Where Things Stand -- January 15, 2015

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I would like to know how the coaching staff handles these guys. If the policy is "You shop, we shop," it has to be unsettling when a supposedly serious commit wants to go on visits to our rivals, especially this close to Signing Day.
Then, look at McMillon's quote, or how Blake Barnett became a recruiter himself, and it makes me question how committed these other guys really are.:conf2:
Re: "You shop, we shop," that's not really the policy and never has been for that matter. That was basically a one-time approach applied to pre-existing Shula commitments when Saban arrived in January of 2007, and it has been defunct since then.

Now, in terms of how the staff actually handles this sort of thing, in practice it's a balancing test that is applied separately on a case-by-case basis. The staff essentially has to juggle sincerity of commitment, other alternative prospects and likelihood of landing them, class size, depth needs, etc., and then make a hard decision on whether or not to risk a spot/another prospect if someone supposedly committed doesn't hold true to their word. It's a lot more art than science, and by no means a true formulaic approach. Fortunately, our staff has been better than most at this and we've done quite well, but even so you still get burned from time to time.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
@RivalsFriedman Hearing the same-RT @rivalsmike #Bama could be trending now for OT Isaiah Prince over #Terps & #Buckeyes @AndrewJBone
Word is we made room for him....which is great news.....

as of right now, I think we:

Lose: Custis
Keep: McGraw
Add: Prince and Charlot

That should leave us a swing spot for someone like Hill or Tega

Especially since we are denying OVs for guys like Davis, Guice, Ray Ray, etc.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
the visit is up in the air now....funny how quick things change.... I don't think we'd limit him to just RB. He'd be what Drake developed into this year.
I noticed someone said he was being recruited by Kiffin. RTR91 posted yesterday that Ray Ray would make an official visit this weekend, but before the day was over that was reversed.

Anybody have any idea what changed this guy's plan to visit Bama?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I noticed someone said he was being recruited by Kiffin. RTR91 posted yesterday that Ray Ray would make an official visit this weekend, but before the day was over that was reversed.

Anybody have any idea what changed this guy's plan to visit Bama?
we did....we don't have room

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Word is we made room for him....which is great news.....

as of right now, I think we:

Lose: Custis
Keep: McGraw
Add: Prince and Charlot

That should leave us a swing spot for someone like Hill or Tega

Especially since we are denying OVs for guys like Davis, Guice, Ray Ray, etc.
@RivalsFriedman Hearing the same-RT @rivalsmike #Bama could be trending now for OT Isaiah Prince over #Terps & #Buckeyes @AndrewJBone
just committed to us!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
FWIW, the below is from a free page on TiderInsider:

My thoughts as of this moment. All subject to change in the next 10 minutesCB Montrell Custis -- Out. To visit Ole Miss this weekend.

WR Daylon Charlot -- In

WR KJ Hill -- Alabama lean

OT Chidi Valentine-Okeke -- Alabama lean

OT Isaiah Prince -- In the mix. UA taking 2 OTs not out of the realm of possibility.

OT Drew Richmond -- OM extremely confident

TE Tyrone Wheatley -- In the mix

DB Rico McGraw -- This one could go back and forth over the next week or so. Earlier this week, Alabama was in stronger position than what has been posted on the internet. But, as we've warned for weeks, he's one to watch.

Others

Byron Cowart -- visit to UF this weekend big. Ryan Davis, his buddy, with him. FSU hiring Lawing could make a difference. Just a hunch here -- nothing more -- is that he doesn't up at Auburn.

CeCe Jefferson -- OM extremely confident as of last night. They hope he can deliver Holland. Feeling last night among neutral observers was CeCe would likely end up at OM or Florida.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think we get Charlot... and Hill... and if other players flip to another school, I would imagine we can go after the one that wants us but had no spots for them... That's why we have to continue to recuit even through there may not be spots...at the moment.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
To clarify, I suspect flip to teams that are not Alabama? If so, is one of them from the state of GA and the other from NJ? Or are we calling names?
the staff is confident about keeping McGraw.....he'd have to go against mom's wishes to go to UGA

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
I was thinking of Custis from GA who rumors seem to point to his not being with us . . . Hope you are right about McGraw!
What are the thoughts now on the one you eluded to earlier from NJ?

edit - Looked and there is a VIP 247 tidbit on him yesterday but I can't see it other than set on Tide, hopefully that is the case.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.