Paterno to get his 111 vacated wins restored

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Since all we did was play a player that signed a napkin and had a few kids sell their textbooks, maybe we should get our wins restored as well. Compare the two programs and that would be a no brainer. The crimes don't even come close to being the same.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Any time you defend Penn State, the football team or Joe Pa you are going to be assailed as some kind of pervert. However you feel about all that should not replace logic and common sense. Joe Pa DID WIN all those games. To say he did not is foolish. Just as Alabama DID WIN all those games the NCAA took away because of textbookgate. To say we did not is foolish.

Tearing down the statue is another matter. It had nothing to do with winning or losing. The people who put the statue up have every right to tear it down if they want to.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Nick Saban has more vacated wins than Joe Paterno. Disgusting.

But I agree with everyone who will say that vacating wins is stupid to begin with. This is where the stupid and disgusting meet.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Nick Saban has more vacated wins than Joe Paterno. Disgusting.

But I agree with everyone who will say that vacating wins is stupid to begin with. This is where the stupid and disgusting meet.
Not in this particular case. It's pretty obvious that Paterno sacrificed his integrity--not to mention the lives of Sandusky's victims--in pursuit of wins, specifically in pursuit of the all-time win record. So it's not stupid, but instead highly appropriate, that losing those wins be part of the punishment.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Not in this particular case. It's pretty obvious that Paterno sacrificed his integrity--not to mention the lives of Sandusky's victims--in pursuit of wins, specifically in pursuit of the all-time win record. So it's not stupid, but instead highly appropriate, that losing those wins be part of the punishment.
Agreed. He should've been tried in a court of law. If he didn't know, it was his job to know what was going on in those football camps ran by his assistants.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Never cared about the wins. This was never a football issue - it was a legal issue. The involvement of football staff does not change that. Making it a football issue allowed Penn State to survive as an institution. Therein was the mistake.

Many innocent people suffered (and are still suffering today) because of the actions taken by this institution. All of those who are so ready to forgive and forget what happened at Penn State should remember that - those kids had their lives damaged permanently. How must they feel to see that their story is already forgotten? Does anyone really care about them? Did anyone ever really care about them?

IMO, the school should have lost its accreditation and been shut down.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
The fact that the NCAA can just say, "Remember that vacating thing? Well, I guess we changed our minds," and *BAM* the wins are back! That is why vacating wins is stupid to begin with, IMO. It's a punishment in name only. I'd rather the NCAA just erase Joe Paterno (and other accomplices') name(s) from the history and record books completely.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
It wasn't just the football program and the school administration that turned a blind eye to what was going on. There were plenty of people in the community and PSU "family" that knew what was going on.

I do agree that vacating any schools wins, or restoring them, means nothing.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This is a joke, but it follows what has been happening at FSU as well. The truth is covering up for a rapist really might be worth it, if all you care about is the football team...

Just in case anyone is confused about this issue, when Penn State (and Paterno) first became aware of what Sandusky had been up to, they waited until after the football season was over to quietly dismiss him. You heard that right, he was raping children, but let's wait until the season is over before we take even that wholly inadequate step.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Ludicrous, Absurd, Ridiculous, whatever adjective you would like to use, that is what the ncaa is.

The mere vacation/un-vacation of wins may seem like a small detail in the grand scheme, and it is. And I've said it was a stupid form of "punishment" in the first place. But if they are going to take this step, then they need to do so for every other institution. Legal matter/ncaa matter or not, the fact remains that Joe Paterno sheltered a child rapist. Penn State sheltered a child rapist. FOR DECADES. Extra textbooks doesn't even enter the same realm of heinous. Paying players doesn't even enter the same realm. Tattoos? Not even close.

This is disgusting on every level. I agree, the school should have been shut down. Oh but what of the economic impact? What an absurd thing to consider.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Never cared about the wins. This was never a football issue - it was a legal issue. The involvement of football staff does not change that. Making it a football issue allowed Penn State to survive as an institution. Therein was the mistake.

Many innocent people suffered (and are still suffering today) because of the actions taken by this institution. All of those who are so ready to forgive and forget what happened at Penn State should remember that - those kids had their lives damaged permanently. How must they feel to see that their story is already forgotten? Does anyone really care about them? Did anyone ever really care about them?

IMO, the school should have lost its accreditation and been shut down.
I mostly agree with you although I don't think the school should have been shutdown. There still were a LOT more innocent people that would have been affected by that action just to punish a few. But I do agree that it was a legal issue more than a football issue.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
This current version of college football is not what I grew up loving to follow. Almost more scandals and disgusting situations than there are things to cheer for.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.