That's it, if Nick Saban ever leaves, I want Gary Patterson at the Capstone

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think it has been well proven that Patterson was the brains behind TCU, not fRAN, that's for certain.

We could do a lot worse than him, but frankly, I hope that event is still years away.

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
Patterson has some great defensive concepts in place to defend against spread teams. I'd love to see what he could do with top notch athletes.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
His last three years are 7-6, 4-8, and 12-1. I'm not so sure that is Bama head coach material right there.

To the person who started this thread.

Are you going to be happy with a 7 - 6, 4 - 8, and 12 - 1 record at Alabama?

I think Coach Saban has deserved many Bryant awards. Look at his records since 2008. I don't see a 4 - 8 in there anywhere.

Maybe we better take a longer look at who should replace Coach when he is in his 80's or 90's.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
He was also transitioning into a new conference which has a different style of play than most of the others. One of those years I also think they lost two QBs (​So I guess he's no Urban). The dude can flat out coach, I'm not really sure that it is debatable.
He is pretty good, (just not Alabama good IMO), but there is no reason for any coach to go 4-8, when they have been there as long as he has. You think if he goes 7-6 and then 4-8, at Alabama he will given another year. I don't think so.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Not trying to stir any rumors, this is just a thought that crossed my mind and I wondered what others think... Let's face it, the legend can not coach forever.. I dont know much about Gary or his character but what he did for TCU is outstanding to me..

plus it is the only way I can get rid of this annoying notification everytime I log in here telling me it is been ages since I posted anything.. ;)

http://espn.go.com/college-football...orned-frogs-wins-bear-bryant-coach-year-award

Mod, feel free to delete if you think it is a taboo topic..
I thought it was interesting that in the article it says "Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher were originally finalists for the award but were disqualified because they couldn't attend the event". I wonder if CNS would have won if he was there, especially since he was so proud of this year's team. Krymsonman

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I'm stunned as to how Patterson is getting ripped by so many people. I thought he was widely accepted to be a great football coach. I'm hoping it is just the love for Coach Saban that is making people rip a potential replacement with Patterson's resume.

I hate to break it to you but we aren't going to end up hiring someone who has achieved as much as Coach Saban, it's not possible. On that point, you're looking at Saban's success at Alabama and using that for why Coach Patterson isn't worthy. Well Coach Saban's resume has gotten significantly more impressive after he became the Alabama coach.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
He is pretty good, (just not Alabama good IMO), but there is no reason for any coach to go 4-8, when they have been there as long as he has. You think if he goes 7-6 and then 4-8, at Alabama he will given another year. I don't think so.
Weird that you would pick that stretch and ignore the previous decade.

Top 5 current coaches by win % (Minimum 150 games)

1. Urban Meyer: 84.5%
2. Bob Stoops: 79.2%
3. Nick Saban: 75.4%
4. Gary Patterson: 74.5%
5. Mark Richt: 73.9%

(Patterson is the only coach among the top 5 who doesn't have teams stocked with 5 star talent.)

Sure if you look at a random 3 year stretch you can make it look bad to fit your argument. Bear Bryant's record from 1968-1970:

8-3
6-5
6-5

Guess they should have fired him too for such a bad stretch.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I also loved his attitude after his team got left out of the playoffs. No whining, no complaining, no lobbying in front of the microphone. He quietly gathered his team around and got ready to go back to work. (Unlike Art Briles.)

Baylor and TCU had two very different approaches to the bowl season. TCU focused on Ole Miss, and dismantled them. Baylor focused on getting left out of the playoffs and got beat by Michigan State. Patterson is exactly the type of coach I love. He doesn't focus on missed opportunities, he focuses on what's in front of him.
Yes,
I noticed that too. He just struck me as a classy coach. Would be good to follow CNS, who is in my opinon a classy coach, with another one.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm stunned as to how Patterson is getting ripped by so many people. I thought he was widely accepted to be a great football coach. I'm hoping it is just the love for Coach Saban that is making people rip a potential replacement with Patterson's resume.

I hate to break it to you but we aren't going to end up hiring someone who has achieved as much as Coach Saban, it's not possible. On that point, you're looking at Saban's success at Alabama and using that for why Coach Patterson isn't worthy. Well Coach Saban's resume has gotten significantly more impressive after he became the Alabama coach.
I agree that you don't replace CNS with someone better...at least somebody we know is better.

However, I really believed Bama PTB learned a lesson after our years of wandering in the wilderness and I don't think we'll struggle nearly as much after CNS leaves as some might think.

Two words: Les Miles

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I don't know if Alabama would really go after Patterson though. Figuring CNS retiring is a few years out, Patterson would be pushing 58-60 years old when the opportunity would become available. IMO, I think that Alabama would optimally look into someone around 45-50ish years old.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.