That's it, if Nick Saban ever leaves, I want Gary Patterson at the Capstone

TidenLA

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2001
Sparks, Nevada
I'd be all in for Patterson if he were 8-10 years younger. I've a got feeling that his age will be a discouraging factor for both him and us when the time comes that we have an opening down the line.
And how old was Saban when he got to Bama? hummm?

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
To the person who started this thread.

Are you going to be happy with a 7 - 6, 4 - 8, and 12 - 1 record at Alabama?

I think Coach Saban has deserved many Bryant awards. Look at his records since 2008. I don't see a 4 - 8 in there anywhere.

Maybe we better take a longer look at who should replace Coach when he is in his 80's or 90's.
TCU is also a private religious school with an undergraduate enrollment of around 8,400 people, which is notable mostly because of how it affects your walk-on program (i.e., hurts not helps). Not as challenging as Rice or Tulsa, but it's not like being the state school in SEC territory, either.

The real issue with Patterson is one of fit. I don't think he wants to coach in this area of the country. There is also age to factor in, as well as the relative expectations of where he is now -- i.e., they won't kill him over a 4-8 record every once in awhile -- versus that of a school like Alabama. I've also long wondered whether he was/is friends with Franchione, and I don't know the answer to that question. But if he is friends with Franchione, it would make attracting him to Tuscaloosa very difficult. On both sides.

If Saban had left prior to this year, I would have made Jim Harbaugh tell me "no" first, then I would have pursued McElwain. Saban is very unlikely to coach beyond 70, in my opinion. I think by that time, McElwain will have a sufficient body of work and you'll see Alabama and Florida in a major war for his services. If McElwain isn't an option, you can start by looking at any other coach with Saban connections and prior, successful head coaching experience (meaning, Fisher would be in play), and if no one from that group is available, begin looking at whoever is an assistant on Saban's final UA staff. I am virtually certain Alabama will hire from the Saban coaching tree when he eventually leaves.

Sano

1st Team
Oct 30, 2006
NYC
TCU is also a private religious school with an undergraduate enrollment of around 8,400 people, which is notable mostly because of how it affects your walk-on program (i.e., hurts not helps). Not as challenging as Rice or Tulsa, but it's not like being the state school in SEC territory, either.

The real issue with Patterson is one of fit. I don't think he wants to coach in this area of the country. There is also age to factor in, as well as the relative expectations of where he is now -- i.e., they won't kill him over a 4-8 record every once in awhile -- versus that of a school like Alabama. I've also long wondered whether he was/is friends with Franchione, and I don't know the answer to that question. But if he is friends with Franchione, it would make attracting him to Tuscaloosa very difficult. On both sides.

If Saban had left prior to this year, I would have made Jim Harbaugh tell me "no" first, then I would have pursued McElwain. Saban is very unlikely to coach beyond 70, in my opinion. I think by that time, McElwain will have a sufficient body of work and you'll see Alabama and Florida in a major war for his services. If McElwain isn't an option, you can start by looking at any other coach with Saban connections and prior, successful head coaching experience (meaning, Fisher would be in play), and if no one from that group is available, begin looking at whoever is an assistant on Saban's final UA staff. I am virtually certain Alabama will hire from the Saban coaching tree when he eventually leaves.
My thread attracted a comment from Jess...!!!!!!! I can't freakin believe it..!! that's it, I've made it..!

Thanks for the elaborate and informative answer. I am dreading the day he stops coaching and I know that it will be rollercoaster trying to settle for anybody for that matter but I was alarmed of how allot of my Bama brothers were so academic about the criteria of who should follow that leaves you thinking that the only acceptable choice is for the school to start experimenting with cloning lol..

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
Saban is very unlikely to coach beyond 70, in my opinion. I think by that time, McElwain will have a sufficient body of work and you'll see Alabama and Florida in a major war for his services. If McElwain isn't an option, you can start by looking at any other coach with Saban connections and prior, successful head coaching experience (meaning, Fisher would be in play), and if no one from that group is available, begin looking at whoever is an assistant on Saban's final UA staff. I am virtually certain Alabama will hire from the Saban coaching tree when he eventually leaves.
Totally agree with JessN

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Only concern I have is with your last sentence. I believe that is exactly what got us in trouble after Coach Bryant for the next 20 years. When we tried to go "outside the family" with Bill Curry we know how that worked out.

I'd prefer that whenever CNS decides to step aside we'd just go out and find the best coach possible, no matter the connections.

BTW, I do agree that CNS won't coach nearly as many years as some say. I don't see him coaching later into life like Joe Pa.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Patterson is to TCU what Beamer is to Virginia Tech. I know it is the off season but man I cringe at these speculation threads about replacing our coach. There will be major fall off no matter who it is so I prefer to enjoy the moment.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
There is a rumor (the one I just started) that Urban Myer is just dying to be the next coach at Alabama after Coach Saban retires 10 years from now. I also heard he would have to wait his time behind Bill Belichick. I hope Coach Saban can coach for another 20 years. Still has a chance to be the greatest ever. He is already the 2nd greatest. One school has the best 2 head coaches of all time.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Only concern I have is with your last sentence. I believe that is exactly what got us in trouble after Coach Bryant for the next 20 years. When we tried to go "outside the family" with Bill Curry we know how that worked out.

I'd prefer that whenever CNS decides to step aside we'd just go out and find the best coach possible, no matter the connections.

BTW, I do agree that CNS won't coach nearly as many years as some say. I don't see him coaching later into life like Joe Pa.
"Outside the Family" means not hiring Alabama Alums, players, etc........ The Saban Coaching tree is not necessarily "family" defined in the way that you think it is.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
"Outside the Family" means not hiring Alabama Alums, players, etc........ The Saban Coaching tree is not necessarily "family" defined in the way that you think it is.
I was using the term to actually refer to what Jess said...hiring someone in CNS's coaching family.

It might be slightly different than what happened after CPB, but to try to hire a coach with CNS connections could be just as risky IMO.

The point I was making: Just hire the best coach available NO MATTER THE CONNECTION.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I was using the term to actually refer to what Jess said...hiring someone in CNS's coaching family.

It might be slightly different than what happened after CPB, but to try to hire a coach with CNS connections could be just as risky IMO.

The point I was making: Just hire the best coach available NO MATTER THE CONNECTION.
I agree, but it was a whole lot different than what "Family" meant back in the 80's when Coach Bryant retired. BTW - Coach Saban is part of the Coach Bryant Coaching Tree.

Saban played defensive back at Kent State for Don James from 1970-72. James was an assistant coach from 1960-65 at Fla. St. for Bill Peterson. Bill Peterson was an assistant at LSU for Paul Dietzel from 1955-59. Dietzel was an assistant coach for Bear Bryant at Kentucky in 1951 and '52. Saban won the 2003 national title at LSU.

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

I appreciate the insider perspective and I'd love to see McElwain when the time comes (assuming he's had sucess at UF). But, I pray JF is NEVER in play at UA.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I dont see any problem with hiring someone from his tree or even a current or former assistant in this circumstance. There only 2 coaches nationally the give consistent high-level results - Saban and Meyer. Nobody else comes close. The biggest part of their success is a very well-thought organized process and strict discipline and focused care/concern for the total player. I think it would be obvious that you would rather hire someone who has coached successfully under such that process-oriented culture before I would option for someone who pretty much is only good when he has senior leadership on the team.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Patterson won't leave tcu even if we made him a top 4 highest paid coach. He is truly happy with his current situation. We would have a better chance at getting art briles as a replacement than Gary. To be honest I hope CNS stays for atleast 3 to 4 years because the pickings are very slim at big name coaches that we could potentially have. I say off the top of my head that David shaw would be the best one to go after and after that we might need to look at a great offensive minded coach.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I dont see any problem with hiring someone from his tree or even a current or former assistant in this circumstance. There only 2 coaches nationally the give consistent high-level results - Saban and Meyer. Nobody else comes close. The biggest part of their success is a very well-thought organized process and strict discipline and focused care/concern for the total player. I think it would be obvious that you would rather hire someone who has coached successfully under such that process-oriented culture before I would option for someone who pretty much is only good when he has senior leadership on the team.
I agree, but there are coaches coaching now who will be the new Saban and Meyer in 10 years. Part of what has made Meyer and Saban who they are is where they have coached - and part of that is due to the fact that they have coached long enough to work their way up. But another part is that they have also coached long enough to have successes and failures and learned from those failures.

Maybe McElwain will be that elite level coach soon. Maybe Jim Harbaugh. Maybe Dabo Swinney. There are coaches who haven't experienced Meyer/Saban-like success only because they are coaching at a lower level school or are young enough that they are still learning.

Heck, fifteen years ago, Saban had never won more than 9 games in a season through his time at Toledo, Michigan State, and LSU. He had a 63% winning pct. If you had said that one day Saban would be viewed in higher esteem than Phillip Fulmer, Bob Stoops, and Lloyd Carr, it would have sounded crazy.

I completely agree with you about what has made them great. I'd rather hire someone with great habits and behaviors and an average record than someone with a great record with poor habits and behaviors. The one with good habits and behaviors will continually get better and better. That's how Saban went from a 63% winning pct coach to the undisputed king of the football world. And, I believe it's how Urban Meyer is now holding the goods. They both continued to get better, regardless of how good they are/were.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Patterson won't leave tcu even if we made him a top 4 highest paid coach. He is truly happy with his current situation. We would have a better chance at getting art briles as a replacement than Gary. To be honest I hope CNS stays for atleast 3 to 4 years because the pickings are very slim at big name coaches that we could potentially have. I say off the top of my head that David shaw would be the best one to go after and after that we might need to look at a great offensive minded coach.
I believe everyone has their "price" for happiness.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I believe everyone has their "price" for happiness.
Maybe but he is at the age I think he is set, and i would've thought he would've had some big time offers after the rose bowl win in 11. I still think shaw and briles are currently the best potentials, but I'm in the boat that the next coach will be blessed by saban and most likely on his staff. Probably either kiffin or smart. Out of those two I think kiffin would be the safer gamble due to experience as a head coach and so many recent great dcs have been big time busts as hcs.Not saying kiffin will be the next coach but it will not shock me at the least.only time will tell, but when CNS steps down there will most likely be a drop off, but alabama will survive.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Internet search will give you the answers pretty easily.:frown:

Coach Stallings was 27-45-1 at Texas A&M. Coach Bryant was 25-14-2.
My point was to question the post about Patterson not meeting our standards for hiring a coach. If that were the case, CGS would have been laughed off this board.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.