Lane Kiffin Confirms Return to Alabama

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Lane Kiffin a candidate for 49ers OC job

Forgot bout the Bears.. they interviewed him last night. What a mess Rams and 49ers got themsleves in.. 49ers is better off with Chyrst.. since they haven't really " let him go" especially now that Bears is most likely to hire Gase as you stated... so Shannon is still avalable.. If I were Kiffin, i would avoid this... and wait until next year... Folks will be going after him for HCs on College level and OC/HC on Pro level The 49ers is a huge mess... The way they handled the whole thing, makes me nervous and I don't think all is well over there... I wouldnt be suprised to see Kap asking to to be traded next year.
Nothing officially but there is quite of bit of noise about Gase becoming the Bears next OC.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

Lane already did a stint with a "messed-up" program" once before (see Raiders), so I wouldn't imagine that he'd go down that road again....but what do I know?? lol

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Lane already did a stint with a "messed-up" program" once before (see Raiders), so I wouldn't imagine that he'd go down that road again....but what do I know?? lol
I don't know man. There are some people in this world that cannot wait to make another bad decision. I've got family members and some friends like this. It's something that cannot be explained. They'll make three bad decisions, finally make a right one, say they have "learned their lesson". Then it's almost like they can't take it anymore. They just have to make a bad decision.

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

I get your point. But, even if Tomsula is 100% the dufus he comes across as, the 49ers have MILES to go before they're even close to being in the Raiders' league in terms of "messed up".

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

I get your point. But, even if Tomsula is 100% the dufus he comes across as, the 49ers have MILES to go before they're even close to being in the Raiders' league in terms of "messed up".
It'll probably come down to moving the raiders organization. OKC would be fine with me, worked well with the Sonic/Thunder (NBA), A little to close to dallas country though.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Wait not so fast.... Read this:

"Well, well, well. Indianapolis Colts special assistant Rob Chudzinski could be back on the radar for the San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator job. While the Colts have reportedly declined any interview requests, they will not be able to do that next week. According to multiple reports, Chudzinski's contract is up next week. When his contract expires, he is free to do whatever he wants."

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Lot of teams are denying interviews requests for several positions and I wonder if there is something going on within the organization for them constantly getting denied.... Something isn't right. Either personnel have told the organization to deny the interviews because they didnt want to go there... or the organizations is being jerk about it.

read more about this: http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/...ered-dc-and-assistant-head-coach-job-to-vance

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

It'll probably come down to moving the raiders organization. OKC would be fine with me, worked well with the Sonic/Thunder (NBA), A little to close to dallas country though.
San Antonio or L.A. are the only two choices the Raiders will have at this point. SA is making a huge push for them.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Lot of teams are denying interviews requests for several positions and I wonder if there is something going on within the organization for them constantly getting denied.... Something isn't right. Either personnel have told the organization to deny the interviews because they didnt want to go there... or the organizations is being jerk about it.

read more about this: http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/...ered-dc-and-assistant-head-coach-job-to-vance
The only time a team would deny a coach from interviewing is if they planned on retaining them. Chud's contract expires next week and the Colts wanna hold on to him. The Niners denied Ronald Curry (former UNC Point Guard/QB) from leaving to go with Greg Roman to Buffalo, because we wanna keep him to move into the WRs coach position.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Interesting!
The only time a team would deny a coach from interviewing is if they planned on retaining them. Chud's contract expires next week and the Colts wanna hold on to him. The Niners denied Ronald Curry (former UNC Point Guard/QB) from leaving to go with Greg Roman to Buffalo, because we wanna keep him to move into the WRs coach position.

Swanny

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2004

Wow, Ronald Curry. Hadn't heard that name in a long time. Probably the best high school football player I ever saw. Had opportunity to speak with his HS coach and he said he was a better punt returner than QB

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

I don't think just a change of address is going to help the Raiders. A change of ownership would be a good start, though. if you've ever seen an interview with him, you know that this guy doesn't just look like an imbecile...

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Interesting!
All that said, it will matter greatly what Chud wants to do. Pep Hamilton is firmly entrenched as the OC there in Indy due to his relationship/history with Andrew Luck (heck..that's how he got the job in the first place). And Chud did what most former HCs do. He served as a "special advisor". Very vague. Jim Tressel did that for the Colts before I think. Eric Mangini did it for the 49ers before being promoted to TEs coach last year. (and now he's a Def. Cor candidate for SF..really weird, but whatever).

So Chud's name is out there..

Not a secret that I'm a 49er fan. And I'm not even sure that I've mentioned it here. But as it pertains to us (Bama), no worries at all. Chudzinski and Kiffin are both represented by (drum roll) Jimmy Sexton. We've seen this movie before and know how it ends. Before Sunday (when Kiffin's name first surfaced for the job), Chudzinski was with the Colts in the playoffs. So Sexton took that opportunity to put that out there in hopes of putting the screws to Bill Battle (which he'll probably be successful in doing) and getting Kiffin a little more money to fulfill his last 2 years of his contract. But Chud is the guy in SF...or maybe even Mike Shannahan. I'd be REALLY shocked if they went Lane Kiffin.

I say that because everything that we (the 49ers) are doing is according to script. Retread coaches. Recycled coaches. I just don't see them going outside of the box. It'll be a "safe" hire, especially with a (technically) first time head coach.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I want to see Jimmy Sexton's list of his clients!!!!! I never thought about all of this. I've been intriqued by 49ers since they let Harbough go.

All that said, it will matter greatly what Chud wants to do. Pep Hamilton is firmly entrenched as the OC there in Indy due to his relationship/history with Andrew Luck (heck..that's how he got the job in the first place). And Chud did what most former HCs do. He served as a "special advisor". Very vague. Jim Tressel did that for the Colts before I think. Eric Mangini did it for the 49ers before being promoted to TEs coach last year. (and now he's a Def. Cor candidate for SF..really weird, but whatever).

Not a secret that I'm a 49er fan. And I'm not even sure that I've mentioned it here. But as it pertains to us (Bama), no worries at all. Chudzinski and Kiffin are both represented by (drum roll) Jimmy Sexton. We've seen this movie before and know how it ends. Before Sunday (when Kiffin's name first surfaced for the job), Chudzinski was with the Colts in the playoffs. So Sexton took that opportunity to put that out there in hopes of putting the screws to Bill Battle (which he'll probably be successful in doing) and getting Kiffin a little more money to fulfill his last 2 years of his contract. But Chud is the guy in SF...or maybe even Mike Shannahan. I'd be REALLY shocked if they went Lane Kiffin.

I say that because everything that we (the 49ers) are doing is according to script. Retread coaches. Recycled coaches. I just don't see them going outside of the box. It'll be a "safe" hire, especially with a (technically) first time head coach.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I hope Broadway does not see this. He will think you are the owner :D!

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006

Maybe I'm wrong here but doesn't Kiffin still collect on his contract with USC? I thought I read where they are paying him the remainder of his contract (minus what he makes at UA). If that's the case what good does a raise from UA do for him? Say he's collecting 3mil from USC but then comes on board at UA and get's 600K. USC's payout is reduced to 2.4mil...with UA's 600K that still totals 3mil. If this is indeed correct I don't see any incentive to give him a raise...he'll still only make 3mil/year (hypothetical numbers).

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Maybe I'm wrong here but doesn't Kiffin still collect on his contract with USC? I thought I read where they are paying him the remainder of his contract (minus what he makes at UA). If that's the case what good does a raise from UA do for him? Say he's collecting 3mil from USC but then comes on board at UA and get's 600K. USC's payout is reduced to 2.4mil...with UA's 600K that still totals 3mil. If this is indeed correct I don't see any incentive to give him a raise...he'll still only make 3mil/year (hypothetical numbers).

The SC contract runs through 2015 but there are no restrictions on what UA can pay him. UA can pay whatever they want to pay him. It would just lessen what SC has to pay him

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.