Game Thread: ****Official Game Thread - Bama vs. UK****

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
We clearly weren't the better team, but we made it easy for them. It didn't help that Uk got their usual home court officiating even on our court. I think they were called for a total of 13 fouls for the game.
We simply didn't compete or more to the point, we weren't close in talent. I honestly don't expect us to be comparable in talent, but we are not in the same universe. It appears CAG has gone back to his comfort zone with the same problems on offense we had last year.
Looks like Leonard Hamilton will be available after FSU fires him this year.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
This was the outcome I expected. It was like when my son was 5 and we played in the driveway, I could do whatever I really wanted and he could do whatever I'd let him. I thought the guys played hard, most of the time, and I was proud of the rally at the start of the second half. As has been the case since Wimp roamed our sideline, Kentucky has basketball players and we have athletes that play basketball - it's just not the same.

BigA

Scout Team
Dec 21, 2013
Trussville, Al
As I sat in the stands at the game today I thought a number of things...1) how great it would be to have a full house at most games and what an atmosphere it was today, 2) watching how overmatched we were to our conference's elite team, and 3) how far we have fallen over the years. Candidly, we as fans deserve more. The team did their best, but very disappointing. And to think we have to play these guys again shortly.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
It is sad to see the state of the program. Kentucky has always been very good, but we used to put a good fight and win a few. The fact that we have lost the last 20 games vs AP Top 25 teams is unacceptable.

What bothers me more than this loss is losing to a team like South Carolina. That's the game we should've had.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
It is sad to see the state of the program. Kentucky has always been very good, but we used to put a good fight and win a few. The fact that we have lost the last 20 games vs AP Top 25 teams is unacceptable.

What bothers me more than this loss is losing to a team like South Carolina. That's the game we should've had.
I always like the posts that end with "unacceptable" as if we have a say in what is and isn't acceptable. To a point fans do with buying tickets, but then all support for the team would be withheld. To me that is not acceptable because our players deserve our support whether we like the Coach or not.

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
From what I saw via DVR [work Saturday], Kentucky simply out-personelled us; something they can do to almost any team not in the NBA. How scary would that team be with Poythress not out with an injury?

Props to our guys for fighting back until foul trouble took our semi-bigs out of the game. Not an embarassment to get beat by all that large blue talent.

Also, let's not lose sight that we are historically the second winning program in the SEC. I could live with being better than Florida, Tennessee, Mizzou, etc on an ongoing basis. Kentucky is simply better than the rest and is likely to remain so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_NCAA_Division_I_men's_college_basketball

Can Grant and co. get us there? Hope so! It seems to depend on beating the not-Kentuckys, which we haven't done so well lately.

Last edited:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

We're still putting up a good fight and "winning a few." Most likely at the same rate we've always beaten UK. In Grant's tenure, here are our games vs. the Wildcats:

2010 L 55-66 @ UK
2010 L 67-73 in SEC Tourney
2011 W 68-66 in Tusc
2011 L 58-72 in SEC Tourney
2012 L 71-77 @ UK
2013 W 59-55 in Tusc
2014 L 48-55 @ UK
2015 L 48-70 in Tusc

Yesterday notwithstanding, most of those games have been competitive. I doubt many of us were aware that we'd lost 20 in a row to ranked teams until Cecil's tweet. Is it that the streak reached 20 that makes it unacceptable? Shouldn't it have been equally unacceptable at 15 or 10?

I blame Donovan and Florida for a large part of this dissention among our fans. Until the Gators (a football school) won 2 NC's in hoops, no one was all that bothered by us being the second best basketball program in the conference and making semi-frequent trips to post season play.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
We're still putting up a good fight and "winning a few." Most likely at the same rate we've always beaten UK. In Grant's tenure, here are our games vs. the Wildcats:

2010 L 55-66 @ UK
2010 L 67-73 in SEC Tourney
2011 W 68-66 in Tusc
2011 L 58-72 in SEC Tourney
2012 L 71-77 @ UK
2013 W 59-55 in Tusc
2014 L 48-55 @ UK
2015 L 48-70 in Tusc

Yesterday notwithstanding, most of those games have been competitive. I doubt many of us were aware that we'd lost 20 in a row to ranked teams until Cecil's tweet. Is it that the streak reached 20 that makes it unacceptable? Shouldn't it have been equally unacceptable at 15 or 10?

I blame Donovan and Florida for a large part of this dissention among our fans. Until the Gators (a football school) won 2 NC's in hoops, no one was all that bothered by us being the second best basketball program in the conference and making semi-frequent trips to post season play.
The fact is the question is not just if Grant is going to get it done this year, Can he be successful year in year out?

I honestly hoped we'd play better and they would not play to their potential which would give a chance to win. The game unfortunately was never in doubt. I heard Stewart say on his radio show we might loose 3 of the next 4, but we'd make the tourney. I am not so sure. He also said if Grant didn't make the tourney he is done indicating that CBB has given him an ultimatum make the Tourney or else. Cecil Hurt has long since given up on Grant. Read his tweets and columns on basketball. He has done everything short of calling for a new coach.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
UK is to college basketball what Bama is to college football. Let's see...you get the best players, coach 'em up, and when they play well they're practically unbeatable. Sound familiar?

The only chance we had to upset UK was if they played a bad game and we played an almost perfect game...well, they didn't play a bad game and we were far,far from perfect. They shot six footers and dunk shots while we were shooting 23 footers, especially at the beginning when they built up the lead.They pounded us on the boards getting several offensive rebounds while we were mostly one and done. Toss in our unforced TO's (many at key times it seemed) and their three point shooting ( especially in the second half) and large margin of defeat was not surprising.

While our next game ar Arkansas is winnable, we'll need to play much better or we'll get pounded again. RTR

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
I always like the posts that end with "unacceptable" as if we have a say in what is and isn't acceptable. To a point fans do with buying tickets, but then all support for the team would be withheld. To me that is not acceptable because our players deserve our support whether we like the Coach or not.
I would've quit following the team long ago, if my support depended on the coach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.