Alabama has highest rate of teacher-student sex

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It interests me that the vast majority are women, rather than men, although I know there have been a number of men, including some locally, who've been prosecuted...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The article said:
Abbott and other advocates have lobbied for more uniform laws and sentencing guidelines nationwide, but until such legislation is adopted, there's always going to be some disparity, he said.
While sex between an educator and a student is unethical (it just strikes me as an abuse of a trusted position), I'm not sure why different states having different statutes is a problem.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
While sex between an educator and a student is unethical (it just strikes me as an abuse of a trusted position), I'm not sure why different states having different statutes is a problem.
Voting against perverts is a win-win situation - in any state... :)

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
In Wyoming, as long as the student is 16 or older and consents to the relationship, it's not a crime.
IMO, that's disgusting. I don't give a crap about the law, if I'm living in Wyoming and a teacher lays a hand on my 16yo, that teacher better hope he's able to get out of the country alive.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
We don't need no education......we don't need no thought control......no dark sarcasm in the classroom.....teachers leave them kids alone......hey teacher, leave those kids alone....

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Not sure where I suggested that...
No, you didn't suggest it. (Apologies if it seemed that way).
The subject of the interview in the OP ordinal story seemed to be making the argument that we should either (a) have all the states adopt uniform laws on what constitutes illegal sexual contact between teachers and students or (b) adopt a Federal statute, so he can count more easily how many cases there are. Well, deciding the law on the subject in a particular state is part of the state's legitimate (and I would argue sovereign) police powers. I really do not care if it makes it harder for DoE bureaucrats to count the cases.

When I was a Graduate Teaching Assistant at Alabama, the director of graduate studies assembled the GTAs and told us that if she caught any GTA having a sexual relationship with a student, she would "fire your [backside]." Appropriately so. And even though I was substantially older than my GTA peers, (most were 2-4 years older than their charges), I believe it is always unethical for a teacher (even a GTA, since they assign the actual grades) to have a sexual relationship with a student, even a student only two years younger than the teacher and both over 18 years of age. It is just improper.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
No, you didn't suggest it. (Apologies if it seemed that way).
The subject of the interview in the OP ordinal story seemed to be making the argument that we should either (a) have all the states adopt uniform laws on what constitutes illegal sexual contact between teachers and students or (b) adopt a Federal statute, so he can count more easily how many cases there are. Well, deciding the law on the subject in a particular state is part of the state's legitimate (and I would argue sovereign) police powers. I really do not care if it makes it harder for DoE bureaucrats to count the cases.

When I was a Graduate Teaching Assistant at Alabama, the director of graduate studies assembled the GTAs and told us that if she caught any GTA having a sexual relationship with a student, she would "fire your [backside]." Appropriately so. And even though I was substantially older than my GTA peers, (most were 2-4 years older than their charges), I believe it is always unethical for a teacher (even a GTA, since they assign the actual grades) to have a sexual relationship with a student, even a student only two years younger than the teacher and both over 18 years of age. It is just improper.
I agree. It's basically an abuse of power crime...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.