Lane Kiffin Confirms Return to Alabama

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Lane Kiffin a candidate for 49ers OC job

I don't think Saban would have hired Kiffin for one year only.

If indeed Kiffin is telling Saban to forget any multiple year commitment from him...and is now making Saban sweat out whether he needs a new OC, or is using the interest from the pro team to leverage his pay up...well...what goes around comes around. :smile:

Kiffin was toast as far as being a coach...Saban lifted him up and gave him a last chance...I see nothing noble in Kiffin welching on the agreement he made with Saban to stay several years. If a man demonstrates that his word has no value...what good is anything he says?

My objection when Kiffin came in was he was undependable...I still hope I was wrong and he stays.
This guy left Tennessee after one year to take over a sanction-ridden Southern California. I hold him in high regard when it comes to his ability to scheme an offense. In fact, I think the only reason he busted at Southern Cal was due to those sanctions but he was misguided to take that job over a Tennessee program with a full complement of scholarships. This would be just another example of him chasing the next big thing when he owes it to people who invested in him to commit.

Kiffin is a great coach and deserves the interest he gets from other programs and NFL franchises but I think it is a folly to expect him to show some commitment. It's just not in his personality. Its a positive in some sense but the guy always is shooting for the next big break.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

I suppose someone has already said it, but the new head coach out there does not look like a great hire. Question: does Kiffin think he has a chance to parley a good-enough OC performance into the HC job? Or does a falling tide sink all ships? I reckon on the 49ers going with a proven championship-winning HC in either 12 or 24 months, and Kiffin is not really that.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

If I were CLK, one thing could make me leave Alabama after one year: this thread...
If he's got time to sift through message boards and worry about what others think then he needs to leave. People in general have an opinion about everything, and I mean everything. Things that don't mean diddly squat in their own lives, they have an opinion about. While at a stop light in front of Home Depot yesterday my wife sees this obese lady walking out of a convenient store wearing clothes that really didn't compliment her body (and that's real, real nice). First thing out of my wife's mouth was "She has no business wearing that. That is just shameful." Now, what that woman was wearing, should have been wearing etc. absolutely meant nothing to my wife's day. But she felt the need to give her opinion about it. I really didn't care either way so I just never acknowledged it and when the light turned green we went on and I turned up my new Garth Brooks CD I was listening too.

People have opinions about everything.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

The world is falling apart... Folks getting upset over assumptions and speculation. ....it's not that deep. Yall be easy!

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

I would be very surprised if Kiffin jumped ship. I think if he did it would prove (at least in my eyes) that he hasn't really matured that much and isn't interested in "repairing" his image. Leaving after only one year to go be an offensive coordinator for the niners makes zero sense at putting him back on track for a heading coaching job. Going to Alabama to work under Saban does.
Yeah this right here.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

If he's got time to sift through message boards and worry about what others think then he needs to leave. People in general have an opinion about everything, and I mean everything. Things that don't mean diddly squat in their own lives, they have an opinion about. While at a stop light in front of Home Depot yesterday my wife sees this obese lady walking out of a convenient store wearing clothes that really didn't compliment her body (and that's real, real nice). First thing out of my wife's mouth was "She has no business wearing that. That is just shameful." Now, what that woman was wearing, should have been wearing etc. absolutely meant nothing to my wife's day. But she felt the need to give her opinion about it. I really didn't care either way so I just never acknowledged it and when the light turned green we went on and I turned up my new Garth Brooks CD I was listening too.

Garth Brooks? What kind of person are you?

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

Fun fact: when I was a senior in high school, I kissed Garth brook's daughter at a track meet in Catoosa,OK. She was a Pole Vaulter and a freshmen at the time so I don't like brag about it as some monumentius thing. But uh ya. That happened.. Hehe.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Fun fact: when I was a senior in high school, I kissed Garth brook's daughter at a track meet in Catoosa,OK. She was a Pole Vaulter and a freshmen at the time so I don't like brag about it as some monumentius thing. But uh ya. That happened.. Hehe.
It's funny you would bring that up. (And very impressive...:smile:)

I'm trying to tie that back in with what this thread has been discussing...

Let's just say I'd like to see Layla give Pole Vaulting a try. I bet it would be something to remember.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

It's funny you would bring that up. (And very impressive...:smile:)

I'm trying to tie that back in with what this thread has been discussing...

Let's just say I'd like to see Layla give Pole Vaulting a try. I bet it would be something to remember.
You are about to take this to non-sports. :smile:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

LOL! Yeah we've strayed a bit. I just don't see the advantages for Kiffin to make this move to the niners.
I don't either which I why I'm not worried one bit. Frankly, he OWES Saban PERIOD. If he has grown, like he says, he will pay that back with loyalty. Nobody was going to touch him with a 39 1/2 foot poll. He was radioactive and CNS threw him a life raft. He'll stay.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I don't either which I why I'm not worried one bit. Frankly, he OWES Saban PERIOD. If he has grown, like he says, he will pay that back with loyalty. Nobody was going to touch him with a 39 1/2 foot poll. He was radioactive and CNS threw him a life raft. He'll stay.
Yeah. I think the same way. He breaks this promise and he's essentially done after his next fail.

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL

Yeah. I think the same way. He breaks this promise and he's essentially done after his next fail.
Precisely. Any coach thinking about hiring Kiffin from here on out is going to poll Saban about his thoughts. If Kiffin screws Saban here, he is committing career suicide.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

I love this so funny.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Saban is staying.

We've won two national titles with Jim McElwain, one with Doug Nussmeier, and made the playoff as the top seed with Lane Kiffin. Saban won a national title at LSU with Jimbo Fisher calling plays and Will Muschamp doing the defense.

Saban won an SEC title in a game where his starting QB left with an injury while trailing by ten points against a team poised to play for the national championship.

So as long as he's here, it really doesn't matter who's directing traffic, and I, for one, am not gonna worry about it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.