Link: Mariota declares for draft. How far will Oregon fall? Or will they?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Doubtful. Mariota was only offered a scholarship by two schools - Oregon and Memphis...

IOW, Oregon doesn't typically recruit at a high level; they win with speed and that stupid HUNH.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
We'll see. Stanford is better than the record they had this year. Arizona and ASU have gotten better.
I was surprised he declared, but will be even more surprised if they have someone to take his place next year who is half as good as he was these last two years.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
They will almost certainly fall IMO. When Mariota was out with shoulder pain after Bosa tackled him, the team seemed to have no sense of direction or rhythm. They got a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, then Lockie came in and the announcers mentioned that he had played very little this year. Oregon got a false start penalty, then a pretty sad-looking incompletion before Mariota returned. Mariota was the driving force for them for two years.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Doubtful. Mariota was only offered a scholarship by two schools - Oregon and Memphis...

IOW, Oregon doesn't typically recruit at a high level; they win with speed and that stupid HUNH.
And without his full complement of receivers and against 'power football' competition, MM struggled mightily. Doesn't bode well for his NFL future, especially if he gets drafted by any team not coached by Chip Kelly.

As long as Phil Knight is pumping money into their program, Oregon will do well. Just not Championship level well.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
And without his full complement of receivers and against 'power football' competition, MM struggled mightily. Doesn't bode well for his NFL future, especially if he gets drafted by any team not coached by Chip Kelly.
Worth noting that against Michigan State, Florida State, and Ohio State, Mariota completed roughly 66% of his passes, threw for about 1,000 yards, and had 7 touchdowns against 2 picks. Also added nearly another 150 rushing yards and a rushing touchdown, too.

Who knows, perhaps he flops in the pros, but those are monster numbers he posted against some very good opponents. "Struggled mightily" is just plain wrong. Oregon was ultimately overwhelmed by Ohio State, of course, but Mariota was never the problem. If anything, he -- along with the Ohio State butter fingers -- was the only thing keeping the game competitive.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I don't expect them to really drop for two reasons:
1. Oregon is successful because of their system, not because of Mariota.
2. I've posted this on here before, but the national championship teams of the last 5-10 years have been dominated by 1st and maybe 2nd year QBs. Veteran QBs haven't made the championship game often in recent years and if they do, they lose (example: Marcus Mariota). A great system with talent is more important than having a veteran QB.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't expect them to really drop for two reasons:
1. Oregon is successful because of their system, not because of Mariota.
2. I've posted this on here before, but the national championship teams of the last 5-10 years have been dominated by 1st and maybe 2nd year QBs. Veteran QBs haven't made the championship game often in recent years and if they do, they lose (example: Marcus Mariota). A great system with talent is more important than having a veteran QB.
How odd is that? Goes against all football logic. LOL!

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Who was the QB in 2010 when they played for the NC against AU? I honestly can't recall off the top of my head. I probably won't forget MM that easily but I expect with 2-3 years they will be back in the hunt for the NC with another QB. They do have a good system in place even if they haven't won the NC.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Who was the QB in 2010 when they played for the NC against AU? I honestly can't recall off the top of my head. I probably won't forget MM that easily but I expect with 2-3 years they will be back in the hunt for the NC with another QB. They do have a good system in place even if they haven't won the NC.
Darron Thomas. Last seen playing Arena Football.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
As far as I'm concerned, no one has come close to Mariota's performance as a HUNH quarterback. As such, the only way Oregon doesn't take a significant step back is if they miraculously find a QB who can match some of Mariota's production AND they become the first hurry-up team in history to play actual defense.

Splitting the atom may prove easier.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Not one Oregon QB has had, what I would consider, a good NFL career, but they keep winning...... Psst, It's entirely the system! I would never draft any QB from Oregon, or any other "system" program.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
How odd is that? Goes against all football logic. LOL!
I can't explain it. Starting with Alabama's ascent... AJ McCarron is the only QB to win a national championship who wasn't in his first year as a starter. But, he did that too the year prior.

2014 - Cardale Jones (1st year) over Marcus Mariota (3rd year starter)
2013 - Jameis Winston (1st) over Nick Marshall (1st)
2012 - McCarron (2nd) over Everett Golson (1st)
2011 - McCarron (1st) over Jarrett Lee (2nd - but two non-consecutive years)
2010 - Cam Newton (1st) over Darron Thomas (1st)
2009 - McElroy (1st) over Colt McCoy (4th) and Garrett Gilbert...

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
I'm so glad that my Dolphins don't have one of the top 2 picks this year and have to chose between a great QB with discipline problems or a system QB. Who had the best NFL career out of all Oregon QBs of the Bellotti/Kelly/Helfrich era? Was it Joey Harrington or Kellen Clemens? If he goes Tampa or Tennessee, he will be a complete bust. He might do okay on the Eagles, but no way he falls that low.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Yeah he was supposed to be irreplaceable.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I'm so glad that my Dolphins don't have one of the top 2 picks this year and have to chose between a great QB with discipline problems or a system QB. Who had the best NFL career out of all Oregon QBs of the Bellotti/Kelly/Helfrich era? Was it Joey Harrington or Kellen Clemens? If he goes Tampa or Tennessee, he will be a complete bust. He might do okay on the Eagles, but no way he falls that low.
To be fair, the Titans could probably make anyone a complete bust.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Worth noting that against Michigan State, Florida State, and Ohio State, Mariota completed roughly 66% of his passes, threw for about 1,000 yards, and had 7 touchdowns against 2 picks. Also added nearly another 150 rushing yards and a rushing touchdown, too.

Who knows, perhaps he flops in the pros, but those are monster numbers he posted against some very good opponents. "Struggled mightily" is just plain wrong. Oregon was ultimately overwhelmed by Ohio State, of course, but Mariota was never the problem. If anything, he -- along with the Ohio State butter fingers -- was the only thing keeping the game competitive.
I'm basing it on the fact that, in the championship game, he ran for more than 12 yds below his average, his completion % was four points lower than his average, he went 3 for 10 passing on third down (the Ducks were 2 for 12 on 3rd down overall -- 0 for 4 in the second half -- and 0-2 on 4th down, including once on 4th and goal from the one), and was stuffed at the 1 yard line on 3rd and goal. He was 7/15 in the second half with 1 TD and 1 INT. IMO, for a QB that normally puts up video game-like stats - the Heisman Trophy winner, that's struggling. And considering it was the national championship game, I'd say it was mightily. Just my opinion, though. I just think he's more a product of that system and believe it will show through at the next level. Of course, I wouldn't bet anything on that. ;)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They have a system in place. The only mitigating factor is if their current head coach doesn't have the ability to maintain it. They were a competitive team playing in BCS games and challenge USC even when Carroll was around. I don't see them falling off the map just because of Mariota leaving.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.