Cardale Jones decides against entering NFL draft

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Cardale Jones entering NFL draft

The one he got in high school?
I'm thinking that he stopped paying attention in class before he reached HS. Did you read his quote from the presser? I get that athletes treat the English language differently, but he was really hard to follow, so poor is his grasp of the language.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
So he rides the bench for another year if Barrett doesn't get hurt...either his folks have money or somebody else is gonna be supporting his family for two more years, before he ever gets a "check".
This guy seems to have some issues, because I don't buy for a second he gives a flying crap about a diploma. There's something else going on....

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

No, actually I didn't. Anybody dumb enough to tweet what he did last fall doesn't need me hanging on their every word. Bama has had their share of those that you couldn't follow with both a standard and a "street" dictionary. I just don't understand the "much ado about nothing" presser. A little much, even in this day and age.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

I haven't looked at the QB's that will be entering the draft next year as seniors, or the ones who might go early. Maybe he thinks even riding the bench he would go higher than the others next year....? This is bizarre, hope it works out for him however he has it planned.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Well, talking to a few Buckeye friends, the reasoning is:
- He's 22, he's no kid
- speaking of which, he has a new baby
- He's never going to look better than he does right now
- Apparently there's zero chance Barrett isn't the starter when back from injury, so he's not going the starting next year
- Even if he goes 3rd day (initial projection), he's gonna make the league minimum ($400k-ish / year) to sit behind someone and learn. Same as college but he can support his family.

I actually think it's not a bad move. Make a good living to learn and in a few years, likely make a LOT of money. Dude has all the tools.

I agree, I don't blame him. He made a business decision.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

He should've gone pro. He's going to back up Barrett or Miller next year and lose any momentum going into the draft. Not a good business decision.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
No one leaves "The Ohio State University" early very often. There are sometimes very good reasons ($$$$$).
So he rides the bench for another year if Barrett doesn't get hurt...either his folks have money or somebody else is gonna be supporting his family for two more years, before he ever gets a "check".
This guy seems to have some issues, because I don't buy for a second he gives a flying crap about a diploma. There's something else going on....

B

BroadwayJoe777

Cardale will never be more popular or relevant than he is right now. He should have gone pro IMHO.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

I'm thinking that he stopped paying attention in class before he reached HS. Did you read his quote from the presser? I get that athletes treat the English language differently, but he was really hard to follow, so poor is his grasp of the language.
Is he in the Nick Marshall category?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Is he in the Nick Marshall category?
No idea about Marshall, but Jones said, ""that kind of money isn't as easy as you get in your lifetime as you might think".

What?

He also said that he was coming back to finish his degree. :biggrin:

Again, glad to have him back, but it would be great if he talked less.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Or maybe ATTENDED an english class? ;)
He was on Mike and Mike this morning. Handled himself very well with the same calm demeanor he showed on the football field. Gave direct answers and came across as a good kid. In the end, he said 48 hours wasn't enough time to make a decision as important as turning pro.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek

He was on Mike and Mike this morning. Handled himself very well with the same calm demeanor he showed on the football field. Gave direct answers and came across as a good kid. In the end, he said 48 hours wasn't enough time to make a decision as important as turning pro.
Good on him. I was just going off what was said on here. But how does he go from the "blabber" in his press conference to the "polished" responses on MnM?

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

I think he made a mistake. Should have went and got the money. Like some have said riding the bench and learning from the NFL with no classes would have accelerated his development. I hope he stays healthy and does not regret this decision.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.