Prepare for another unpredictable season

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Urban Meyer's 2014 team was young, and many said "one year away" from being able to win it all.

But the Buckeyes improved exponentially from Sept. 6, 2014, when they lost to the Hookies by two touchdowns at home, to Jan. 12, 2015, when they beat the Ducks, 42-20, to win the first title of the playoff era.

News flash: there is no "one year away" anymore.

When you think you have the pieces in place to win a title, you don't get 24 months to develop it. By that time, a key piece - or five - could be sitting on an NFL roster.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/01/live_at_9_with_natalie_pierre_1.html#incart_river

I agree with that statement. Cam came into the SEC and won it all. tOSU plays a raw untested QB and they win it all. It is a new game they are playing. Untested starters can win and that is why I expect Alabama to be in the Playoff again this year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The addition of "play ready" true freshman and Juco transfer really has changed the ability for a team to come out of nowhere to do this.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The addition of "play ready" true freshman and Juco transfer really has changed the ability for a team to come out of nowhere to do this.
Yeah, I can remember when schools had freshmen teams who played three or four other freshmen teams each year. They were not even allowed on the sidelines with the Sophs, Jrs and Srs, were they?

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Yeah, I can remember when schools had freshmen teams who played three or four other freshmen teams each year. They were not even allowed on the sidelines with the Sophs, Jrs and Srs, were they?
Yep I think the Barn beat us many years in the JV games during Coach Bryants' 10 year run over their butts.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
You are correct. In those days there was no recruiting services, you got what little information there was from the newspaper and a little from the local news @6. Used to watch the freshmen games at Denny Stadium in the afternoon for free. They did not dress out or allowed on the sidelines on game day. Enjoyed those days.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree, but it won't be with a freshman QB.
It'll happen sometime, somewhere. These guys are just more ready to play now than they ever have been.

I know there have been true freshman to play qb decently...but I can't remember one who became an instant star...but it's bound to happen...sometime, somewhere. In time probably even at Bama.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
It'll happen sometime, somewhere. These guys are just more ready to play now than they ever have been.

I know there have been true freshman to play qb decently...but I can't remember one who became an instant star...but it's bound to happen...sometime, somewhere. In time probably even at Bama.
Braxton Miller was the Big 10+ Freshman of the Year as a true frosh at tOSU. Pretty darned close to being a star as a freshman.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

With our penchant, at least of late, for presenting QB`s with an opportunity to " burst upon the scene and have a career day" ,we may well be a star maker for some Freshman someday.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

What I should have said is I don't believe it will happen at Bama until Coach retires.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.