Lane Kiffin Confirms Return to Alabama

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Re: Lane Kiffin a candidate for 49ers OC job

This could well be another lesson he learned from Coach Saban. As you probably know, Coach Saban's deed is not in his name.
There can't be many seven-figure sales in Tuscaloosa County. Granted, $7.5M on the beach in SoCal buys a lot less house than even $2M in Tuscaloosa. Still, I can't imagine Kiffin putting Layla and kids in even a high six-figure Tuscaloosa house.

My guess, with exactly 0% inside information, is that he's worked a visitation deal, with either the UA plane or something similar ferrying one segment or other of the Kiffin clan between Tuscaloosa and LA.

I think he's done a fabulous job as OC at Alabama. I'd also be surprised if he were in Tuscaloosa in 2016.

Additionally, while I think he has the Xs and Os, and the recruiting prowess, I'm not at all convinced that even the matured Kiffin is a cultural fit for the HC job in Tuscaloosa.

Last edited:

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL

There can't be many seven-figure sales in Tuscaloosa County. Granted, $7.5M on the beach in SoCal buys a lot less house than even $2M in Tuscaloosa. Still, I can't imagine Kiffin putting Layla and kids in even a high six-figure Tuscaloosa house.

My guess, with exactly 0% inside information, is that he's worked a visitation deal, with either the UA plane or something similar ferrying one segment or other of the Kiffin clan between Tuscaloosa and LA.

I think he's done a fabulous job as OC at Alabama. I'd also be surprised if he were in Tuscaloosa in 2016.

Additionally, while I think he has the Xs and Os, and the recruiting prowess, I'm not at all convinced that even the matured Kiffin is a cultural fit for the HC job in Tuscaloosa.
certainly not trying to be a smarty pants or anything like that and i know i'm nit-picking your post but what constitutes a good 'cultural fit'? i can think of 3 guys that were good cultural fits in the last 20 or so years that were head coaches at the University.....coaches stallings, dubose and shula. 2 of those 3 were really not that good. i would argue that coach saban isn't necessarily a 'cultural fit' at Alabama......he has no southern accent, had no ties to Alabama, didn't play here, didn't grow up in the state, etc. i personally think that coach kiffin would do pretty well as head coach (here or anywhere else) AFTER a couple or 3 more years spending time as OC. jmo.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I do think, unless he brings the wife and kids over, this will probably be the last year. If he moves them and buys a house, then there may be a good chance of a third year...
I know being a coach is a strange life, but I can't see being that far away from my family for that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Ol
certainly not trying to be a smarty pants or anything like that and i know i'm nit-picking your post but what constitutes a good 'cultural fit'? i can think of 3 guys that were good cultural fits in the last 20 or so years that were head coaches at the University.....coaches stallings, dubose and shula. 2 of those 3 were really not that good. i would argue that coach saban isn't necessarily a 'cultural fit' at Alabama......he has no southern accent, had no ties to Alabama, didn't play here, didn't grow up in the state, etc. i personally think that coach kiffin would do pretty well as head coach (here or anywhere else) AFTER a couple or 3 more years spending time as OC. jmo.
Hmmmm....guess I should have been more specific. When I referred to "a cultural fit," I wasn't referring to Southern culture at all. I was referring to the demands of the Alabama Head Football Coach job. Point being, we agree that Stallings was a cultural fit. But I would contend that that had nothing to do with his Southern-ness. And I disagree that either DuBose or Shula were fits.

The Alabama HFC has to be tough but fair. Shula was neither. Knowledgeable TF posters have repeatedly noted that players called him "Sheila." He was also notorious for playing favorites. He was neither tough nor fair.

The Alabama HFC has to command respect. DuBose failed that on several fronts. Aside from the affair with an Athletic Department employee, he retreated into religious zealotry (the last refuge of the scoundrel, as Dr. Johnson said), pitted staff members against one another, completely overhauled game plans the day before kickoff. He totally failed to command respect or to lead in a manner that makes others want to follow.

The HFC at Alabama has to balance a lot of contradictions. He has to come off as a lovable grandfather when appropriate, but have that air that says, "I'm nice now, but cross me and I'll knock your ?&)&; in the dirt so fast you won't know where that truck came from."

He has to handle the print and broadcast media well. Not make the ink-stained wretches and talking heads like him, but rather handle them to get a message out.

Where I think Kiffin lacks is the respect factor. Not as to his knowledge. That's unquestioned. It's his ability to be the public face of the most prominent institution in the state. He's 40 years old, and while he has matured some, every time he gets in front of a microphone, he still has a wide streak of smug smartass fraternity BMOC.

At this age, I just think it's hardwired, and isn't going to change. That's acceptable, maybe even desirable, in the HC at some schools. It's acceptable in an assistant at Alabama. It's not acceptable in the HFC at Alabama.

So when I say he's not a cultural fit, I'm talking about for the demands of this unique job, not that he needs to come across as a good ol' boy. Saban is a perfect cultural fit, and he's about as far away from a GOB as you can get.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

There were quite a few, although I think more rival fans, who didn't think Saban was a fit, either...

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Last edited:

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere

At this age, I just think it's hardwired, and isn't going to change. That's acceptable, maybe even desirable, in the HC at some schools. It's acceptable in an assistant at Alabama. It's not acceptable in the HFC at Alabama.

So when I say he's not a cultural fit, I'm talking about for the demands of this unique job, not that he needs to come across as a good ol' boy. Saban is a perfect cultural fit, and he's about as far away from a GOB as you can get.
Agree on all counts...

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

Where I think Kiffin lacks is the respect factor. Not as to his knowledge. That's unquestioned. It's his ability to be the public face of the most prominent institution in the state. He's 40 years old, and while he has matured some, every time he gets in front of a microphone, he still has a wide streak of smug smartass fraternity BMOC.

I know hearing from my USC dad and brother, and the people they knew at the school, said that Kiffin was clearly uncomfortable talking in public when he was head coach. It didn't matter if the media was present, if it just was USC boosters, etc. He just wanted to prepare for the next opponent and recruit - simply the "inside the job" responsibilities, and in some ways, that's what he excels at. My dad is of the opinion, and right now I agree with him, that Kiffin is probably best suited as an OC, regardless if it's the college level or the NFL. He didn't handle wearing the many hats that head coaches of any college football program has to wear all that well, and he does love coaching the athletes and coming up with ways to maximize their success on the field.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
^^
How can Kiffin confirm return to Alabama? He didn't leave. :wink:

Looking forward to what our offense can do with coach and players more familiar with each other. For some reason I think our OL will be better and that should lead to a better offense.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Ol

Hmmmm....guess I should have been more specific. When I referred to "a cultural fit," I wasn't referring to Southern culture at all. I was referring to the demands of the Alabama Head Football Coach job. Point being, we agree that Stallings was a cultural fit. But I would contend that that had nothing to do with his Southern-ness. And I disagree that either DuBose or Shula were fits.

The Alabama HFC has to be tough but fair. Shula was neither. Knowledgeable TF posters have repeatedly noted that players called him "Sheila." He was also notorious for playing favorites. He was neither tough nor fair.

The Alabama HFC has to command respect. DuBose failed that on several fronts. Aside from the affair with an Athletic Department employee, he retreated into religious zealotry (the last refuge of the scoundrel, as Dr. Johnson said), pitted staff members against one another, completely overhauled game plans the day before kickoff. He totally failed to command respect or to lead in a manner that makes others want to follow.

The HFC at Alabama has to balance a lot of contradictions. He has to come off as a lovable grandfather when appropriate, but have that air that says, "I'm nice now, but cross me and I'll knock your ?&)&; in the dirt so fast you won't know where that truck came from."

He has to handle the print and broadcast media well. Not make the ink-stained wretches and talking heads like him, but rather handle them to get a message out.

I agree with what YOU said.

Coach Saban and Coach Bryant were/are stern taskmasters. You look them in the eye and you will BLINK or melt! You would probably be shaking in your boots or cleats when Coach Bryant was descending that tower. Both were/are the whole ball of wax! Others have tunnel vision. These two had/have Global Vision!

As for Shula and Kiffin, they are pretty boys. Look them in the eye and you see a baby face. Now, if they tell you, "this is the way it's going to be", you might just laugh (ROTFLOL). If Coach Saban told you the same, there may be fear in your heart and from your head to your toes. Same with Coach Bryant. They COMMAND RESPECT!

DuBose, the "clapper" didn't seem to command respect either. With that nasal twang, I don't think Fran who turned the "rope" loose, commanded RESPECT either.

If Price had been able to stay, I'm not sure where team meetings would be. Could be a local bar or strip club.
So, I don't think he commanded respect, but he may have been able to recruit people who liked to party!

I'm just NOT sure where you would categorize Coach Ray Perkins. He tore down The Man's tower. What was he afraid of? I think he may have been stern but I don't think he knew how to run the entire organization known as Alabama Crimson Tide football. I do believe he had tunnel vision.

As an assistant (Offensive Coordinator), I think Coach Kiffin likes to tinker with the toys that he has and see just what he can do with those gifted toys like Cooper, Drake, et al. I'm excited to see what Coach Saban will let him do with the Tinker Toys. And I do think Coach Kiffin is a very good OC. However, I sure wished he had run the ball about 15% more against tOSU!

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Saban will have the media trained by the time he leaves. Kiffin is a top notch recruiter, he's young, charismatic, and with just a little more seasoning could be a fine representative of this football team.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Bryant - His way or the highway, A+
Perkins - arrogant, C-
Curry - mediocre, B-
Stallings - His way or the highway, A
Dubose - Cheerleader, D
Franchione - Snake oil salesman, C
Shula - Clueless, F
Saban - His way or the highway, A+

Kiffin, hopefully he is doing on the job training for HC.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
For those against Kiffin ever being the HC at Alabama, remember we as fans said he acted like he earned a triple when he was really just born on third base by being named head coach of the Raiders and then Tennessee and USC.

He was hired by Oakland at 32, by Tennessee at 33, and by USC at 34.

He really had not had time to mature as an assistant and understand how to be the public face for a program. He's the same age as Kirby. The minority thinks Kirby would be a bad hire for a school. What's the difference between the two? Kirby was behind Saban at the same ages Kiffin was behind the microphone.

Scarbinsky wrote a column about Kiffin giving fans and the media reason to believe he could be a head coach at Alabama after he had his bowl press conference. Look at some of Scarbinsky's comments:

Lane Kiffin didn't hesitate. He didn't waffle or waver or drop his eyes down and to the left.

I asked Monday morning, at his much-anticipated Sugar Bowl media session, if he planned to be back at Alabama next season. He looked me right back in the eye and said: "Yes. Definitely."
Kiffin looked and sounded like a head coach Monday. Unlike some coordinators at these media sessions, he wore a suit and tie instead of a sweatsuit. He looked every person who asked a question in the eye and came across as a more mature version of the always brash and often foolish head coach he'd been at Tennessee and USC.

He managed to be humble, funny and honest. Midway through Kiffin's 21 minutes with the print media, SI.com's Pete Thamel asked what he has to do to become a head coach again because "you're viewed as a divisive guy in the industry."

"Thanks, Pete," Kiffin said with a smile. "Divisive. God, this was going so well." And then he talked of worrying "only about what you can control."

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Hard to believe this thread is still going!

I guess now that he has said he is returning, we need to rationalize why it's good that he return.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Hard to believe this thread is still going!

I guess now that he has said he is returning, we need to rationalize why it's good that he return.
Well, according to some orange puke fans, they are thrilled...but somehow, I think they are being disingenuous.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Bryant - His way or the highway, A+
Perkins - arrogant, C-
Curry - mediocre, B-
Stallings - His way or the highway, A
Dubose - Cheerleader, D
Franchione - Snake oil salesman, C
Shula - Clueless, F
Saban - His way or the highway, A+

Kiffin, hopefully he is doing on the job training for HC.
Wow Perkins was an arrogant C- and a lower grade than Curry???

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I see the pattern here... A(Bryant) CB A(Stallings) DCFA(Saban) So we're due for B or lower grade coach?
I doubt we get another "Saban-like" coach with the next hire. Coaches like Bryant, Saban, etc. only come around every few decades if that. Most college programs never have a great coach. So for Bama to have as many as we have is simply remarkable.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.