Lane Kiffin Confirms Return to Alabama

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Re: Lane Kiffin a candidate for 49ers OC job

did not realize that had already happened. i knew they were thinking about it. I really don't understand the NFL at all. Hire a OC before you hire a head coach? unless they know for a fact who they are going to get and that was his choice.
That seems to be the case. They are saying Shanahan and Quinn are a done deal, but they just have to wait until the season ends for Seattle. Supposedly, Shanahan and Quinn have a prior connection.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

IF I was Kiffin, I would stay one more year... Show everyone that he has " matured" and He will be hot commodity for College and NFL Jobs as HC. Plus it will buy Saban a year to find his replacement... both party wins.

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama

Everybody that does not pull for the TIDE, just wants kiffin gone. !!!! And everybody is hoping he does leave. They think that if all the coach's leave that bama will fall apart and they don't want the tide even sniffing the playoff discussion next year.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I would be very surprised if Kiffin jumped ship. I think if he did it would prove (at least in my eyes) that he hasn't really matured that much and isn't interested in "repairing" his image. Leaving after only one year to go be an offensive coordinator for the niners makes zero sense at putting him back on track for a heading coaching job. Going to Alabama to work under Saban does.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I don't think Saban would have hired Kiffin for one year only.

If indeed Kiffin is telling Saban to forget any multiple year commitment from him...and is now making Saban sweat out whether he needs a new OC, or is using the interest from the pro team to leverage his pay up...well...what goes around comes around. :smile:

Kiffin was toast as far as being a coach...Saban lifted him up and gave him a last chance...I see nothing noble in Kiffin welching on the agreement he made with Saban to stay several years. If a man demonstrates that his word has no value...what good is anything he says?

My objection when Kiffin came in was he was undependable...I still hope I was wrong and he stays.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I would be very surprised if Kiffin jumped ship. I think if he did it would prove (at least in my eyes) that he hasn't really matured that much and isn't interested in "repairing" his image. Leaving after only one year to go be an offensive coordinator for the niners makes zero sense at putting him back on track for a heading coaching job. Going to Alabama to work under Saban does.
This assumes he wants to be a head coach again...which I agree is a fair assumption. However, who is to say he'd rather continue to "repair" his image as an OC in the NFL in a place near where his wife and kids already live?

As I said earlier in the thread, hope he stays but I won't be surprised if he goes either.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Don't know if he goes or stays, but the NFL overtures aren't at all surprising. You're not going to do the kind of job that he did this year on such a big stage like Nick Saban Alabama and not have the phone ring...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Just wondering out loud but aren't there some similarities between Kiffen leaving early (potentially) and players leaving early? Both are cases of "take the money and run".:conf2:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Don't know if he goes or stays, but the NFL overtures aren't at all surprising. You're not going to do the kind of job that he did this year on such a big stage like Nick Saban Alabama and not have the phone ring...
And isn't this a good thing? Do we really want coaches that nobody else wants? Your statement is right on the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

The fact that CNS let CLK run the offense and the fact we had such success to me means if CLK leaves there are plenty of OCs out there salivating to have access to Bama's offensive storehouse of talent.

If he leaves, IMO it won't be a problem in the long run.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Just wondering out loud but aren't there some similarities between Kiffen leaving early (potentially) and players leaving early? Both are cases of "take the money and run".:conf2:
Considering Kiffin has already made 20+ million dollars as a head coach, well, that doesn't fit. "Take the money and run" implies that you didn't have the money to start with. Outside of Nick Saban, he's probably the wealthiest coach in post-Bryant UA football history.

Whatever his decision, money isn't the driving factor at this point.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

And isn't this a good thing? Do we really want coaches that nobody else wants? Your statement is right on the money.
Bingo.

If Dave Rader's phone ever rung, it was either a telemarketer or a wrong number. Much better to have good coaches that you may lose than bad coaches who will only leave with a pink slip and a wake of destruction in their path.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I just wouldn't want to lose him then have the players that learned under him have to "unlearn" his ways and have to "learn" a new coach's. It's a lot of transition to have to deal with that can effect the development and progress of the team which ultimately impacts the season.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I just wouldn't want to lose him then have the players that learned under him have to "unlearn" his ways and have to "learn" a new coach's. It's a lot of transition to have to deal with that can effect the development and progress of the team which ultimately impacts the season.
I think you've explained why Saban made Kiffin agree to stay longer than one year when he hired him.

Hooks4bama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2005
Montgomery

What concerns me is, his wife and kid are still living in California while he is renting an apartment in T-town. Doesn't sound like someone who is planting his roots for an extended stay.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

What concerns me is, his wife and kid are still living in California while he is renting an apartment in T-town. Doesn't sound like someone who is planting his roots for an extended stay.
I don't really care where his family lives, but Saban very clearly said Kiffin and his family would be moving to Tuscaloosa when he announced the hiring. There seems to be some confusion about how long Kiffin committed to staying in Tuscaloosa, but it looks like the confusion got started when Saban expected Kiffin to move his family to Tuscaloosa and then he did not do it.

So I'm back to wondering...if Kiffin had been honest with Saban and told him he would not move his family to Tuscaloosa...would Saban have wanted him under that circumstance? I don't think so. I also don't think Saban would have hired Kiffin for only a one year term.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I don't really care where his family lives, but Saban very clearly said Kiffin and his family would be moving to Tuscaloosa when he announced the hiring. There seems to be some confusion about how long Kiffin committed to staying in Tuscaloosa, but it looks like the confusion got started when Saban expected Kiffin to move his family to Tuscaloosa and then he did not do it.

So I'm back to wondering...if Kiffin had been honest with Saban and told him he would not move his family to Tuscaloosa...would Saban have wanted him under that circumstance? I don't think so. I also don't think Saban would have hired Kiffin for only a one year term.
This is news to me. I'm hoping there's some legitimate reason that he did not move them there and that has already been worked out between he and Coach Saban.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.