Lane Kiffin Confirms Return to Alabama

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Lane Kiffin a candidate for 49ers OC job

Schefter does good work, but he is a good victim for someone wanting to float a story for their own leverage.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Kiffin and 49ners not a good fit. New coach wants to ground and pound.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...age-makes-him-strange-o-c-candidate-for-49ers
While I don't think Kiffin is leaving for the job (I think he is happy here for now), there is no evidence that the new coach wants to "ground and pound". It doesn't mention it in the blog article you posted (says personnel more suited for it), the coach has never said that, and the other top candidates (Chud and Tressman) are both known to throw the ball a lot.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

The thread says he is a candidate...not that he is considering/leaving/wanting the job. The ESPN story cites sources to Adam Schefter (one of the MOST reliable NFL insiders) that they have interest in him. That, to me, is the discussion. No one has said he was leaving, afaik, just discussing the story.
I think I'll tweet Sheftie and tell him that I'm extremely interested in Kate Upton. Maybe he'll report that she is a leading candidate for my next wife! ;)

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

I think I'll tweet Sheftie and tell him that I'm extremely interested in Kate Upton. Maybe he'll report that she is a leading candidate for my next wife! ;)
Hey...you are entitled to put her at the top of your list! Now, let's see if you can work out a deal with her agent!

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Why would Kiffin need a raise, he is getting plenty of money from USC and perhaps the Raiders? If UA bumps his salary up to $1 million, his take home pay doesn't change because it's still less than what he is getting from USC, no?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I've been trying to figure that out....
Why would Kiffin need a raise, he is getting plenty of money from USC and perhaps the Raiders? If UA bumps his salary up to $1 million, his take home pay doesn't change because it's still less than what he is getting from USC, no?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

His Contact detail is:

-- Compensation: $680,000 for the first two years and $714,000 for the third year.-- Length: Three years.
-- UA will pay for a country club membership at North River Yacht Club.
Kiffin's pay in the first two years of the contract mirror the salary Doug Nussmeier made last season as offensive coordinator.
So, if they offered him 20 million/5 years contract in 2010 by USC... Which means he's in the last year of USC owing him 4 million dollar.. I suspect He wants more incentives... That's why This whole thing doesn't make sense... This 49ers job doesn't make sense... If Kiffin wanted to go back to NFL, he could've asked his agent to put in feelers.. He could've landed several interviews... This rumor of Falcons.. and then 49ers... something isn't right. Kiffin Truly sounds to be excited to come back for next year.. I really think it has to do something with his personal life....
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/06/see_details_lane_kiffins_emplo.html

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I hope he stays. If he decides that this is right for his family then he should do what is right for them. I have no problems with coaches breaking contracts anymore since universities don't have any loyalty to contracts and sometimes fire at will. Do what's best for you Lane and if you leave, thanks for a great year!
this

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

I'm mixed. He did a great job with Blake Sims but I would mind getting back to a run first offense.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

While I don't think Kiffin is leaving for the job (I think he is happy here for now), there is no evidence that the new coach wants to "ground and pound". It doesn't mention it in the blog article you posted (says personnel more suited for it), the coach has never said that, and the other top candidates (Chud and Tressman) are both known to throw the ball a lot.
No, but it was mentioned in another article that he wants to have a strong ground game. I don't believe Kiffin is leaving either. This is what Inman recently said about Tomsula. "An affinity to run the football and watch linemen smash defenders into oblivion is about the extent of Jim Tomsula's known offensive philosophy." I don't know who will be chosen and frankly I don't care as long as it isn't Kiffin.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

His Contact detail is:

-- Compensation: $680,000 for the first two years and $714,000 for the third year.-- Length: Three years.
-- UA will pay for a country club membership at North River Yacht Club.
Kiffin's pay in the first two years of the contract mirror the salary Doug Nussmeier made last season as offensive coordinator.
So, if they offered him 20 million/5 years contract in 2010 by USC... Which means he's in the last year of USC owing him 4 million dollar.. I suspect He wants more incentives... That's why This whole thing doesn't make sense... This 49ers job doesn't make sense... If Kiffin wanted to go back to NFL, he could've asked his agent to put in feelers.. He could've landed several interviews... This rumor of Falcons.. and then 49ers... something isn't right. Kiffin Truly sounds to be excited to come back for next year.. I really think it has to do something with his personal life....
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/06/see_details_lane_kiffins_emplo.html

what Falcons rumor? I live in Atlanta and haven't heard any rumor. The Falcons don't even have a head coach right now.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

The Falcons hired Kyle Shanahan as OC today, so it doesn't matter anyway.
did not realize that had already happened. i knew they were thinking about it. I really don't understand the NFL at all. Hire a OC before you hire a head coach? unless they know for a fact who they are going to get and that was his choice.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I dont either, it is assumed that Dan Quinn will take over the team after the Super Bowl. He and Kyle are a package deal.
did not realize that had already happened. i knew they were thinking about it. I really don't understand the NFL at all. Hire a OC before you hire a head coach? unless they know for a fact who they are going to get and that was his choice.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

If the new coach wants Ground and Pound, then he is better off with Rod chuzainki ( Can't spell his name)
No, but it was mentioned in another article that he wants to have a strong ground game. I don't believe Kiffin is leaving either.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.