Lane Kiffin Confirms Return to Alabama

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Re: Lane Kiffin a candidate for 49ers OC job

Nah, Tomsula will do well. He is the most loved coach on the 49ers. Players will play hard for him. All he needs is a good OC, his defense should be good. I've been a fan of his for a while now, I hope he does very well. BLUDGEON!!!!
I hope you're right. I have two cousins who grew up in the Bay area (Walnut Creek) that are big 49er fans. For their sake, I hope he's a success.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I think the "rumor" has some wings because he never moved his family to Tuscaloosa. This was always going to be short stay for Kiffin but I assumed that it would be for 2 seasons.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Hope CNS has somebody in mind for OC. New QB and looks like we will have a new OC also..

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010

was reading the Washington post online, and their sports stated that adam shafter espon had stated that lane kiffin is the leader in the off coord job. strange I haven't seen where lane had even interviewed for the job. it seems strange to me that nusmeir left for Michigan, and that now new fla coach and ex off cord at bama sees nus and picked him as flas new off cord. is there some dischord going on with coach saban and his coaches when they don't win big games?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

It seems like the last time we discussed Kiffin possibly leaving after one year, some posters were quick to point out Saban has a "two year commitment" requirement with the assistants he brings in.

I'm not sure why Kiffin's name would come up now, or why he doesn't shoot the rumor down. Maybe he just hasn't had time to issue an "I'm not interested in leaving Bama after just one season" statement.

I can't imagine Saban would force him out now as somebody suggested, but also I can't imagine him telling Saban to forget the two year stuff and find a replacement for him, he's gone.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

was reading the Washington post online, and their sports stated that adam shafter espon had stated that lane kiffin is the leader in the off coord job. strange I haven't seen where lane had even interviewed for the job. it seems strange to me that nusmeir left for Michigan, and that now new fla coach and ex off cord at bama sees nus and picked him as flas new off cord. is there some dischord going on with coach saban and his coaches when they don't win big games?
As others have said, CLK never moved his family to Alabama. This was gonna be a brisk stay for him regardless of wins and losses..

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Why leave for the trainwreck that the 49ers are likely to become? Kiffin is in a solid situation, rebuilding a reputation, and oh-by-the-way getting a healthy paycheck. Hope he is here for at least a couple years more.

That said, if he goes, thanks for a good year with the Tide, Lane . . .

Next!

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Why leave for the trainwreck that the 49ers are likely to become? Kiffin is in a solid situation, rebuilding a reputation, and oh-by-the-way getting a healthy paycheck. Hope he is here for at least a couple years more.

That said, if he goes, thanks for a good year with the Tide, Lane . . . Next!
He's actually one of the lowest paid OC's at ~$600K. It's not about the money to him because of the termination moneies he got from Oakland and USCw when they fired him..

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

As others have said, CLK never moved his family to Alabama. This was gonna be a brisk stay for him regardless of wins and losses..
I found this quote from Saban when he announced Kiffin's hire:

We are excited to have Lane join our staff,” said Alabama head coach Nick Saban in a statement released by the university. “He is an outstanding and creative offensive coach who has great experience both at the college and NFL level. He has a very good understanding of the game and I have always been impressed with what I saw in the games he called. He coaches with a great deal of passion and enthusiasm, and also does an excellent job as a teacher. Lane will be an outstanding addition to our coaching staff and we look forward to him and his family joining us at the University of Alabama.”
http://news.tidefans.com/2014/01/10/kiffin-hired-as-alabama-offensive-coordinator/

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I too would like for Kiffin to stay, but IMO he is ultimately an NFL coach at some level. And as many have said he is a west coast guy. Whether this move happens or not he is not a long term commitment for Alabama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.