Follow the money for changes to Big 12

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
With 10 members, the Big 12 currently gives the largest distribution payouts to its members of any conference. Adding teams only makes the pie slices smaller, as the money pool wouldn't get bigger, but the number of hands reaching out for it would.

In a 10-team league, all teams play each other, meaning every Big 12 title game would be an inevitable rematch. The best team would likely have to beat the second-best team twice to win the conference championship.

That additional game might not bring enough revenue to make that risk seem worthwhile.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/01/where_will_college_football_he.html#incart_river

I wonder how they managed to pull down that much cash? With seven bowl team vs twelve for the SEC, they still managed to out earn us?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
With 10 members, the Big 12 currently gives the largest distribution payouts to its members of any conference. Adding teams only makes the pie slices smaller, as the money pool wouldn't get bigger, but the number of hands reaching out for it would.

In a 10-team league, all teams play each other, meaning every Big 12 title game would be an inevitable rematch. The best team would likely have to beat the second-best team twice to win the conference championship.

That additional game might not bring enough revenue to make that risk seem worthwhile.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/01/where_will_college_football_he.html#incart_river

I wonder how they managed to pull down that much cash? With seven bowl team vs twelve for the SEC, they still managed to out earn us?
I wondered that, too. I've been reading financial statements, reading and writing commentary on them, and sniffing out tap-dance wording for longer than I'd like to admit.

This article has that sort of phrasing all over it.

You'd have to get the writer to define every word. But I promise, if you did, and applied those definitions to the SEC's numbers, you'd get to the root of the question.

Bottom line for the Big 12-2 is that as long as they kowtow to UTw and allow them to get the lion's share of the distributions, they'll never attract a credible addition.

It's why Nebraska, aTm, and Missouri left.

And for the life of me, I don't understand why Oklahoma doesn't give them the Bronx cheer and leave. True, they need the state of Texas for recruiting. But with their name and tradition, I'll never see where they need the University of Texas.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wondered that, too. I've been reading financial statements, reading and writing commentary on them, and sniffing out tap-dance wording for longer than I'd like to admit.

This article has that sort of phrasing all over it.

You'd have to get the writer to define every word. But I promise, if you did, and applied those definitions to the SEC's numbers, you'd get to the root of the question.

Bottom line for the Big 12-2 is that as long as they kowtow to UTw and allow them to get the lion's share of the distributions, they'll never attract a credible addition.

It's why Nebraska, aTm, and Missouri left.

And for the life of me, I don't understand why Oklahoma doesn't give them the Bronx cheer and leave. True, they need the state of Texas for recruiting. But with their name and tradition, I'll never see where they need the University of Texas.
I'm afraid they may need the association even more, with A&M cutting into that TX recruiting base...

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999

My position on this is that I simply don't care. The rest of the Power 5 should require they go to at least 12 teams and a championship game, or tell them their teams won't be eligible for the playoff. It's sort of amazing that it's allowed now, to be honest. And if the other Power 5 conferences wanted to break away and form their own division, they'd bury the Big 12 eventually. The sport's power structure right now is changing, with the NCAA fading and the conferences becoming the bigger players. And as with any period of wholesale change, these are the times where some people will gain (or lose) much more than others. If the other four conferences don't rein in the Big 12 right now, it might not ever happen.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
My position on this is that I simply don't care. The rest of the Power 5 should require they go to at least 12 teams and a championship game, or tell them their teams won't be eligible for the playoff. It's sort of amazing that it's allowed now, to be honest. And if the other Power 5 conferences wanted to break away and form their own division, they'd bury the Big 12 eventually. The sport's power structure right now is changing, with the NCAA fading and the conferences becoming the bigger players. And as with any period of wholesale change, these are the times where some people will gain (or lose) much more than others. If the other four conferences don't rein in the Big 12 right now, it might not ever happen.
I second this.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Do you think some of this may have been at play with the playoff selection this year? It may be a reach to think the "selection committee" would do something like that; but then again . . .

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I can't believe the other Power 4 would agree to let B12 have a playoff with 10 teams and then get the 10 team split. That would give B12 a $$$ advantage.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I suspect the individual who wrote that article doesn't know what he's talking about. The Big 12 has unequal revenue sharing, and no network sharing, so how on earth can "the Big 12 currently gives the largest distribution payouts to its members of any conference"? I don't know, sounds like he made that up.

From what I understood, the last deal they negotiated paid the top teams in the Big 12 on par with the SEC (before the new SEC deal which pays out more!), and they cut Texas A&M in on that (the money seemed to be subsidized by the departure fees from the other schools). In other words, they had to stack unequal sharing on top of payments that won't keep rolling in, to temporarily match the SEC. There's a reason Texas A&M left.

So, to reiterate I don't think the guy who wrote the article has a clue what he's talking about.

Edit: Oh duh, he has to only be talking about the playoff money payout, which isn't that big a deal.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I suspect the individual who wrote that article doesn't know what he's talking about. The Big 12 has unequal revenue sharing, and no network sharing, so how on earth can "the Big 12 currently gives the largest distribution payouts to its members of any conference"? I don't know, sounds like he made that up.

From what I understood, the last deal they negotiated paid the top teams in the Big 12 on par with the SEC (before the new SEC deal which pays out more!), and they cut Texas A&M in on that (the money seemed to be subsidized by the departure fees from the other schools). In other words, they had to stack unequal sharing on top of payments that won't keep rolling in, to temporarily match the SEC. There's a reason Texas A&M left.

So, to reiterate I don't think the guy who wrote the article has a clue what he's talking about.

Edit: Oh duh, he has to only be talking about the playoff money payout, which isn't that big a deal.
I wondered if he meant playoff money. We had 12 teams and they had 7 teams. 7 out-earned 12?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I wondered if he meant playoff money. We had 12 teams and they had 7 teams. 7 out-earned 12?
It was a really poorly worded article from what I read. I followed his link and then it kind of made sense, because there is a flat payout which obviously is split more ways amongst the larger conferences. But, that's peanuts compared to what these conferences are actually making, and heck if they brought back a conference championship game that would make up for it...

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Do you think some of this may have been at play with the playoff selection this year? It may be a reach to think the "selection committee" would do something like that; but then again . . .
When I heard the committee chair tell the Big 12, "If they don't pick their champion (the Big 12 was trying to argue co-champs in the hopes the committee would include both in the final four), then we'll do it for them," I knew there was a message of some kind being sent.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
According to this, the Big 12 had a total of $58 million in bowl payout compared to the SEC's $87.5 million. Link
Good Lord. The Sun Belt sent three teams to bowls and got paid as much as the MWC who sent 8 teams to bowls?

Power 5 get 50 million bowl base. The Group of Five get 12 million. Notre Dame gets a SECRET split. Wow.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
100%

As long as we have a conference or a team (Notre Dame) eligible to qualify for the playoffs that are allowed to take advantage of playing a schedule with no conference championship game the playoff system is no better than the BCS or the polls. IMO there was really no reason to move away from the BCS unless you were going to institute a equitably structured system for qualifying with zero exceptions.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.