Cardale Jones decides against entering NFL draft

Hooks4bama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2005
Montgomery
LINK 1
Link 2

Seems like an...odd decision. Only other analog I can think of would be Matt Cassell drafted having not started one game at USCw. Should be interesting.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Re: Cardale Jones entering NFL draft

Strike while the Iron is Hot!

My guess - the Raiders, the Jets, the Redskins, or the Vikings......am I forgetting any franchises that make historically bad decisions over the past 20 years?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Well, talking to a few Buckeye friends, the reasoning is:
- He's 22, he's no kid
- speaking of which, he has a new baby
- He's never going to look better than he does right now
- Apparently there's zero chance Barrett isn't the starter when back from injury, so he's not going the starting next year
- Even if he goes 3rd day (initial projection), he's gonna make the league minimum ($400k-ish / year) to sit behind someone and learn. Same as college but he can support his family.

I actually think it's not a bad move. Make a good living to learn and in a few years, likely make a LOT of money. Dude has all the tools.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Imagine the Steelers grabbing him late, paying him to learn behind Roethlisberger, then stepping in in the future.

He won't be taken as a starter, he's a project, but again - he has the tools.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

My guess is that "school" really wasn't for him!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

I had read maybe last week he was wanting to stay and get his degree, and I thought back to his tweet in October; no way this guy suddenly does a 180 on hating the classroom, not at his age. 22, won the only 3 games he ever played in (I think, I know the only 3 he started) and two of them weren't even close, on the biggest stage - I found it hard to believe there was even an inkling he would be returning. Go now, and that 2nd contract gets here quicker - if he makes it.
So how long does Miller have to make his decision to stay or transfer? Looks like he might stay now, if he doesn't that would be an interesting scenario - to go from three to one QB, all having the skills those three do.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

Someone will take a chance on him. And doesn't he have like a 3 day window to change his mind?
I do believe that there's too much risk in returning. If he doesn't jump now, he could potentially lose the starting job, get injured, or possibly even earn the starting job but not look as good next year when defenses have all offseason to prepare for him. Two months ago, he was looking at finishing off his career on the bench. Now, he wins the national championship and is headed to the NFL. Things can change on a dime.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

It's hard to imagine him possibly being ready for the NFL. On the other hand, how would you like it if you just won a national championship and weren't even the starter next year? Can't say I blame him.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

It's hard to imagine him possibly being ready for the NFL. On the other hand, how would you like it if you just won a national championship and weren't even the starter next year? Can't say I blame him.
And that's most likely exactly what would happen...

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ

Please no to Jets. I still have nightmares about Browning Nagle. Sure his Louisville team beat Bama, but he was a bust for the Gotham Green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

Please no to Jets. I still have nightmares about Browning Nagle. Sure his Louisville team beat Bama, but he was a bust for the Gotham Green.
I read somewhere that Stallings tanked that bowl game, spending all the practice time on getting the underclassmen ready for next year.

also I cannot find any article confirming that Jones has declared--the linked article only says that he is expected to ANNOUNCE today, and a tweet that he may be leaning toward the nfl.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Back to the subject. I think Jones isn't ready just yet. But given his situation, Why not... It could be a blessing for him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.