Cardale Jones decides against entering NFL draft

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Cardale Jones entering NFL draft

I was shocked to hear him say that he was staying to finish his degree. In fact, I called him a liar to my wife. He might have stayed, but he has made it very clear that he does not value a college education.

He might be a great NFL QB - impossible to predict. He has the strongest arm that I have seen since Elway. But he still takes too long to make decisions when receivers are tightly covered, and they will be much more tightly covered in the NFL. He is a project, plain and simple. But he will get drafted and get at least 3-4 years to prove himself while making nearly half million dollars/year. Don't blame him one bit.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama

Don't blame him in the slightest. Ride the pine or go earn a paycheck.

He will be a very intriguing prospect come draft time. Reminds me of Cam.
That's an interesting comparison. Cam only played one year, and I think you could make the argument that Cardale's college passing skills have looked far superior to Cam's in his 3 starts.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

That's an interesting comparison. Cam only played one year, and I think you could make the argument that Cardale's college passing skills have looked far superior to Cam's in his 3 starts.
Newton also had an amazing season (including an NJCAA national championship) at Blinn before going to Auburn. We knew a lot more about him than we do about Jones, IMO.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I was shocked to hear him say that he was staying to finish his degree. In fact, I called him a liar to my wife. He might have stayed, but he has made it very clear that he does not value a college education.

He might be a great NFL QB - impossible to predict. He has the strongest arm that I have seen since Elway. But he still takes too long to make decisions when receivers are tightly covered, and they will be much more tightly covered in the NFL. He is a project, plain and simple. But he will get drafted and get at least 3-4 years to prove himself while making nearly half million dollars/year. Don't blame him one bit.
You hit it on the head on all of it.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama

Newton also had an amazing season (including an NJCAA national championship) at Blinn before going to Auburn. We knew a lot more about him than we do about Jones, IMO.
I don't know how he did at Blinn, but his amazing season at Auburn was mostly amazing because of his running ability. He didn't put up very good passing stats, IIRC. I agree you had a larger body of work, but even at that, his JUCO career doesn't really translate to draft status does it?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I don't know how he did at Blinn, but his amazing season at Auburn was mostly amazing because of his running ability. He didn't put up very good passing stats, IIRC. I agree you had a larger body of work, but even at that, his JUCO career doesn't really translate to draft status does it?
Good question. I do not know.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I don't know how he did at Blinn, but his amazing season at Auburn was mostly amazing because of his running ability. He didn't put up very good passing stats, IIRC.
Sure he did - 185/280 (66.1%) for 2854 yards (10.2 avg), 30 TDs, 7 INTs and 182.0 rating.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

Right, and he reminds me of Roethlisberger a lot more than Cam. I don't think he has Cam's wheels but he's hard to bring down like Big Ben with a cannon. The kid should cash his chips. I didn't realize he would be eligible.

OTOH, I don't believe the Buckeyes have a better QB. The best ball they played all year was with Jones.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

Sure he did - 185/280 (66.1%) for 2854 yards (10.2 avg), 30 TDs, 7 INTs and 182.0 rating.
Yeah he was a more than adequate passer especially given the way that they like to attack in the passing game. His first few starts his passing was a bit off but it improved gradually throughout the season.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

I think he is going to sit the bench for about 3 years or so before he gets his chance. I do wonder if he has the "mental" game for the Pros.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Well, talking to a few Buckeye friends, the reasoning is:
- He's 22, he's no kid
- speaking of which, he has a new baby
- He's never going to look better than he does right now
- Apparently there's zero chance Barrett isn't the starter when back from injury, so he's not going the starting next year
- Even if he goes 3rd day (initial projection), he's gonna make the league minimum ($400k-ish / year) to sit behind someone and learn. Same as college but he can support his family.

I actually think it's not a bad move. Make a good living to learn and in a few years, likely make a LOT of money. Dude has all the tools.
My first thought was, "NFL draft? He won't even start for OSU next year." But looking at it your way. IF a team will draft you and you can make the mininum to sit on the bench, what's the difference except no school and lots more money!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

My first thought was, "NFL draft? He won't even start for OSU next year." But looking at it your way. IF a team will draft you and you can make the mininum to sit on the bench, what's the difference except no school and lots more money!
well, being in an environment with folks making millions while you are "only" making $400k can present difficulty if one is not the disciplined sort.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

well, being in an environment with folks making millions while you are "only" making $400k can present difficulty if one is not the disciplined sort.
It's a calculated gamble. If he came back to college he might not play much next year and his stock could plummet. IF he doesn't like school and he's out of eligibility he'd have to do like the rest of us and go to work. Gasp!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.