Lack of Diversity in Oscar Nominations

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I'm sure most of you have already heard the criticisms flowing from the lack of diversity in this year's Oscar nominations, so I'm not going to post one of the myriad of articles available on the web. However, I am going to share a response from one of the members of the Academy -- it's pretty funny:

http://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2015/01/15/sharpton-calls-me-racist/?singlepage=true

Maybe it’s actually a badge of honor — after all Sharpton himself makes Bull Connor seem like Martin Luther King — but the Rev Al has called me a racist because I am one of those (white!) Academy members who did not vote for Selma as an Oscar nominee. I cannot tell a lie. He’s right. Not only that, I did not vote for the movie for screenplay either, the only other category for which I can nominate, since I am in the writers branch.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm a firm believer that the white shame/guilt game is in it's last stages of being tolerated by a lot of Caucasians. There comes a point where people get a belly full of something and they've had enough. This is where we're headed with this little dog and pony show.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm a firm believer that the white shame/guilt game is in it's last stages of being tolerated by a lot of Caucasians. There comes a point where people get a belly full of something and they've had enough. This is where we're headed with this little dog and pony show.
maybe the caucasians should come together and form a group to communicate their grievances

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't even sit there and count up how many blacks and whites and Latinos and Native Americans and blind folks get nominations.

So maybe I'm a whole lot further along in developing my diversity than the poverty pimps who focus on such things all the while professing to advocate diversity.

The simple truth is this: the election of a black President brought about the final stage of white guilt. Almost half the white folks in the country voted for him the first time - and yet the guy has no time to do some of the important things but ALWAYS manages to weigh in on the latest black-white thing and AMAZINGLY ENOUGH he has NEVER come down on the side of the white guy at the expense of the black one.

Quite frankly, white America learned there's still going to be a lot of this (pardon the pun) emotional blackmail and as we get more and more people who were born long after the civil rights movement and had not a thing to do with fire hosing blacks or killing them - the appeal loses its effect.

And you know what is amazing - MOST whites and blacks get along with each other nowadays anyway even when they strenuously disagree on things. There HAS been positive change in my own life in interactions with blacks as years go by on both sides. Unfortunately, the media rabble rousers like Sharpton get the ink and play the same old game.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Begin blue font
Cry me a river. I felt the same way when we all knew no other films stood any chance against "12 Years a Slave" would dominate almost every major category. I guess in the 11 months since then the same group became a bunch of racists.
End blue font

Next year watch the hell that unfolds when "13 Centuries a Jihadi" gets snubbed ;)

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
maybe the caucasians should come together and form a group to communicate their grievances
This sounds like a fantastic idea, but I don't want society to know that I'm involved in that group, for fear of my job security, public ridicule, or loss of respect. So I'll wear my bedsheets over my head. No one can shame me for white guilt if they don't know who I am. /blue font

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And since gay people are 10% of the population* shouldn't 10% of the films nominated be pro-gay films?

* - the number is much lower but I'll play along just to make the mocking point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.