Lane Kiffin Confirms Return to Alabama

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Re: Lane Kiffin a candidate for 49ers OC job

In this case, because of Kiffin's buyout with USC, I don't think it helps Sexton nor Kiffin.
Unless I'm mistaken if Kiffin gets say a 200,000 raise at Bama then that's 200,000 less that USC has to pay him, so it's really six of one--half dozen of the other.
Has the contract terms with USC ever been made public?

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

Seems clear that Kiffin isn't leaving, but his actions today solidify it. He's in Florida recruiting for Bama.
You would think if he was the "frontrunner" that he would have already been interviewed by now. I tend to agree with you.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Has the contract terms with USC ever been made public?
I read somewhere about the buyout clause sometime back so I'd say so. I just know that any coach fired with a buyout, who takes another coaching job, has any earned salary deducted from his buyout money...at least in 99% of the cases.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

I read somewhere about the buyout clause sometime back so I'd say so. I just know that any coach fired with a buyout, who takes another coaching job, has any earned salary deducted from his buyout money...at least in 99% of the cases.
Which is why CLK's salary with Bama isn't a whole lot currently--unless he has gotten a raise since the Sugar Bowl. I saw a list of assistant coaches salaries about a month ago, and I don't think it was even $300K. There were Sun Belt coaches who made more than CLK. I wonder if there is some kind of tax incentive to take a lower salary at a current job if you have a HUGE buyout?

ETA: From al.com:
Here are the details:

-- Compensation: $680,000 for the first two years and $714,000 for the third year.
-- Length: Three years.
-- UA will pay for a country club membership at North River Yacht Club.
Is this $680K for each year or $340K for each year?

ETA2: From an article I just found: http://www.theofficialreview.com/firing-the-20-million-man-lane-kiffin/

Most likely, USC will have to pay Kiffin for the remaining years on his contract — almost $8 million. We can’t say for sure because USC is a private school and the contract terms are available only to a few people. But it’s safe to assume the contract includes the standard provision requiring the school to “buy out” any remaining guaranteed contract salary owed to the coach unless he is fired for cause.

Last edited:

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com

If CLK's ultimate goal is to be a collegiate head coach again, then the obvious decision is to stay and assimilate more deeply into Coach Saban's system, and wait for the right college job to come along (probably in the next 2 or 3 years). Hopscotching back to the NFL as an assistant does nothing to burnish his resume as a future college HC and the quick move probably lends credence to the narrative of Kiffin the nomad who bolted from Tennessee after 1 year as opposed to Kiffin 2.0 who would put down roots somewhere.

If his ultimate goal is be an NFL head coach or a career NFL coordinator (as his Dad has mostly been), then the choice gets more murky. Another year or two under CNS in Tuscaloosa doesn't necessarily hurt that ambition, but it isn't necessarily an advantage either. The question would come down to whether he felt the 49ers situation right now was a good one.

But I have to question whether CLK would leave without the blessing of Coach Saban. I believe his gratitude for Coach Saban reaching out to him during a tough time is real, and I doubt Jimmy Sexton wants to create a situation with Kiffin that would upset CNS, since they are close friends. Of course, if CNS would be to bless this move, then that would change things and would be a sign that things would be okay regardless.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

Will Muschamp is the only exception I can think of. I'm not sure how Florida let that happen.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

Remember Kiffin saying he would pay Bama just to coach under Saban. I think now's a good time to cut his pay to about $500,000. Save a few bucks.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

Remember Kiffin saying he would pay Bama just to coach under Saban. I think now's a good time to cut his pay to about $500,000. Save a few bucks.
If anything I'd say give Kiffin a raise. I think he did an exceptional job with Blake Sims and also calling the offensive plays.
Want to stop coaches from leaving for greener pastures? It's all in the green backs.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

As a former journalist ... I can truly say I hate so called articles like this. There is officially no news, just taking speculation and adding a quote from Saban ... this "story" is not a "story" until we get an official that Kiffin has accepted a position with someone else. Right now , all that matters is he is employed by The University of Alabama (ok I'm done ranting)

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

As a former journalist ... I can truly say I hate so called articles like this. There is officially no news, just taking speculation and adding a quote from Saban ... this "story" is not a "story" until we get an official that Kiffin has accepted a position with someone else. Right now , all that matters is he is employed by The University of Alabama (ok I'm done ranting)
I agree,the reason for the post was just what it is reading material,but he didn't really make a statement about it.So I thought I would post it.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

I agree,the reason for the post was just what it is reading material,but he didn't really make a statement about it.So I thought I would post it.
I read it that if Lane does have an opportunity to go back to the NFL, Saban would support him.
I also think Saban and Lane have talked about it and Saban knows if offered, Lane probably is gone.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I read it that if Lane does have an opportunity to go back to the NFL, Saban would support him.
I also think Saban and Lane have talked about it and Saban knows if offered, Lane probably is gone.
Well, IMHO, if he leaves Saban`s staff after only one year, he`d better hit a homerun in his next job. If he doesn`t, you can stick a fork in his coaching career. It`s done. Take it from an "old guy", he`s got a golden opportunity to build equity in his career that could be priceless for him and his family in the next 10-15 years.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007

Maybe the wait isn't on kiffen or the 49rs but coach saban to find a replacement and when he finds the replacement the deal goes down , if not,kiffen stays put.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Well, IMHO, if he leaves Saban`s staff after only one year, he`d better hit a homerun in his next job. If he doesn`t, you can stick a fork in his coaching career. It`s done. Take it from an "old guy", he`s got a golden opportunity to build equity in his career that could be priceless for him and his family in the next 10-15 years.
I don't think it's about what we think. I think Saban is helping someone (Kiffin) and neither really care about our two cents! JMHO

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I don't think it's about what we think. I think Saban is helping someone (Kiffin) and neither really care about our two cents! JMHO
Absolutely! But it`s fun to discuss, express opinions and speculate. That`s what boards are for, don`t you think?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.