How will Trey DePriest do at the next level?

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
How well will he do at the next level in the NFL? Where in the draft will he be picked? Middle rounds somewhere? He seems like a Patriots type MLB.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Re: Trey DePriest

^^^^
I aplogize up front - at least somewhat - however, can we PLEASE put more info in thread titles than simply a persons' name? This sort of title tells us very little about the thread.

Please.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

^^^^
I aplogize up front - at least somewhat - however, can we PLEASE put more info in thread titles than simply a persons' name? This sort of title tells us very little about the thread.

Please.
Do you think he'll do well at the next level?

Zaiva

1st Team
Feb 27, 2013

I think he will do ok. I don't think he's a good enough to be a 3 down LB in the NFL. He's not that great in coverage either.

Last edited:

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
How well will he do at the next level in the NFL? Where in the draft will he be picked? Middle rounds somewhere? He seems like a Patriots type MLB.
I don't see him being a high pick. He lacks the quickness to be a three-down LB and will need to play MLB on first and second downs. I believe fourth round (similar to where Nico Johnson got picked) will be where he ends up, as a best-case scenario.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Has he got a next level? Maybe if there's a next level for calling defensive signals whilst not being "too" integral to the defensive scheme. Far worse linebackers from Ohio (namely one who will go unnamed) have made so-called NFL careers out of just that.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not an avid NFL watcher anymore, but it seems that dropping into coverage is a very common call for line backers in the NFL now. That could pose problem for DePriest...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm not an avid NFL watcher anymore, but it seems that dropping into coverage is a very common call for line backers in the NFL now. That could pose problem for DePriest...
Personally, and I'm not trying to "hate on" Trey. But IMO he's too big and slow to be an every down LB in the NFL. He may find a spot on running downs but just watching him this year he looked like he was a biscuit or two away from having his hand in the dirt.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
Just can't see a team taking him, I would think he'll go as an Un-drafted Free Agent...
Personally I saw him as one of the biggest disappointments from the 2014 season.. More than a few times saw him overrun and take himself out of plays.

All that spoke volumes to me about the coaching/learning curve of the rest of the LB corps, which is also why I'm not upset about certain coaches finding employment elsewhere.. If I saw this I would guarantee that HC Saban saw the same things in the films..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He needs to have a really good combine, and he needs to be able to help on special teams. As other have suggested, the LB position in the NFL is changing. He is not what most teams are looking for. But McClain learned to drop back in coverage, so it is certainly possible that he can improve at the next level.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
Personally, and I'm not trying to "hate on" Trey. But IMO he's too big and slow to be an every down LB in the NFL. He may find a spot on running downs but just watching him this year he looked like he was a biscuit or two away from having his hand in the dirt.
Agreed, good kid, hard worker, way too slow, hes almost too slow for college, Late rounder to free agent in my opinion, but hey when guys like Akili Smith and some of the other busts can be first rounders then anybodys got a chance. I think he'll be used on run downs and special teams...hopefully.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
He needs to have a really good combine, and he needs to be able to help on special teams. As other have suggested, the LB position in the NFL is changing. He is not what most teams are looking for. But McClain learned to drop back in coverage, so it is certainly possible that he can improve at the next level.
I'm not sure that's the greatest of comparisons. Ro is physical freak that has a different body frame and different set of athleticism than Trey. Ro is a true sideline and to sideline player where as I'm not sure Trey has the physical ability to turn into that. But I've been wrong before. I hope he is able to though.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I'm not sure that Trey has NFL ability. I figure if he is drafted it will be in a late round and he is a career backup LB at best.
There's really no such thing in the NFL as a career backup for his position because teams are working against the salary cap and would have to pay even a marginal player veteran's scale based on their service. And teams have been quick to distance themselves from this situation, especially at LB, by rotating undrafted free agents in and out every couple years.

A backup with special teams capabilities - which DePriest ain't got (unless the NFL required five or six of each team's games to be played in the Mud Bowl for throwback appeal) - could stick around for 7-8 years. Don't see it happening with DePriest, but then again there may still be that fixation by the league on overrated Ohio linebackers: the unnamed one I didn't name above is 10 years in the league (picked not in the fifth round but fifth overall in the 2006 draft) and still hanging on, even though the joke is he's so bad that he pays Green Bay to keep him on the roster. So miracles - or maybe that's travesties - do happen sometimes with what our own eyes see insofar as "unabled" prospects..

Last edited:

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
He will get drafted. He did what we asked him to do in our scheme. It may have been coaching more than anything else. I think he will do well on the next level. He was highly rated coming out of high school. Maybe a 5 star by some. He would not have started for us if he were not immensely talented.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I've always really liked DePriest but he seemed 'off' this year. I don't know if he had injuries or not but he seemed a step or 2 slower than his earlier seasons plus took bad angles on plays. He looked a little chunky too. He might need to lose a little weight and get some speed back. Right now I don't see him being an NFL starter...unfortunately because I do like the kid.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I've always really liked DePriest but he seemed 'off' this year. I don't know if he had injuries or not but he seemed a step or 2 slower than his earlier seasons plus took bad angles on plays. He looked a little chunky too. He might need to lose a little weight and get some speed back. Right now I don't see him being an NFL starter...unfortunately because I do like the kid.
This is what I noticed this season. There were a few close up camera shots of him on the field this season (CBS Broadcasts I believe) and he looked overweight. But they say the camera adds 10 lbs. :biggrin2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.