Game Thread: ****Official Game Thread - Bama vs. UK****

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Question for those that know more about basketball than me, when I played in high school eons ago we were taught on defense to get between the ball and player we were guarding and deny the pass. Why are our big men playing behind the UK big men and allowing them to get the pass down low? That is an automatic foul or two points when we do that.
We don't have the size. They hav too much length on us

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Question for those that know more about basketball than me, when I played in high school eons ago we were taught on defense to get between the ball and player we were guarding and deny the pass. Why are our big men playing behind the UK big men and allowing them to get the pass down low? That is an automatic foul or two points when we do that.
Because you never turn your back on the ball in the post and if we "front" the post player which is taller the ball can easily be lobbed over your head.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Because you never turn your back on the ball in the post and if we "front" the post player which is taller the ball can easily be lobbed over your head.
I'm not of the exact terminology but when I played we didn't turn our back on the ball. We faced the ball and kept the guy we were guarding behind us.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I'm not of the exact terminology but when I played we didn't turn our back on the ball. We faced the ball and kept the guy we were guarding behind us.
That is "fronting" the post. Unless you double, it's an easy lob over your head to a taller player and you have to have weak side help.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I have attended home games for many years. Does anyone know what was our worst loss in Coleman? This has to be close.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I'll repeat this. The only team in the NBA that's taller than Kentucky is the Portland Trailblazers.
I'm not talking about 6'5" guarding 7'0" I'm talking about 6'10" guarding 7'0". That isn't that big of a difference and when you are athletic it should be tough to pass over the defender. I'm not trying to argue, I just don't understand the logic of playing behind and allowing the pass in down low. Is it for rebounding purposes? You are in better position to box out if the shot is missed?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I'm not talking about 6'5" guarding 7'0" I'm talking about 6'10" guarding 7'0". That isn't that big of a difference and when you are athletic it should be tough to pass over the defender. I'm not trying to argue, I just don't understand the logic of playing behind and allowing the pass in down low. Is it for rebounding purposes? You are in better position to box out if the shot is missed?
It's about wingspan. And vertical hops!

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I know- he has just completely lost any shooting touch. And plays little defense. I will be quiet before i am warned by the mods for being negative.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.