with an arm like that isn't an easy task. Forget about what's between their ears; that takes the degree of difficulty up tenfold.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Oregon was still playing with a lot of Chip Kelly recruits. The key for Oregon going forward is whether Helfrich can recruit as well as Kelly did.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
I think with the more than likely rise of USCw we will see the Ducks slip a bit. USCw will more than likely run a more physical style offense and with the talent they'll surely recruit will hinder the Ducks' success.
They get the talent but right now they don't have the coaching. Sarkisian is far from being an elite level coach and I don't see them being a major factor in the conference until they get an elite coaching staff.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
I'm basing it on the fact that, in the championship game, he ran for more than 12 yds below his average, his completion % was four points lower than his average, he went 3 for 10 passing on third down (the Ducks were 2 for 12 on 3rd down overall -- 0 for 4 in the second half -- and 0-2 on 4th down, including once on 4th and goal from the one), and was stuffed at the 1 yard line on 3rd and goal. He was 7/15 in the second half with 1 TD and 1 INT. IMO, for a QB that normally puts up video game-like stats - the Heisman Trophy winner, that's struggling. And considering it was the national championship game, I'd say it was mightily. Just my opinion, though. I just think he's more a product of that system and believe it will show through at the next level. Of course, I wouldn't bet anything on that. ;)
I agree with you and I would bet on that, having watched tons of Oregon games. There's a certain IT factor that Mariota just doesn't have that QBs like Cam Newton and Jameis Winston have. He's a great guy but he has a tendency to crumble under pressure. It happened against Stanford two years in an row and in this last game. I've seen it before, and it rubs off on the entire team. They played horrible. Just about every single one of them. None of them played up to their ability and it was really embarrassing for us. I also really hate how the program caved in to Nike and accepted their choice of uniforms for the most important game of the season. Black, white and gray? Really, are we the Raiders? Even the players didn't like them and would have preferred the school colors worn in the Rose Bowl. Part of me wonders if they might have played better based on the choice of uniform alone.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I agree with you and I would bet on that, having watched tons of Oregon games. There's a certain IT factor that Mariota just doesn't have that QBs like Cam Newton and Jameis Winston have. He's a great guy but he has a tendency to crumble under pressure. It happened against Stanford two years in an row and in this last game. I've seen it before, and it rubs off on the entire team. They played horrible. Just about every single one of them. None of them played up to their ability and it was really embarrassing for us. I also really hate how the program caved in to Nike and accepted their choice of uniforms for the most important game of the season. Black, white and gray? Really, are we the Raiders? Even the players didn't like them and would have preferred the school colors worn in the Rose Bowl. Part of me wonders if they might have played better based on the choice of uniform alone.
If a uniform choice has the ability to affect your players' mindsets going into a game, then you've already lost the game.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The point is, they don't need Miller. Mariota was a nobody out of HS and in this SYSTEM, he flourished.

The next QB will look amazing as well. And on and on.

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
Don't believe Oregon will fall too far. It's a plug and play system. Of course they will find a way to lose a game they shouldn't, just like they always do.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Doubtful. Mariota was only offered a scholarship by two schools - Oregon and Memphis...

IOW, Oregon doesn't typically recruit at a high level; they win with speed and that stupid HUNH.
I agree. They have a system and will plug some new guys in and keep on rush, rush, rushing. As long as they can cheat the system and get away with it, they will continue to win. If they had to play big, physical teams every week, they would get beaten down. However, they play in the PAC, so they will plug and play on.
Edit- Hahaha, I just read some of the other posts and discovered that my "original" thoughts weren't so original.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Have any HUNH quarterbacks made in the NFL long term? I think Mariota will get his shot, but I will be surprised if he makes it. Oregon will plug in the next system guy and win a lot of games. I don't see them going away. The championship game was lost at the line of scrimmage and until that is addressed, they won't win it all.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Considering the HUNH is only a few years old, I'd say 'long term' is an impossible measure, but Cam Newton has done pretty well.
Let's be honest, though - Cam did well in the HUNH at the Barn but he would have been good in a Pro-Set as well.

Your "prototypical" HUNH-Spread QB is going to be a guy who - though he might have top-end speed - is quicker-than-fast, doesn't necessarily have a stellar arm, and whose greatest asset is the ability to make good decisions. Of course, you could replace that last one with "whose greatest asset is being extremely lucky", a la Manziel. :)

There's a difference between a good "HUNH QB" and a "good QB" who happens to play in a HUNH offense.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The HUNH integrated with spread type offenses is what makes a lot of quarterbacks "good" on the college level. The game isn't as controlled by the refs in college as in the pros. That's been obvious seeing that Chip Kelly has yet to "own" the NFL with his version of it. He's not even running exactly what he ran at Oregon. He's not been able too. He's had to adapt.

But it makes it easier to be a "good" quarterback. But when they get in the pros and the game and pace of it is more controlled by the refs, the windows get smaller and they are forced to do something they've never been asked to do. And that's read a defense and go through progressions based on pre snap reads.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I also really hate how the program caved in to Nike and accepted their choice of uniforms for the most important game of the season.
Well, Nike and Phil Knight are the reason Oregon is as popular as it is now. When someone helps as much as he does, you have to allow somethings.

Black, white and gray? Really, are we the Raiders? Even the players didn't like them and would have preferred the school colors worn in the Rose Bowl. Part of me wonders if they might have played better based on the choice of uniform alone.

The HUNH integrated with spread type offenses is what makes a lot of quarterbacks "good" on the college level. The game isn't as controlled by the refs in college as in the pros. That's been obvious seeing that Chip Kelly has yet to "own" the NFL with his version of it. He's not even running exactly what he ran at Oregon. He's not been able too. He's had to adapt.

But it makes it easier to be a "good" quarterback. But when they get in the pros and the game and pace of it is more controlled by the refs, the windows get smaller and they are forced to do something they've never been asked to do. And that's read a defense and go through progressions based on pre snap reads.
One reason I think spread QBs have yet to transition to the pro game because of the offensive line. Think back to when we played Texas Tech in the Cotton Bowl. We were able to get pressure because of the wide splits the OL used. Not only does the spread make the DBs and LBs spread out, most spread offensives have wider splits on the line, leading to the DL spread further apart. Teams aren't doing that in the NFL yet. Therefore, the pocket isn't as big as in the college game.

The spread QB then faces two problems he didn't have in college: smaller pocket and faster defensive players.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.