Lane Kiffin Confirms Return to Alabama

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Re: Lane Kiffin a candidate for 49ers OC job

Just because Saban said in a statement that he looked forward to him and his family coming to Alabama doesn't mean it happened.
I understand that.
You asked why Lane might be leaving and several pretty good reasons were given in response..
I also understand that.

My confusion was because I had thought Kiffin and Saban had a two year agreement. That could have been just a rumor, or perhaps he's not leaving.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I seem to recall that I was told that Layla remained on the west coast and the family never moved to Tuscaloosa. IIRC Lane and Lance Thompson were sharing a house.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I understand that.

I also understand that.
I guess the main question I had was: What about the agreement between Saban & Kiffin that he would stay a minimum of two years? Was that just a rumor?

Maybe he's not gone, but then I'm back to waiting for Kiffin to say he's not interested in leaving.
The signs ATM point towards him leaving. And that 2 year agreement between him and CNS isn't binding in any way. More like a gentleman's agreement. At the end of the day Lane is going to do what he feels is best for himself, not what's best for Saban or Alabama..

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

The signs ATM point towards him leaving. And that 2 year agreement between him and CNS isn't binding in any way. More like a gentleman's agreement. At the end of the day Lane is going to do what he feels is best for himself, not what's best for Saban or Alabama..
I would sincerely hope when we hired Kiffin, the term he would stay wasn't left up to a non-binding "gentleman's agreement." His contract surely addressed how long he was agreeing to stay when he signed it.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I would sincerely hope when we hired Kiffin, the term he would stay wasn't left up to a non-binding "gentleman's agreement." His contract surely addressed how long he was agreeing to stay when he signed it.
Lane may owe the university money if he wants to leave, but Alabama or Saban can't force him to stay over an agreement or anything in his contract. That's just not how it works..

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

You can't make coaches feel like a hostage. Sure, they can have some contractual language to encourage staying but you're not getting good coaches by holding them at gunpoint.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Saban hiring Kiffin rehabilitated Kiffin's career. My argument is that if Kiffin signed a contract or gave his word to stick around two years when he came on board, he owes it to Saban to keep his word.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I dare say Lane Kiffin needed Alabama more than Alabama needed Lane Kiffin. We'll be fine whether he stays or goes. Regardless of what happens, I just want to see more consistency in the offense.

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN

We will indeed be fine either way, but it sure would be nice to have him for just one more year.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

The Kiffin family does live in California, and that's really the only factor that concerns me. If he was rumored to be the Jets top pick I wouldn't think twice about it. But the 49ers is a whole 'nother ball game. Hope he stays!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Found this blurb from AlabamaIntel
I'm always a bit skeptical of anything from that site, but the numbers are probably correct. As has been noted above, signing a contract doesn't make one a slave. They can always be broken, if one is willing to pay the damages...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.